Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This whole issue was settled conclusively 150 years ago. The small angry loudmouth minority now doing everything they can to draw attention to themselves aren't significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
I think people are overlooking a lot of things

a) Not everyone in the South is bereft at the direction the US is going. Many down there are making appreciable progress. For instance, when the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage was ruled, a couple of my Southern born-and-bred friends from NC called me to tell me how happy they were about it.

b) The modern South is populated in earnest by Yankees, Hispanics, and of course many native and Northern blacks. Let's be real here - who really has a serious secessionist attitude down there? I'm going to say it's predominantly older Southern whites, especially men. I doubt those types make up a strong numerical majority in the South anymore and besides, the clock is ticking.

c) Unfortunately, I don't think that many people really care this much. Americans of all regional backgrounds seem too busy with their vapid entertainment culture and daily annoyances to be bothered with momentous political obstacles such as preserving the very delicate Union.

Yes! Thank you.

I'm an immigrant AND a former Yankee (lived in a "progressive" Midwest state for 14 years before moving South). The sweeping generalizations made about the South could just as easily apply to most other parts of the US (and, to a lesser extent, my home country of Canada, for that matter).

People in the South, overall, are no more racist, uncultured, poorly educated, misinformed, myopic, culturally-centric and proud, xenophobic, intolerant, and prone to groupthink than are LOTS of Americans - across all age groups, races/ethnicities, religious/cultural/socioeconomic backgrounds - in most other parts of the country. What I see here I saw aplenty in the Midwest. I see it in parts of NY state where my cousins live. I saw it in the SF Bay area, where I visited a good friend last year. I've seen it in family and friends in the different parts of Canada I lived in. And I definitely saw it in my parent's home country of the UK.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
It would dangerous for us and the world.the south without the north would ,within a generation,degenerate into a dangerous paranoid christian theocracy and aparthied state , it would be a military bully not much different than a modern nazi germany.we would be spending a fortune on our military trying to protect ourselves from them. science would be outlawed and reprogramming camps for gays would pop up all over the place.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:53 PM

572 posts, read 552,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
It would dangerous for us and the world.the south without the north would ,within a generation,degenerate into a dangerous paranoid christian theocracy and aparthied state , it would be a military bully not much different than a modern nazi germany.we would be spending a fortune on our military trying to protect ourselves from them. science would be outlawed and reprogramming camps for gays would pop up all over the place.

wow, and to think that Southerners are considered prejudiced etc etc...

Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
If this is a serious post, I think you've been seriously programmed, yourself, dude.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:09 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
As an immigrant to the US, it occurred to me, that there's not a lot of political difference between US born Confederate Flag waving types, and US born Muslim Jihadists who travel to the Middle East. They both oppose things the US stands for. In fact from the narrow perspective of what's best for the US, the Jihadists may be preferable. They at least focus their energy and activity overseas.
Sounds like you immigrated to a liberal city or academic community on one of the coasts, and you have adopted the gross generalizations and prejudices of the locals. Like Obama, you obviously see these lesser inferior Americans as "clinging to their guns and religion".

And that, in a nutshell, is why people in some of the rural areas and southern states are talking about secession. Sick of Northern urban snobs looking down on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.