Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post

WWIII will be MUCH worse than I and II combined.
Quite a bit shorter as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Your statement that liberals won't fight is nothing more than ultraconservative nonsense.

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but that's a redundancy.

To answer the OP's question, though, no - I don't think a world war is plausible under any current circumstances. The global economy is too closely woven together; too many parts of the world are too economically dependent on too many other parts of the world for large blocs of nations to go to war with one another. All-out global conventional war would cause the entire world economy to collapse.

Major military and economic powers will continue to use regional conflicts to fight proxy wars against one another, and some of them may even go nuclear as more Islamic nations develop nuclear weapons and their neighbors follow suit to defend themselves. But protracted large-scale military conflicts between major powers allied with blocs of smaller countries is a thing of the past; the last real chance of that happening ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Some people think that as the world continues to overpopulate, and critical resources such as oil, food, and even fresh water begin to run out, large nations may wage war against one another to protect their access to those resources, but I think that even those conflicts will be more likely to play out on a regional than a global scale - northern countries vs. southern countries, arid countries vs. irrigated countries, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serabal View Post
So because of China and Russia the peaceful american bombs should stay at home.

Can you tell me why are they bad guys? What countries did they invaded during last 20 years? What countries was bombed with their aircrafts?

May be you feel yourself safe. But we feel ourselves unsafe. Because the US puts a lot of military bases around our country.

And instead of peacefull life we had to took up our arms.

But don't you understand that when WWIII begins there would be no safe places. And this time you won't stay at your big island just watching how great countries fight.

As we sit here your nation (Russia) is bombing Syrians who oppose the dictator Assad. Russians are also still bombing Ukrainians who oppose the Russian intervention in Eastern Ukraine. Russians leveled the small republic of Chechnya in the 90s, invaded the small nation of Georgia in the 2000s. Need I go on?? You have no right to lecture an American about war and bombing other nations. The US pursues its national interest, so does Russia. Don't paint this out to be peace loving Russia condemning a warlike America. That just does not fly, you know and I know it, everyone knows it. Why is it that Eastern Europe fears Russia so much?? Is it because of the peaceful nature of Russia??
It is also true that Russia does shield really bad dictators like Assad and the Iranian Ayahtollas with their position on the security council. Why are they bad guys?? Really? these are terrible dictators who support terrorists, gas their own people and lock thousands up for questioning their power. I am sure though that Putin does not tell you that. The reason Russia does this is to obstruct the efforts of the the NATO powers. Russia resents NATO, seems to believe that being an obstruction to the efforts of NATO will restore Russias status as one of the worlds two superpowers.
The US does not build military bases to threaten Russia. You must realize the US has no interest in invading Russia, waging war on Russia or any hostility with Russia don't you? Americans do not hate Russians the way it appears Russians hate Americans. In fact Americans hoped for a cooperative relationship between the US and Russia after the cold war. The past 5 -10 years have crushed those hopes. Putin has done his best to stoke the old cold war fears. What a shame.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Some people think that as the world continues to overpopulate, and critical resources such as oil, food, and even fresh water begin to run out, large nations may wage war against one another to protect their access to those resources, but I think that even those conflicts will be more likely to play out on a regional than a global scale - northern countries vs. southern countries, arid countries vs. irrigated countries, etc.
I agree.

The notion reminds me a bit of the premise of Red Dawn (the original - I never saw the remake). That utterly preposterous John Milius fantasy (Red Army special forces fleeing in abject terror from high school students!) holds that part of the motivation for the Soviet invasion of the United States (itself a ludicrous impossibility) was a failed Soviet wheat harvest. So, the Kremlin needs to invade the United States and grab its breadbasket... never mind that just buying more wheat would be vastly cheaper in almost every way than invading North America (also, unlike invading the United States - it would actually be possible).

More likely in the face of increasingly-limited resources is that increased cooperation to protect limited those limited commodities results.

PS:
Wolverines!

Old 03-03-2016, 06:27 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
NO. There will be now WWIII. No one is going to win.
What will happen is a bunch of scattered mini wars and conflicts. Just as you see it now. Here and there.
Over production of money requires some niche to dump them into and wars are it. Followed by restoration and resources developments, etc. The usual.
Otherwise, supra national conglomerates will choke to death. There are no new markets left to explore and discover, so they create them with mini wars.
I agree, a WWIII, would destroy the entire world with the weapons and technology available, and I don't think we have anyone that crazy in power yet anyway.

There really aren't any "prime" areas that anyone wants to posses except the crazies in the Middle East and they can be "contained".

Old 03-03-2016, 11:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We should remove all of our forces from the Middle East and let the Arabs get on with their War on Everyone Else. We could sell arms to all sides. That war would create some great video for our news starved TV stations and plenty of advertising. All good for us and not so good for them.

BTW - No refugees accepted by the West from the War zone.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM

147 posts, read 100,322 times
There is a saying in Russia.
There is a european tradition. Once in a hundred years all eauropean countries gather together and go to capture Russia and then they get beating there.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:37 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I think there will be one, but it will not be on par with a nuclear calamity. Not saying some improvised use of nuclear weapons isn't in question. Just saying that the one's fighting this war might not have that kind of capability.

Now, who fights it? Like others, it starts in the middle east. Therefore, the "allies" and "axis" will look different than the previous 2 WW's.

Biggest impact for the world? What makes it a truly "world war". Energy. this war will compromise and strangle off energy for the world, thus getting us all involved. the loss of life will be less from combat, and more from "unintended" consequences.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As we sit here your nation (Russia) is bombing Syrians who oppose the dictator Assad.
Did you mean ISIS?
And I am eager to know whom did your nation is bombing in Siriya? And do you know that you have no right to be there? And our actions are totally legal

Quote:
Russians are also still bombing Ukrainians who oppose the Russian intervention in Eastern Ukraine.
Do you have any proofs? If we are bombing the Ukraine then why do the buy gas from us? Isn't that strange?

Quote:
Russians leveled the small republic of Chechnya in the 90s
Chechnya is an inner part of Russia. They are Russians when we speak English. Because you have only one word for our country and nationality.
And we fighted with terrorists there. And they were equipped with NATO staff.

Quote:
, invaded the small nation of Georgia in the 2000s.
That was in 2008. And before that your country send there your military advisers who taught georgians to fight.
But the main thing that georgians can't fight.
And also you put there your puppet Saakashvili who likes to eat his own tie.

Then your country ordered him to bomb a small nation of South Osetia. But there were Russian peacemakers. And we had to protect our citizens there.

Quote:
Need I go on??
If you have any facts you can go on.

Quote:
You have no right to lecture an American about war and bombing other nations. The US pursues its national interest, so does Russia. Don't paint this out to be peace loving Russia condemning a warlike America.
And why the US have their national interests near Russian borders? What did you lost there?

Quote:
Why is it that Eastern Europe fears Russia so much?? Is it because of the peaceful nature of Russia??
Peoples of Eastern Europe don't fear us. But their governments which are US puppets do.
I live in a small Kaliningrad region which is divided of the main Russia with several countries. We go to Poland and Lithuania and everyrhing is ok.

So lets count.
During last 20 years the USA invaded
1999 Yugoslavia
2001 Afghanistan
2003 Iraq
2004 Haiti
2004-2010 Somalia
2011 Libiya
2014 Siriya and Iraq
2015 Yemen

During last 20 years Russia invaded
2008 Georgia

You can just look at those lists and make a conclusion

Quote:
It is also true that Russia does shield really bad dictators like Assad and the Iranian Ayahtollas with their position on the security council.
Why do you think that you have a right to decide which "guy" is bad and wich "guy" is good.
You support Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt and so on.

Quote:
Why are they bad guys?? Really? these are terrible dictators who support terrorists, gas their own people and lock thousands up for questioning their power
Do you have any proofs? You crushed Iraq because of false accusations.

Have you already closed that Guantanamo prison of yours? And what about american secret prisons in Europe?

Quote:
I am sure though that Putin does not tell you that.
Putin is a president. He is not a storyteller.

Quote:
The reason Russia does this is to obstruct the efforts of the the NATO powers. Russia resents NATO, seems to believe that being an obstruction to the efforts of NATO will restore Russias status as one of the worlds two superpowers.
We don't like foreign military forses which are near our borders. I think you would be upset if Russia would settle military bases in Canada and Mexico.

Quote:
The US does not build military bases to threaten Russia.
You have settled your military bases in Poland and Lithuania. Can you tell me what was the purpose?

Quote:
You must realize the US has no interest in invading Russia, waging war on Russia or any hostility with Russia don't you?
It is just a words. When you say such words and put military bases around us we have a right not to believe in it.

Quote:
Americans do not hate Russians the way it appears Russians hate Americans.
We don't hate you. Why do you think so?

Quote:
In fact Americans hoped for a cooperative relationship between the US and Russia after the cold war. The past 5 -10 years have crushed those hopes. Putin has done his best to stoke the old cold war fears. What a shame.
A lot of silly Russians hoped for it either. But those hopes didn't lasted for a long time.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM

To say the truth we are afraid of WWIII in Russia. Because we know what does it mean to have a war on your territory.
And we don't want it. We want to live in peace. We had so many wars during last century...we want to have peace

Old 03-04-2016, 12:38 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serabal View Post
To say the truth we are afraid of WWIII in Russia. Because we know what does it mean to have a war on your territory.
And we don't want it. We want to live in peace. We had so many wars during last century...we want to have peace

I don't know any American that wants WW3, nor do we want war with Russia. We all know that kind of war will destroy both nations, and half of Europe. Most Americans would like to see some kind of warmer relationship with Russia, but until Russia stops taking such a hard line toward us that will not be possible. I do think you have a chip on your shoulder about the United States. Why do we have a military relationship with Poland?? They want it, and they are members of NATO that is why. Why did they join NATO?? we did not make them do that. They are afraid of you. Any military presence we have in Eastern Europe is there as a deterrence. We are there with our NATO allies to protect NATO nations. The Russian involvement in Ukraine has made those Eastern European allies very nervous. In no way is there some kind of plot to invade Russia. Americans do know history, we have no desire to trace the steps of Hitler or Napolean.

I stand by the statement I made earlier regarding the wars both our nations have been involved in. I make no excuse for ours, they were conducted for a number of reasons. Those reasons range from protecting innocent people who asked for our help to an angry response to the 9-11 attacks. All of them in some way were conducted to serve our national interest and support our foreign policy. As a sovereign power we have the right to conduct our foreign policy as we see fit. I find your claim that your nations involvement in Syria is legal while ours is not laughable. Both Russia and the US are there at the request of allies on the ground in Syria. We both are fighting ISIS, your nation is supporting Assad and fighting the rebels. Our nation is not fighting Assad but is supporting the rebels. Our goals have both similarities and differences. Actually it is quite sad that we cannot agree with each other regarding Syria. Both the US and Russia should be concentrating on ISIS, but Russia has put more effort into attacking the Syrian rebels and less effort on ISIS. The future of Assad can be negotiated, but ISIS is evil and really needs to go. I am sure you remember they butchered 200 Russian people on that plane in the Sinai peninsula a few months ago. Their barbarity knows no bounds.

It is a shame we cannot get along with each other. When the US and Russia did work together we destroyed the Axis powers. If we can ever get past all this then maybe the US and Russia could work together to stabilize parts of the world that currently are a mess (like Syria). Until then our fighting and bickering will just make those problems worse. (like Syria)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates