Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Ridiculous, hopefully that can change.

won't happen until the next epidemic captures the headlines......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 733 times
When I was fifteen I was prescribed narcotic pain killers after a near fatal crash-I don't care what my age was or how addictive they are,if I'd have had to go through the multiple injuries,surgery and pain afterwards without anything it would have been a slow torture no child or adult should have to go through. Its great some people can bite the bullet and just take non narcotic pain relievers,but not everyone can nor should they have to. Throughout the years I was prescribed them for various legitimate reasons and eventually was prescribed them regularly. I've never done drugs and prided myself in that. The problems started not from the pills but from all the controversy started and people like me who had been on them years were suddenly stopped cold Turkey...in my opinion,every doctor should have to experience withdrawals from opiates,so they can't misinform clients,that they will have mild stomach cramps and flu like symptoms...WRONG. Withdrawal is what turns people insane and sadly turns many law-abiding,good people to street drugs,crime and death. And rarely do doctors have anything but disgust when you turn for them for help...and unless you can afford ridiculous amounts for private rehab,the few state funded rehabs (that always have a very long waiting list) are jokes. In Arizona,every county is different,the whole state is strict but in some county's and towns(Kingman being the worst I've ever seen) if you have a bone sticking out they still won't give you anything narcotic. They shouldn't be regulated so strictly or at all really,all it does is cause more problems. If a doctor prescribes to a patient And they get addicted or overdose that's on them...just like an alcoholic buying alcohol.what keeps being left out of this debate is their are millions of people that are in horrible pain And can actually have a decent quality of life because of narcotic pain killers. When the government does things like this it makes me question how free we really are and what's really going on. Those of you that don't take them and don't believe in them,Good for you! But that doesn't give you the right to have a say in those that do. And to answer the question- in mine and everybody else I knows experience they are too easy to get till your hooked then it's impossible and your basically told to go find something on the street...

Old 03-15-2016, 02:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Well I just experienced doctors actually not being in charge of deciding who to prescribe painkillers too, as I was told they couldn't prescribe tramadol to me because it was an emergency appointment and I need to get a regular appointment for that. Now that is a completely ridiculous rule, at least some of the rules you lot have make a bit of sense.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:09 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Well I just experienced doctors actually not being in charge of deciding who to prescribe painkillers too, as I was told they couldn't prescribe tramadol to me because it was an emergency appointment and I need to get a regular appointment for that. Now that is a completely ridiculous rule, at least some of the rules you lot have make a bit of sense.
That's not unusual. At most, a hospital could give you a couple days worth, but no hospital is going to call you in a prescription for a months supply or anything like that. They don't have your history, and many addicts do go to ERs for drugs (watch reruns of Nurse Jackie sometime) so they don't even give those couple days worth now.

Doctors went way too far in one direction, but now they have gone way too far in the other for the most part. But hospitals to my knowledge never prescribe the way a family doc would. In fact when you leave a hospital, you can't even take your remaining pills from the prescription you had while a patient (they are required by law to dispose of them).

Old 03-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's not unusual. At most, a hospital could give you a couple days worth, but no hospital is going to call you in a prescription for a months supply or anything like that. They don't have your history, and many addicts do go to ERs for drugs (watch reruns of Nurse Jackie sometime) so they don't even give those couple days worth now.

Doctors went way too far in one direction, but now they have gone way too far in the other for the most part. But hospitals to my knowledge never prescribe the way a family doc would. In fact when you leave a hospital, you can't even take your remaining pills from the prescription you had while a patient (they are required by law to dispose of them).
We have online medical records now so they have my history (nevermind that the 'emergency' room is just another room in the same health centre as the normal doctors and its the same doctors, just one takes a shift in the emergency area at a time. I was prescribed the codeine in the emergency area (and got it renewed), and got it renewed. But I checked my records today and the doctor has written in my notes that I can request the tramadol from the normal doctor area if needed and as its written there I should hopefully be able to do it by phone, will try tomorrow anyway as I bloody well need them right now! But they've always been a bit funny about tramadol here, when we had paper prescriptions the pharmacy would take the paper away from you so you couldn't forge a renewal, and now its only allowed as a e-prescription.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

They take pills the patient has paid for and dispose of them?

That sounds like theft to me.

Our healthcare system is really messed up.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
They take pills the patient has paid for and dispose of them?

That sounds like theft to me.

Our healthcare system is really messed up.
I'm not sure about this one. When I was in the regular hospital after my last surgeries, meds were drawn from phar.a only in amounts needed. When I transfered to rehab, there I had med cards , big blister packs, sent from the hospital pharmacy, that meds were dispensed from. When I was released, they sent ALL my leftover meds home with me. It was a lot of cards.

So, I think it must be how the meds are supplied and dispensed.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If ibuprofen is doing a fine job—and I don't doubt it is for you—trust me that you are not in serious pain.
Amen. I have a terminal illness..Ibuprofen? BWAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
I am so sick of this addiction crap. I am tired of the world being forced to walk on eggshells because of opiates addicts.
+1000

Old 03-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Turns out I must have misunderstood the doctor at the emergency room because I got the tramadol prescription from there today (after a phone appointment with a doctor from the health centre who told me I was "too young for strong medicines and young people need to just cope with pain"), must have been just that the e-prescription system was down that day.

That's strange if hospitals can't prescribe, what about when a patient is discharged after surgery but needs painkillers? Do they then have to go see their own doctor for a prescription?

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Turns out I must have misunderstood the doctor at the emergency room because I got the tramadol prescription from there today (after a phone appointment with a doctor from the health centre who told me I was "too young for strong medicines and young people need to just cope with pain"), must have been just that the e-prescription system was down that day.

That's strange if hospitals can't prescribe, what about when a patient is discharged after surgery but needs painkillers? Do they then have to go see their own doctor for a prescription?
The surgeon will usually prescribe what's needed, UNLESS , you have a pain management doctor, then, he/she must prescribe what's needed , on a written Rx, set to fill on the specific date of discharge. If your already on chronic pain treatment, only that doctor can prescribe you pain meds. This happened to me once, and the surgeon filled my nor.all monthly meds, and I had put BIM in contact with my pain doc. I called them to be sure they had spoken, they said they had, and the surgeon filled my normal meds.

The next month, when I went to refill, the pain center doc came unwound on me. What had happened was a huge no no, and she could have kicked me off. She didn't, because it really wasn't my fault. The hospital doc screwed up, and since I had put him in contact with her, I had done my part to follow the rules, but I still got an earful.

Pain med rules are as anal as it gets anymore. Even honest mistakes and things beyond your control will BBQ you. Its idiotic, mismanaged (or overly managed) with the feds between you and your medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates