Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 36,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Latinos are not white. Some latinos are white.

Latino is an ethnicity, not a race. How hard is this for some people to understand?
I've always considered Hispanics/ Latinos a national background's group rather than an ethnicity, it's like saying an Asian Britsh (Indian) from Glasgow migrates to NYC and identifies himself as "Scottish American" Same goes for Moroccos's Arabs and South African Whites for "African American" The only exception are Spanish Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Generally someone that is at least 87% European is not of dark complexion, but as I said above some Germans are VERY tanned. The Mexican DNA is AMerindian.
I'm 100% of Turkish origin and my skin is light brown, yet technically I'm "Non-Hispanic White" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
And, a woman in my office is half Hispanic. Her mom immigrated from Mexico as a child and later married her white dad.
You can't be half Hispanic for having a Mexican parent, either you are or you're not Hispanic, the former would be the case. Mexicans may have Native American, Castilian, Arab, Basque, French, small Black African slave, Italian, Jewish, Portuguese, Irish origins etc, in different proportions. Not only strictly-modern-Spain/Hispanic American brought African slave/Only-found-in-Hispanic America Amerindian ethnicities blood. If this woman's mom were 6.25% Jewish German, she wouldn't herself be 100% Hispanic then.

Who is an "ethnic Puerto Rican", anyway?. Let's say, my mom is from Lebanon and speaks Arab, my father is from New Zealand, half Irish, the rest English, Norwegian and Maori. They move from Christchurch to San Juan, where I'm born, go to school and learn Puerto Rican Spanish. Then we all relocate to Florida by the time I'm 17. I'm now an Hispanic of any race, so I think my kids will be half Hispanic (Puerto Rican) at least.

Last edited by Mehmet_chinchilla; 01-01-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 AM

190 posts, read 192,912 times
Just consider whites as blacks and be done with the stupidity that skin color defines a person.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 PM

25 posts, read 31,926 times
White and black are not races! They are social statuses created by the government to separate and divide. There is no such thing as a "white person," "red person" or a "black person," in reality we are ALL different shades of brown. Latinos are not "white people" they are a mixture of people; you can have "black Latinos" as well. Its all about your linage and DNA, you got what you would considered some "white Latinos" who have about 30% of West African ancestry which is an significant amount.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,719 times
Latinos will never become white because most of them are mixed race.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORISH-AMERICAN View Post
Its all about your linage and DNA, you got what you would considered some "white Latinos" who have about 30% of West African ancestry which is an significant amount.
I would say that 30% African causes a person to look African rather than white. This woman is 23% African and still looks African:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTERqO9aIhI

Old 01-08-2016, 06:42 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,180,812 times
In American racial terms it is more than what you look like. What is publicly known about your heritage is also a factor. Thus if it was known you had African DNA you and your children could be seized and owned until someone was able to "pass" and shield their heritage.

For example when pop star Mariah Carey first hit during her first marriage they left in the air her heritage and publicly she only went so far to say her father was Brazilian. After the divorce and a reset as a R&B singer. nothing changed in her looks only the public knowledge and pictures of her father due to the internet and a new marketing strategy

Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,913,122 times
Quote:
I would say that 30% African causes a person to look African rather than white. This woman is 23% African and still looks African:

She 23% African but the breakdown shows she is 4% North African(Maghrebi) and 19% Subsaharan African.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maghrebis

Old 01-08-2016, 10:21 AM

1,431 posts, read 914,573 times
Quote:

No she doesn't. She looks mixed. She doesn't have the facial features or hair that a typical black person has. I'm light skinned, but besides my eye color, it's obvious that I'm black.

Besides that, there are whites and Arabs that are African. South Africa and Egypt are two countries I can think of right off the bat that have large populations of people that aren't black.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
No she doesn't. She looks mixed. She doesn't have the facial features or hair that a typical black person has. I'm light skinned, but besides my eye color, it's obvious that I'm black.

Besides that, there are whites and Arabs that are African. South Africa and Egypt are two countries I can think of right off the bat that have large populations of people that aren't black.
I am not saying she has an entirely Sub Saharan phenotype, but as you said the African DNA shows. But, this will be a moot point in about 10,000 yeas when humans will be a homogenized blend of many ethnicities rather that a "half, a quarter or 2/3s" of this and that.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,415,996 times
We should personally have once race. Its called the human race and anyone who is human is part of it. Why do we break ourselves down like this and segregate ourselves? That is what leads to discrimination, prejudice beliefs, and a lot of hate. I am an Arab, as an Arab I have to classify myself as white, unfortunately I never get the benefits of being considered "White", and I never get treated as white and I face lots of hate. Our society has many things messed up in it still. One major step in the right direction would be to break down the way we segregate ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates