Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,546 times

Advertisements

My Mom and I were discussing this the other day. She told me about her recent experience at a local mall.

My Mom was describing how she and my Father felt invisible while walking through a busy mall. She specifically singled out the younger generations and how they pretty much ignored my parents and walked right through them like they weren't even there or deserving of an "excuse me/pardon me".

This is not the first time she had mentioned this.

Now she could be more sensitive to this because she is a Senior and I assume that many Seniors of all generations say the same thing. "These kids these days have no respect".

But is there any truth to this? Have we raised an even more self-entitled, rude generation(s) or is this just youth?

I am in my mid-40s and live in a hipster area. I can see some age bias towards me as I have gray hair but I can't say it's excessive. I probably had some age bias myself when I was younger. But what I do notice is the bitchy/whiny (sp?) voices which absolutely drives me crazy. The Comedian, Louis C.K, did a very funny episode in his series, "Louie" describing this which was quite funny.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:08 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I'm 66, I don't see it.

In fact here in Colorado Springs I tired of hearing things like, "Excuse me, sir".

Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I am and I don't but my parents raised me right. To many don't. It isn't really on the kids.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Parents used to teach respecting your elders - even outside of your family. I find younger generations generally less polite to everyone they encounter.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I see many not all who are in that age group who think they are owned something more then anything else.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm 66, I don't see it.

In fact here in Colorado Springs I tired of hearing things like, "Excuse me, sir".

I tend to agree; tensions between the generations, (at least in public), are nowhere near as blatant as
was the case on the Sixties and Seventies -- and I attribute this to several factors; most notably,
the decline in blind allegiance to absolutes characterized by the mostly-departed "GI generation", and the greater civility toward just about everybody fostered by increasing societal diversity.

But Mr. phetarol also has a valid point: a lot of this civility is merely window dressing. And the game can still get rough when the stakes on the table are big enough.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
My Mom and I were discussing this the other day. She told me about her recent experience at a local mall.

My Mom was describing how she and my Father felt invisible while walking through a busy mall. She specifically singled out the younger generations and how they pretty much ignored my parents and walked right through them like they weren't even there or deserving of an "excuse me/pardon me".

This is not the first time she had mentioned this.

Now she could be more sensitive to this because she is a Senior and I assume that many Seniors of all generations say the same thing. "These kids these days have no respect".

But is there any truth to this? Have we raised an even more self-entitled, rude generation(s) or is this just youth?

I am in my mid-40s and live in a hipster area. I can see some age bias towards me as I have gray hair but I can't say it's excessive. I probably had some age bias myself when I was younger. But what I do notice is the bitchy/whiny (sp?) voices which absolutely drives me crazy. The Comedian, Louis C.K, did a very funny episode in his series, "Louie" describing this which was quite funny.
To some extent, it's just a function of being young. At that age, there tends to be a certain degree of obliviousness and self-absorption. People in their 20's aren't fully mature yet, their brains are still growing. Some are more mature than others. It's always been thus, in every generation. And they're not only that way with "elders", but with people their age, as well. Walking down the sidewalk in a group, spanning the entire sidewalk so no one else can get by, for example. Happens a lot.

It sounds like your parents are feeling invisible because of their age, but it really doesn't have anything to do with their age.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I do think older generations developed better interpersonal skills. Most younger people can't talk for more than 5 minutes before getting absorbed into their smart phone. The joke is computers were designed by anti social geeks and their inventions are making everyone anti social lol.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I do think older generations developed better interpersonal skills. Most younger people can't talk for more than 5 minutes before getting absorbed into their smart phone. The joke is computers were designed by anti social geeks and their inventions are making everyone anti social lol.
It's more that people check them like people use to check out their watch. I do both honestly.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
I think it's more that we are taught to respect people by who they are and not simply because of their age. So I guess my answer is both yes and no. People still respect older people, but are less inclined to of they don't earn their respect. Whereas in the past you simply gave the respect because someone was older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates