Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 AM

53 posts, read 54,812 times

Advertisements

I'll never understand this. When you die by lethal injection you are tied down, drugged, then forced to have a needle put in your arm and watch as the drugs enter your veins. WTF?? Not that I plan on being executed for anything but damn, I'd MUCH rather be killed by a firing squad, hanged, or hell even the guillotine than that! Now I am all for the death penalty for the absolute worst of society such as pedophiles, rapists, serial killers etc. but it's always seemed ridiculous to me that lethal injection is considered the most humane. I mean hell, I'd rather sit in a chair and breath in toxic fumes via the gas chamber than be tied down and endure a needle being inserted into my vain (I HATE NEEDLES!!!). ****, I'd take the electric chair over lethal injection. What sounds worse, being killed by 100s of thousands of volts or having a needle forced in your arm wherein tons of toxic chemicals are forced through your veins? I'll take the electric chair ANY DAY!!! To be quite honest personally if it were up to me I'd have all of the above available for use and let the person being executed choose which way to die, to me giving a person about to be executed several different forms of execution and letting them choose which way they want to go out seems the most humane thing to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 09:44 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Perhaps you should read up on the causes of death and time-frames before making such a statement. Yes, there are potential complications with lethal injection, but compared to the other methods they are extremely minor.

Descriptions of Execution Methods | Death Penalty Information Center

Multiple lead projectiles forcibly tearing through the chest followed by a few minutes bleeding to death while trying to breath through punctured lungs that are filling with blood, or an IV stick similar to identical procedures performed all around the world every day?

Not that I plan on doing anything calling for the death penalty, but if if happened then lethal injection is the clear choice.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
In any scenario, the person knows they are about to die. In any scenario the person is tied down. To you needles are scary, but to most others they are not. Doing it via needle is meant to reduce suffering and lead to a quicker death. All the other methods you mentioned involve a lot of violence and several minutes of excruciating pain that the person is completely aware of before they die. Some would argue they deserve it, so who cares, but we are supposed to be as humane as possible and with the needle they drift off more peacefully (I assume it is similar to putting a pet to sleep). Maybe to make it even more humane, the person can be given laughing gas or offered mind altering pills so they aren't even aware of what is happening to them??? Idk, lol.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times
OP, you'd rather get shot, burned alive, beheaded, hung, drowned, eaten by animals, etc. than get a lethal injection? Which is basically like a routine shot from the doctor?

Old 11-18-2015, 12:21 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Wouldn't the guillotine be the most humane method? assuming, of course, it worked properly. Nothing worse than having to haul the blade back up to the top for another go or two..

“A parachute not opening… that’s a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine… having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that’s the way I wanna go!”

I will mention.. I was seated on a jury a number of years ago now.. Cops were trying to get a DUI conviction. They breathalyzed the guy, he blew a 0.02, which basically agreed with him saying that he had a beer at the bar he was pulled over coming out of the parking lot for failure to stop.. Dash cam of the cop car looked like he pretty well stopped to me..

They still brought him up on the DUI charges because he refused to take a blood test. Said he was scared of needles. Offered to pee in a cup, give hair, whatever else, but no needles.. I've always thought the prosecutor pled the case out when he saw the look of disgust I was giving him during his presentation of the case. I didn't care if I was going to hang the jury or go for nullification on that case. I hate drunk driving, but I hate cops and prosecutors overstepping their bounds as well.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
In any scenario, the person knows they are about to die. In any scenario the person is tied down. To you needles are scary, but to most others they are not. Doing it via needle is meant to reduce suffering and lead to a quicker death. All the other methods you mentioned involve a lot of violence and several minutes of excruciating pain that the person is completely aware of before they die. Some would argue they deserve it, so who cares, but we are supposed to be as humane as possible and with the needle they drift off more peacefully (I assume it is similar to putting a pet to sleep). Maybe to make it even more humane, the person can be given laughing gas or offered mind altering pills so they aren't even aware of what is happening to them??? Idk, lol.
Yeah, but at the very least is it so wrong to let the person condemned to death choose? And while it may be more "violent" what does it really matter how violent it is when you are going to die? And not all other alternative forms of execution lead to several minutes of excruciating pain. You think if a firing squad all shot someone in the head a person would be around to experience pain?

At least Utah allows firing squad. Believe it or not, firing squad is a very humane way to die. You are given a blindfold, so you don't see the shooters, and if the shooters have good aim, you're dead very quickly, much quicker than lethal injection, and much less possibility for failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
OP, you'd rather get shot, burned alive, beheaded, hung, drowned, eaten by animals, etc. than get a lethal injection? Which is basically like a routine shot from the doctor?
Hyperbole, much? Sure things like being burned alive, drowned, eaten by animals is worse but I would most DEFINITELY take being shot, quickly beheaded and hung than be given lethal injection. Apart from just the fact I hate needles more than anything it would be a hell of a lot more psychologically troubling for me. Yeah they put you to sleep but just being tied down and having two IVs stuck in me knowing they are stuck there and no way to remove them is FAR more scary than standing up tied to a steak, blind folded (though honestly I would hate to be blind folded), then having about 10 men shoot me which I am pretty sure would mean insta-death. If I were going to die I actually think being quickly beheaded would actually be the coolest way to go considering I at least would get to see if it's true that afterwards you can still remain consciouss for a bit. As for hanging of course you are immediately dropped and neck snap, also insta-death.

Now sure you can say "But what if something goes wrong?" well as per the case awhile back of that one person that was executed by lethal injection that it went wrong and apparently greatly suffered even LI can mess up to. But I hate needles and given IVs more than anything! Hell when I had a bad tooth infection a few months back I was told that because of the infection pulling the tooth out would be especially painful but they could give me some anesthesia to make it hardly noticeable but because it involved an IV I said "**** that, just pull!" (I actually said that to the oral surgeon). Oh yeah it was very painful but I'd still do that than get an IV or any kind of needle near me!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
You in particular, have a phobia. And you may want to look into reconciling it, because what if you need a serious surgery or something and you can't get around avoiding a needle or IV? The majority of people are not phobic enough of needles to prefer electrocution or getting their head chopped off (though I agree that is probably the next best method).

With a firing squad, there are usually 5 men with guns all aimed at the heart. One person has a real bullet the rest have blanks so they don't know which one of them actually kills the person. There is most definitely suffering, even if he gets a good shot.

The lack of violence and suffering and the quickness of the death is also to protect the people involved in executing the person, so they don't suffer any trauma watching the person die, knowing they are responsible for their death.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
With a firing squad, there are usually 5 men with guns all aimed at the heart. One person has a real bullet the rest have blanks so they don't know which one of them actually kills the person. There is most definitely suffering, even if he gets a good shot.

The lack of violence and suffering and the quickness of the death is also to protect the people involved in executing the person, so they don't suffer any trauma watching the person die, knowing they are responsible for their death.

You've got that backwards. It's one blank, four live rounds. Since nobody knows who had the blank, all of the shooters can claim it.

I think you're right about the humaneness of the method of execution being as much for the benefit of the witnesses and executioners as for the condemned.

And as long as there is capital punishment, could we at least treat it as a loathsome necessity, and not something to be celebrated?

Last edited by P47P47; 11-18-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You in particular, have a phobia. And you may want to look into reconciling it, because what if you need a serious surgery or something and you can't get around avoiding a needle or IV? The majority of people are not phobic enough of needles to prefer electrocution or getting their head chopped off (though I agree that is probably the next best method).

P47P47 was correct, 1 blank, the rest have live rounds, which I think is ridiculous because I'd hate to be the one with the blank. If some serial killer or rapist was tied to a chair (why a chair as opposed to just tying them to a stake out in the middle of nowhere?) I would much prefer knowing I helped in causing that person's death. How does lack of violence and suffering and quickness protect people involved cause trauma watching them die knowing they are a serial killer or rapist? I'd be cheering!!

Call me crazy but I know I wouldn't feel the least bit bad or ever lose any sleep over killing some bad guy by firing squad or watching them go through lots of violence, suffering and it being slow.

And at least for me having my head chopped off or being electrocuted is a million times preferable than dying by LI.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
You've got that backwards. It's one blank, four live rounds. Since nobody knows who had the blank, all of the shooters can claim it.

I think you're right about the humaneness of the method of execution being as much for the benefit of the witnesses and executioners as for the condemned.

And as long as their is capital punishment, could we at least treat it as a loathsome necessity, and not something to be celebrated?
Well, I for one don't view it as a loathsome necessity, but as a good way to get rid of and spending good money on scum. So I celebrate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates