Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I am all for BOTH parents participating in all aspects of the child: financially and emotionally. A mother is not just the one who cooked for the child. A father is not just the one who sent a paycheck. It takes more than that to be a mother and father. It's a blessing but also a responsibility.

^^^ equal responsibility. It just doesn't happen unfortunately.
So perhaps the state should make abortion illegal and if a pregnancy occurs force the couple to marry and raise the child together. I bet that would make people be more careful who they slept with and more diligent about their bc.

Seriously though your not a parent until there is an actual living breathing child. That is the distinction you cant seem to grasp. The responsibility begins when and if there is a child born.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:25 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So perhaps the state should make abortion illegal and if a pregnancy occurs force the couple to marry and raise the child together. I bet that would make people be more careful who they slept with and more diligent about their bc.

Seriously though your not a parent until there is an actual living breathing child. That is the distinction you cant seem to grasp. The responsibility begins when and if there is a child born.
And exactly whose decision was it to give birth to an actual living, breathing child?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Then use birth control along with a vesectomy. The failure rate for vasectomies is 1%. Easy enough to use a female or male condom in conjunction.
1% is an extremely terrible failure rate, though. After all, this means that out of every 500 men with vasectomies, the odds are over 99% that at least one of these men's vasectomies will fail.

Quote:
An online aquaintance...sure. Must be in the world records. Never heard of even two methods failing. Use three if you must.
Well, it's certainly not impossible for three birth control methods to simultaneously fail either.

Quote:
You will not get a female pregnant if you follow my advice. Here are three things that I guarantee if used together and correctly will result in zero pregnancies. You won't even have to get a vasectomy.

1. Use a condom, female or male, and also use spermicide.
Condoms and spermicide have an extremely terrible failure rate if one takes user error into account (as I always certainly do).

Quote:
2. Use the pill or IUD. Even a diaphragm works. Depo provera is great too. ( the female picks one)
It has to be something that I can easily verify, though.

Quote:
3. Use the withdrawal method
How about I avoid sticking my penis into a vagina in the first place? Yeah, you heard me--that's pretty much how I feel about the withdrawal method. In other words, I personally just don't see a point in pulling in in the first place if one if going to pull out prematurely.

Quote:
If you won't use birth control then either try abstinence, engage in different kinds of sexual relations, or find a partner who can't have children.
How about surgical castration plus taking hormone replacement therapy afterwards, though?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Also, it is worth noting that male-bodied people can get raped by female-bodied people.

Oh, and in regards to risk, here you go:

Holy Craps! How a Gambling Grandma Broke the Craps World Record - TIME

That's right--1 in 1.56 trillion!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretBartley View Post
No need to do that - just get a vasectomy and put your sperm in a sperm bank.

Wise women do not trust a man who says he's sterile or had a vasectomy - she takes care of birth control herself. Men should do the same. It's not too much to ask.
Vasectomies can and sometimes do fail, though.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:51 PM

85 posts, read 84,186 times
A responsible man will do his best not to get a woman pregnant and if an accident happens and she does get pregnant but promises to abort than the woman should follow through with it. If she changes her mind she should be the only one liable for the welfare of the child since she backed out of the deal.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
1% is an extremely terrible failure rate, though. After all, this means that out of every 500 men with vasectomies, the odds are over 99% that at least one of these men's vasectomies will fail.

Well, it's certainly not impossible for three birth control methods to simultaneously fail either.

Condoms and spermicide have an extremely terrible failure rate if one takes user error into account (as I always certainly do).

It has to be something that I can easily verify, though.

How about I avoid sticking my penis into a vagina in the first place? Yeah, you heard me--that's pretty much how I feel about the withdrawal method. In other words, I personally just don't see a point in pulling in in the first place if one if going to pull out prematurely.

How about surgical castration plus taking hormone replacement therapy afterwards, though?
The vast majority of those failures are in the first few months. That's why they tell you to use alternate methods while waiting. Then you go back at three months and six months to get tested. After that the failure rate is minuscule, and the doctors do more than they used to to make it more effective. It's pretty much 100% effective after the first year.

Condoms plus spermicide are quite effective if you just follow the directions. Use a male and female condom in tandem if you are with someone you think isn't using the pill or other method effectively. Discuss it with your doctor if you have issues with condom use. They are not that complicated and the sex Ed classes usually go over it.

A diaphragm can be inserted in front of you if you think she is being irresponsible with the pill. You can go with her to the doctor while she is getting her depo shot, or she can show you the records.

Also, there are many different ways to engage in physical intimacy and only one has pregnancy as a product. The Kama sutra may help.

I have no idea what happens during surgical castration or the ramifications, and it sounds very severe in nature. Discuss it with your doctor.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-02-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Also, it is worth noting that male-bodied people can get raped by female-bodied people.

Oh, and in regards to risk, here you go:

Holy Craps! How a Gambling Grandma Broke the Craps World Record - TIME

That's right--1 in 1.56 trillion!
Yes, males can be raped. That should be reported and action taken by the police. A male that is very worried about that can reduce his sperm count by wearing tight underwear, taking very hot baths. Vaselgel will hopefully be available in the near future.

It would be interesting to know how often a male is raped to provide sperm, and what happens when a child is made. I suspect it is a very very very very small number since sperm is legally available using sperm banks.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:49 PM

I forgot to mention Norplant, which you can see under the skin. Highly effective. .05% failure rate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norplant

I'm not sure it's still available, but there are other implants that are...
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/lea...plant-implanon

The IUD has strings that hang down, so you can physically feel it.

Nuva ring is another very effective Bc.

Also, the today sponge is still available by planned parenthood.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-02-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 PM

602 posts, read 505,342 times
My idea to handle cases where a pregnancy occurred from a conception done by rape or other illegal/fraudulent means (e.g. the football player's GF who stole his banked sperm) is that the suspect by default (whether that's the mother or father) upon conviction loses all parental rights to that child (but not responsibilities like child support!) while the victim can decide to raise the child on his/her own (with child support from the suspect), get an abortion if the mother, relinquish the child to the suspect (if not incarcerated) with the understanding that the victim would not pay any child support, or put the child up for adoption (alleviating their responsibilities in the process).

Last edited by KellyXY; 09-02-2015 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates