Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Did I hear correctly on the radio the other day that Obama has already pardoned more people than the last 5 presidents combined?

I wonder if on his last days he will simply open the doors at Gitmo and let everyone wander away?
Rather than make innuendo you should provide a source rather than guess and spread unsubstantiated rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
If the constitution is ever modified again this is one area it should have some checks not just let 1 person decide on pardon.

This is not only presidents also governors examples would be
Arnold Schwarzenegger pardon's political friends son who murdered a college student.
Governor reduces sentence of former Assembly speaker's son - latimes

Schwarzenegger response was he was helping out a friend. You know with Obama's end coming he will do the same I'm sure they are lining up.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And it's been abused since. Even Bill Clinton in his own words says he tarnished his legacy pardoning Marc rich. Also pardoned his brother and a host of others waiting until his last day of office.

No doubt there are other examples from other presidents over the past couple of centuries, as well.

That doesn't mean the practice should be abandoned.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:09 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
The detterant value of the pardon power of the President is alone worth the price of admission, imo.
The President just recently used it to realease people jailed for life for dealing pot, as an example.
And if the Pres. didn't have that power I could see some states having half their population in jail.
And the other half getting the guard jobs.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:34 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
The war on drugs has been a failure. President Obama recognizes that fact and has used the power to pardon to release some of these people after they have already served ten years or more of huge sentences that range from 30 years to life imprisonment.

The power of pardon can be misused, but is a critical part of our system. Let me give some examples of when it is proper to use it:

1. The President is dealing with the fact that three American agents are being held as spies in the country of Tazmaniastan. Tazmanistan indicates that it will release these agents if we will trade an agent who was spying on our country.

2. A man is in federal prison and new evidence, like DNA testing, surfaces indicating that the man didn't really commit the crime.

3. A federal inmate saves the life of a the prison warden or another official during a prison riot.

4. The President truly believes that a sentence for a particular offense is disproportionate given the amount of harm that was caused by the offender when compared to other inmates convicted of other crimes.

5. A man who has committed a crime has served a lengthy sentence and there is near absolute proof that the man has been rehabilitated. Perhaps, even his victim is calling for his release.

Now, there is an issue with abuses of the power of pardon. Actually, one of the most clear cut situations involving this occurred in the 1970's when Ray Blanton was Governor of Tennessee. Blanton was convicted of literally selling pardons to convicted criminals. There is an argument for taking the power of pardon away from a single person like a governor or the President and placing it in the hands of a board of pardons. That might be something to consider.

I remain unconvinced that Obama or Clinton actually abused this power.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
No! Pardoning a turkey for thanksgiving yes! Dumbest thing this nation has allowed and a middle finger up to whoever came up with this idea. What was the point of this decision? At least dismiss the idea of friends and family being involved. How is it determined who individuals are? Is it done fairly?

Old 12-20-2015, 10:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I would like it if congress had the ability to override a pardon with a 2/3rd majority of both houses, this would give a little balances to it.
Clinton's pardon of Marc rich was disgustingly corrupt. and is one of the biggest reasons I do not trust Hillary, if they were willing to do something that corrupt right out in the open, then what do you think they would ( and did) behind closed doors.

bill
Yes, we need another "balance" for the balance? At some point it becomes ridiculous. So now we're going to call upon a "do nothing" congress to vote on dozens of pardons?

I'd say the "balance" is in the press - the press reports on it and it is tried in the court of public opinion. It couldn't be overturned but it's out in the light of day. This is not a country of direct governance where everyone gets a say in every decision - you're just not gonna like all the decisions or even most of them <shrug>

Old 12-20-2015, 01:12 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Did I hear correctly on the radio the other day that Obama has already pardoned more people than the last 5 presidents combined?

I wonder if on his last days he will simply open the doors at Gitmo and let everyone wander away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You either heard wrong or the commentator was wrong:

Clemency Statistics | PARDON | Department of Justice
Thanks to NBP, let's crunch some numbers....

I've taken the total of all pardons, commutations and remissions issued by all U.S. presidents since Harry Truman, then divided that total by the number of months the president was in office (all raw numbers taken from NBP's link). In descending order of acts of clemency per month in office:

74.7 - Harry S Truman
15.5 - Lyndon B Johnson
13.9 - John F Kennedy
13.2 - Gerald Ford
12.9 - Richard Nixon
11.5 - Dwight D Eisenhower
11.1 - Jimmy Carter
4.13 - Bill Clinton
4.09 - Ronald Reagan
1.97 - George W Bush
1.54 - George HW Bush
0.78 - Barack Obama

Two things jump out at me:

(1) Ronald Reagan seems to have ushered in an era of a lowered number of acts of clemency.

(2) Barack Obama is by far the most stingy with his pardon pen.

Now to be be fair, President Obama is still in office, so his acts of clemency per month in office will most likely rise. To match Ronald Reagan's rate, which is when the era of diminished presidential clemency began, Barack Obama will need to perform roughly another 325 acts of clemency in the remaining year of his tenure.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Thanks to NBP, let's crunch some numbers....

I've taken the total of all pardons, commutations and remissions issued by all U.S. presidents since Harry Truman, then divided that total by the number of months the president was in office (all raw numbers taken from NBP's link). In descending order of acts of clemency per month in office:

74.7 - Harry S Truman
15.5 - Lyndon B Johnson
13.9 - John F Kennedy
13.2 - Gerald Ford
12.9 - Richard Nixon
11.5 - Dwight D Eisenhower
11.1 - Jimmy Carter
4.13 - Bill Clinton
4.09 - Ronald Reagan
1.97 - George W Bush
1.54 - George HW Bush
0.78 - Barack Obama

Two things jump out at me:

(1) Ronald Reagan seems to have ushered in an era of a lowered number of acts of clemency.

(2) Barack Obama is by far the most stingy with his pardon pen.

Now to be be fair, President Obama is still in office, so his acts of clemency per month in office will most likely rise. To match Ronald Reagan's rate, which is when the era of diminished presidential clemency began, Barack Obama will need to perform roughly another 325 acts of clemency in the remaining year of his tenure.
Clinton pardoned 140 on his last day in office. Considering that, any inclusion of Obama on the list is unfair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...on_controversy

However, I personally don't care about the sheer number but rather the types and motivations.

If someone pardons everyone serving time for a small amount of marijuana, I'm ok with that.

If the pardon is for anyone whose family has donated 100k+ to the politicians party etc. then I oppose.

Pardons of dead people to clear their record like clearing off all the arrests linked to civil rights marches? I'm totally fine with that.

Read down the Clinton list above....it's interesting, no further comment.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:34 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
I don't really have problem with issuing pardons to low level and non-violent offenders, but Clinton's pardons for the FALN terrorists set a dangerous precedent. I don't think violent felons and those convinced of national or internal security offenses should be eligible for a pardon.

I mean jeeze, the entire freaking US Senate ... every single sitting US Senator at the time ... voted to condemn the FALN pardons. If Bozo tried that today he would probably be impeached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates