Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 04:22 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times

Advertisements

Hyper Capitalism places value solely on revenue earning individuals (working adults) or potential revenue earning individuals (kids). The elderly are thus seen as past their useful working life and thus of little value to society. Hence our culture's dismissive and heartless approach to the elderly and our absurd obsession with being and looking "youthful". So don't blame the young for being rude to the elderly. They were raised that way.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:37 PM

119 posts, read 139,565 times
I agree that my fellow Millennials are chock full of our own problems, including, sometimes, manners.

However, our generation is far less thieving, murderous, and "rapey" than Gen-X'ers and Boomers were, when they were as young as we are now. Generally speaking, of course. Just two examples: the awful, less-organized, street gangs throughout NYC from about 1968 to 1993, and the awful, more-organized, street gangs in Los Angeles from about 1975 to 1999. Where are those jerks today? Where are our generation's roving group of nasty jerks today that roam in groups, wreaking havoc on anybody, including a senior, that gets in their way?

I'm pretty sure someone from south L.A. or Brooklyn will agree with me. I'd like to see a country bumpkin or sheltered suburbanite counter me.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
I don't think so. In fact it could be the opposite. I'm a decade away from being a senior but people in their 20s are generally nice and respectful towards me. Also look how so many young people listen to old music...they don't hate it just because it's old. Look how they are the biggest supporters of Bernie Sanders, they could care less how old he is...previous generations would have no interest in anyone that old..in the 1960s there was a saying "Dont trust anyone over 30". My hunch is this is the least ageist generation we ever had..at least in recent memory.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
The OP should ask their parents to explain “the generation gap” or to remember the saying, “don’t trust anyone over 30.”

Boomers invented intergenerational conflict.

I can’t tell you how many fathers and boomer sons tangled over the draft, demonstrations and long hair.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Young people are trying to survive in an ever increasing ruthless and cut throat country. No one cares about anyone, and its all about how well can you extract wealth. I would say exploitation is at all time highs in the USA with the proliferation of low wage mcjobs and how people have to be absolutely ruthless or incredibly intelligent to navigate the employment/business landscape to do well and be successful.

People have to much on their minds to worry about other people in the mall. Its not going to get any better.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:47 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Live in an area filled with retirees who snowbird half the year and the opposite is true. 70 y olds behaving like spoiled teenagers, rude and entitled. We count the weeks until they head home. They are awful. The older people who live here year-round are lovely. You can peg a rude, entitled snowbird a mile away. One actually SNAPPED her fingers at a retail clerk, like pay attention to me, you are my servant. Just jaw dropping.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Live in an area filled with retirees who snowbird half the year and the opposite is true. 70 y olds behaving like spoiled teenagers, rude and entitled. We count the weeks until they head home. They are awful. The older people who live here year-round are lovely. You can peg a rude, entitled snowbird a mile away. One actually SNAPPED her fingers at a retail clerk, like pay attention to me, you are my servant. Just jaw dropping.
That sounds like it might be related to wealth, not age. A person would need quite a bit of money to own two homes and be a snowbird. Actually, I've seen the same rude behavior in some elderly very rich people--in one of the richest, snootiest little towns north of Boston I went into the post office to set a package with a postage paid label down on the counter.

I was about 65 yrs old but a woman in line, looked about 80 snapped her fingers at me and ordered me to get in line. When I tried to explain that I didn't need to be in line, she wouldn't listen and continued to be rude. Later I knew some people who moved to that town who moved right out again due to the rude rich people.

There is another snooty town nearby and I stood looking at a little beach when a know-it-all-type woman came walking up and asked in a confrontational way if I lived there. She had walked over from the snooty rich cottages area but I was standing on what I knew was a public beach. I knew my rights though and she walked off.

These are rich people who aren't sure of their status--often nouveau riche. They are annoying but laughable (at least in small doses.)

My nieces are in their 20s and are polite and respectful.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That sounds like it might be related to wealth, not age. A person would need quite a bit of money to own two homes and be a snowbird. Actually, I've seen the same rude behavior in some elderly very rich people--in one of the richest, snootiest little towns north of Boston I went into the post office to set a package with a postage paid label down on the counter.

I was about 65 yrs old but a woman in line, looked about 80 snapped her fingers at me and ordered me to get in line. When I tried to explain that I didn't need to be in line, she wouldn't listen and continued to be rude. Later I knew some people who moved to that town who moved right out again due to the rude rich people.

There is another snooty town nearby and I stood looking at a little beach when a know-it-all-type woman came walking up and asked in a confrontational way if I lived there. She had walked over from the snooty rich cottages area but I was standing on what I knew was a public beach. I knew my rights though and she walked off.

These are rich people who aren't sure of their status--often nouveau riche. They are annoying but laughable (at least in small doses.)

My nieces are in their 20s and are polite and respectful.
Not really. Most of these people are not what people would consider very wealthy. They live in modest homes, not mansions. They eat at Panera and shop at Lowes.

They are just exceedingly rude. It's a lifestyle, being a snowbird, and they have learned to play a role. They are HORRENDOUS. (6 more weeks and counting). They are entitled and run right over you in the grocery store as if you are invisible. As in with their carts. They come down here and act like spoiled, bratty jerks. I can't imagine they act like this at "home" where they've lived for 30 years and everyone knows them.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
My Mom and I were discussing this the other day. She told me about her recent experience at a local mall.

My Mom was describing how she and my Father felt invisible while walking through a busy mall. She specifically singled out the younger generations and how they pretty much ignored my parents and walked right through them like they weren't even there or deserving of an "excuse me/pardon me".
They couldn't have walked right through them. You mean they walked right by them? If you brush up against someone it's standard etiquette to say "excuse me." That goes for everyone. They don't owe a person any more "respect" just based on their age.

Also, I refuse to stand up and give an older person my seat unless they seem to have a disability of some sort. Otherwise, i'm going to stay seated. I've gotten some passive aggressive dirty looks because of it but I don't really care. Want a good seat? Get there early.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
While they were very rude kids you obviously went out of your way to start a problem with them.
Their being rude to the cashier was between them and the cashier and/or store manager NOT YOU>
I agree with this in most situations, but from reading the post, it seems he didn't get involved until the teenagers started yelling racial epithets at him simply because he got up to leave the restaurant (which he had every right to leave if he wanted to). But, yes, the rudeness to the store was an issue for them to resolve on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates