Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:08 AM

25 posts, read 31,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
No she doesn't. She looks mixed. She doesn't have the facial features or hair that a typical black person has. I'm light skinned, but besides my eye color, it's obvious that I'm black.

Besides that, there are whites and Arabs that are African. South Africa and Egypt are two countries I can think of right off the bat that have large populations of people that aren't black.
Are you trying to argue with her DNA results!? You dont have to possess "African features" to be African or "black" I know dark skinned black people with European noses! I know dark-skinned "black" people with curler hair than some Latinos including ones in my family, so what are you talking about!? The reason she dont have the facial features or hair type of a "black" person is because he's mixed

Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 PM

270 posts, read 198,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you a Latin American?

Anyone with Afro hair is black regardless of skin color.

Where did you hear that??
No, I am Black American. But I have a Master's degree in Latin American & African History. I have traveled to DR, Panama, Mexico, Colombia, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica. I have a lot of Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Salvadoran, Mexican and Brazilian friends here in the States.
Most people in Latin America are not called "black" unless they are very, very dark although it certainly varies from region to region. Other factors come into play like social class.
I am light skinned. I have kinky hair (well, used to, I am getting old) I tell people all the time that I am "Norteamericano Negro." They look at me like I am crazy.
Their definition of "white" is completely different from ours. Certainly, your "Mariah Carey types" are white without question. I am not saying it is right or wrong.
Same thing in the Caribbean and Africa--high yellow dudes like me are not considered "black."

Last edited by BougNeg1; 01-21-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
Where did you hear that??
No, I am Black American. But I have a Master's degree in Latin American & African History. I have traveled to DR, Panama, Mexico, Colombia, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica. I have a lot of Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Salvadoran, Mexican and Brazilian friends here in the States.
Most people in Latin America are not called "black" unless they are very, very dark although it certainly varies from region to region. Other factors come into play like social class.
I am light skinned. I have kinky hair (well, used to, I am getting old) I tell people all the time that I am "Norteamericano Negro." They look at me like I am crazy.
Their definition of "white" is completely different from ours. Certainly, your "Mariah Carey types" are white without question. I am not saying it is right or wrong.

You have a point. IN the USA a white person was defined as a person without a single drop of black blood.

In other parts of the world Jews, Greeks, Spaniards, Italians, French, Portuguese, Romanians, and even some tanned Germans are considered high yellow. It all depends on how racist people are.

Mariah Carey could pass for latina because she does not have african hair. In some parts of Latin America white is someone that has no obvious African traits. In Puerto Rico 80% of the population is white according to the census data.

The overseas perception of black Americans is that they are as dark as native Africans. They don't get the brown or tanned skin.

But, why are folks so obsessed with classifying people? Are we dogs or cats?

[/quote]Same thing in the Caribbean and Africa--high yellow dudes like me are not considered "black."[/quote]

It is all about perspective. I have known pink skin blondes with pale blue eyes and white hair that only consider themselves as white. Anything else is high yellow.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:37 PM

3,862 posts, read 2,230,919 times
Quote:
And today a Cuban is?
Today Cubans are considered ethnic minorities under the guise of "Latino/hispanic" ethnicity.

That concept completely did not exist in the past, which is why the claim that cubans played in the major leagues "ahead of other minorities" is nonsensical.

The reason that Cubans always played in the major leagues is because they were not considered to be minorities at all.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Today Cubans are considered ethnic minorities under the guise of "Latino/hispanic" ethnicity.

That concept completely did not exist in the past, which is why the claim that cubans played in the major leagues "ahead of other minorities" is nonsensical.

The reason that Cubans always played in the major leagues is because they were not considered to be minorities at all.

It seems the US government has created racism where there was no racism.

Why is that?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
It seems the US government has created racism where there was no racism.

Why is that?
Socially Latinos were another ethnic group, perhaps facing anti Catholic prejudice also like the Irish and Italians, it was an informal Latino caucus joining with the Democratic political party who decided as a power bloc to go after a portion of the remedies that a liberalizing society was giving to Blacks and a lessor extent Asians which had felt the full might of the government boot on their necks.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Socially Latinos were another ethnic group, perhaps facing anti Catholic prejudice also like the Irish and Italians, it was an informal Latino caucus joining with the Democratic political party who decided as a power bloc to go after a portion of the remedies that a liberalizing society was giving to Blacks and a lessor extent Asians which had felt the full might of the government boot on their necks.
Fair skin Cubans and Puertoricans played baseball in the major leagues well ahead of Jackie Robinson.
Way back them there were only two racial classifications: Black and white.

Now we are the way the Old South Africa used to be.

What is the difference between a hispanic white and a non-hispanic white? That is another NEW classification.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:06 PM

3,862 posts, read 2,230,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Socially Latinos were another ethnic group.
No there was no concept of a Latino ethnic group. Cubans were a nationality group unrelated to Puerto Ricans and mexicans. And they were categorized by their race, with the vast majority being white and not distinguished from other European nationalities.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
Mulattoes (Drake) rarely can pass as "white" because their physical features tend to lean towards their black side. On the other hand white/Asian (Olivia Munn) and white/non-black Hispanic (Selena Gomez/Demi Lovato/Jessica Alba) mixed people can pass as white.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORISH-AMERICAN View Post
Are you trying to argue with her DNA results!? You dont have to possess "African features" to be African or "black" I know dark skinned black people with European noses! I know dark-skinned "black" people with curler hair than some Latinos including ones in my family, so what are you talking about!? The reason she dont have the facial features or hair type of a "black" person is because he's mixed
Tina Sumpter and Jordin Sparks have European features, but anyone can look at them and tell that they're black. I grew up with plenty of black people from all over the world (Miami). Even Hispanic people from my city would guess that she's either Puerto Rican or Dominican from first glance. She has larger lips, but she doesn't really look black.

By the way, 23% African is not a large percentage. That's not even a quarter, and a lot of half black people barely look black (Blake Griffin). Come to think of it, I have a good friend with Blake Griffin's complexion, but he has obviously black features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates