Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 AM

426 posts, read 395,126 times

Advertisements

No, language is seen as power. The same goes on on several european countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,759,979 times
If we close the southern border then the answer is probably yes, if we leave it open the answer is probably no. Any gains made by existing hispanics will be erased by newly arriving poverty stricken migrants from south of the border.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,670,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
I envision the western part of the country being "mecca".
Yup... Thats a home base for them..

Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Which Hispanic group? They come in different ethnicities. Ranging from Mexican, to Cuban, Puerto Rican, Ecuadorian, Colombian,etc. Last I checked, there are many well-off people of Cuban descent in the USA.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,790,072 times
I've passed by this thread several times and finally took the time to read it. I was surprised it was a question.

In my travels from the SE to SW states on up into the northern plains and mountain states, the Latino/Hispanic/whatever people I know or have just met, are doing just fine. To varying degrees of material success, like everyone else, but have at least enough and usually more than "enough."

Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
From what I know. Whites and Asians put a big priority on education. Education is the key to the best jobs. The Hispanic community, in general, does not put a high value on education, so they will continue to lag behind economically, with Blacks continuing to bring up the rear.
Based on my living and working experience in NYC, the Puerto Rican and Cubans, at least, made a bee-line straight for the eighteen campuses of the City University of New York. Many of my co-workers there were Hispanics, and the institution used to have an excellent work-study program in computer operations, which had a very heavy Latino enrollment. There was also an increasing number of recent graduates in the programming staff of the units I worked in.

I lived in a neighborhood that was mixed whites and Hispanics, and my young Hispanic friends in their thirties at the time worked in many different fields in both lower and middle-level positions.

Perhaps NYC is not typical, or perhaps Puerto Ricans and Cubans are focused more on education and upward mobility than other Hispanic groups, but based on what I saw for many decades I believe they will progress over several generations as did other immigrant groups. I would have more confidence in the vitality and drive of a growing Hispanic population in the U.S. than I would in the continued hegemony of complaining, whinging white Euro-mutts who seem to have ground to a halt in lifetime adolescence.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,910,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Based on my living and working experience in NYC, the Puerto Rican and Cubans, at least, made a bee-line straight for the eighteen campuses of the City University of New York. Many of my co-workers there were Hispanics, and the institution used to have an excellent work-study program in computer operations, which had a very heavy Latino enrollment. There was also an increasing number of recent graduates in the programming staff of the units I worked in.

I lived in a neighborhood that was mixed whites and Hispanics, and my young Hispanic friends in their thirties at the time worked in many different fields in both lower and middle-level positions.

Perhaps NYC is not typical, or perhaps Puerto Ricans and Cubans are focused more on education and upward mobility than other Hispanic groups, but based on what I saw for many decades I believe they will progress over several generations as did other immigrant groups. I would have more confidence in the vitality and drive of a growing Hispanic population in the U.S. than I would in the continued hegemony of complaining, whinging white Euro-mutts who seem to have ground to a halt in lifetime adolescence.

I totally agree in addition some of them their families have been in the USA for hundreds of years but yet they remain ignorant from generation to generation.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
I think future generations of Hispanics will rise in their average education and income levels. The second- and third-generation Hispanic Americans are already climbing up that social ladder. In some areas where Hispanic communities have been around for 50+ years, there are already many affluent Hispanics who have done very well for themselves.

Really recent immigrants shouldn't be compared to whites who aren't recent immigrants, IMO. Comparing someone who just arrived, with little formal education, who has few employment options, and so on, is kind of like comparing apples with oranges.

There's some discrimination against Hispanics, but I don't have the impression that it's as bad as discrimination against blacks. There are some pockets of tension in some locations, I know, but in general, Hispanics don't seem to run into problems like housing or hiring discrimination or racial profiling, etc., the way that many blacks constantly do.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,549,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The media doesn't have a memory that goes back even forty years.

They have ALWAYS been white - for all of American history. .

For census purposes, and only because folks were obsessed with counting blacks, and "orientals". So Hispanics were labeled "Spanish".

FACT is that there was tremendous race based violence directed towards Mexicans in the southwest and in fact even evidence of race based segregation.

Ditto for the Puerto Ricans in the northeast.

So the notion that Hispanics only ceased to be treated as "white" recently is nonsensical. Which group, who are treated as "white" in this country will agitate to be considered "nonwhite"!

Arabs are considered "white" for census purposes, even those who would be considered black, were their origins not North Africa. But yet look how easy it is for bigots to whip up animosity towards them, and look how many report the level of open bigotry that even blacks no longer have to fear!

Old 02-27-2016, 02:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,549,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The group I obviously left out of here was blacks. .

The entire struggle of blacks in this country is about integration. So any implication that they refuse to integrate is in fact a joke.

The question that I will ask is how many whites want to integrate with blacks. And if few do why be surprised that many blacks prefer to keep their distance in order to avoid being humiliated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates