Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:45 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And it's an unhealthy obsession at that. Most of what I see in these threads involves complaining and alot of anger. If not anger, some passive-aggressive mentality involved. I feel like alot of what gets said on the threads is stuff some people won't say in public.
Of course, nothing new. They wave to their black neighbors. Go to lunch with their black coworkers. And sit next to black parishioners in church. All the while harboring these hateful feelings. Angry keyboard cowards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Funny, I was thinking of posts like yours last evening.

It occurred to me how many White people (particularly conservatives, but not limited to conservatives) who are very into claiming some sort of linear heritage with the thinking of the Founding Fathers, or the principles of the Revolutionary War against a tyrant 3,000 miles away, or the wisdom of Lincoln, or the glory of their grandfathers fighting in WWII, or the adjustment of their immigrant relatives to becoming real Americans, or some other historical phenomenon. But then when it comes to slavery and racism suddenly throw up their hands basically saying, "It wasn't me; I wasn't even around".
I don't claim anything from my ancestors, but cool.

You still missed my point. If we learned anything from history, it is that the racial discrimination in the past was wrong. Why do you want to repeat it?

Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Most politicians: white male
Most police officers: white male
Most judges: white male
Most CEOs and top executives: white male
Most university leaders: white male
Most church leaders: white male
Most leaders in banks and financial institutions: white male
Most lead actors and top positions in Hollywood: white male

You personally may not feel particularly privileged but white males as a group are.
While I agree there are serious racial disparities in America stemming in part from racist discrimination, the fact that 77% of Americans are White, and half of those are male, none of that list comes as a huge surprise.

Do you think that Blacks at about 13% of the population comprising 'most' if any category you lust would not be a statistical anomoly wirthy of raised eyebrows?

If anything it is women, comprising half the total population, who are underrepresented.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
No, not tired, 1. because I don't consume too much media, and 2. because some guy had the nerve to lock his car doors as I was walking by, after I'd gone out of my way to make sure I wasn't even walking that close to his car. In my own neighborhood, which is why it got under my skin. Naturally, I didn't do anything. Well, I might have adjusted my jacket with a bit of a "hmph" connotation.

It's black people too though - once I was at a bus stop, and two black women were going on about how black men were the worst, never date one again, and so on (well, mostly just the one, the other was probably just going along with the rant). I couldn't be upset because of the sheer comedy of it - I was sitting right there; I knew, they knew, but it just kept going on, and I just sat there as if I had headphones on, not saying one word.

Anecdotes aside, all things considered, I think if the average person has market value 1.0, the same black person would have market value 0.9. It might not sound too bad, but think of it this way: If you think Brand A is a 10 and Brand B is a 9, you're probably not going to buy Brand A 10 times and Brand B 9 times... you're probably going with Brand A almost every time, with maybe a few exceptions.

Naturally things change when you get to know someone, but as long as there's a discrepancy in the default assumptions, I think there's valid reason for people to complain (I myself don't really complain - I usually just lay low, stay off of people's radar, and do my own thing... as you might have guessed by now).

Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Anyone who is tired of hearing about racism probably doesn't understand how pervasive it is in the fabric of our society.

on a side note:

I heard about this place recently and wondered why I've never heard of it before. History books don't seem to cover it.

Greenwood in Tulsa OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa

Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
While I agree there are serious racial disparities in America stemming in part from racist discrimination, the fact that 77% of Americans are White, and half of those are male, none of that list comes as a huge surprise.

Do you think that Blacks at about 13% of the population comprising 'most' if any category you lust would not be a statistical anomoly wirthy of raised eyebrows?

If anything it is women, comprising half the total population, who are underrepresented.
I know it's not a big surprise. I responded to the OP's lament about supposed racism against white people by pointing this out. He is in the racial majority in this country. There are no positions of power denied to him because of his race, because he already resembles the default person in those roles. Any racism he encounters is on an individual basis, not systemic.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:07 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All people of color, women, and the handicapped live with "these issues" ever single day and in all parts of their life. They can't stop talking about it because they live with it everyday. A Black person getting onto an elevator, a woman assertively making a point in a meeting, a wheelchair bound person trying to access public transportation.
What century do you live in? I have sympathy for a wheelchair-bound person trying to do anything, but... a black person getting on an elevator? Really? I get on an elevator with black people a dozen times a day and no one has ever had any difficulty with it. As far as a woman assertively making a point in a meeting, my boss is a woman, her boss is a woman, and her boss is the board of directors which almost half women.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:08 PM

208 posts, read 170,443 times
Yes. I have to say, being a woman of color coming from Europe, the "racial" talk is non stop in the US! Been here 16 going on 17 years, and it is getting really old! I think that if american leaders/general populace played down our differences, and played up how alike we actually are (we ALL want the best for our families and for the country), there would be much less ignorance and hatred going around!! To me, all of this fussing about "oh, you're black! oh, those mexicans! oh, white people etc." is so ridiculous!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I'll tell you what I'm tired of, the incessant white male pity party!

As for affirmative action... There has never been a reverse discrimination case where a top white male candidates has been denied a position in school or employment. The situation invariably involves a mediocre white candidates who believes they are entitled despite their basic mediocrity.
There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All people of color, women, and the handicapped live with "these issues" ever single day and in all parts of their life. They can't stop talking about it because they live with it everyday. A Black person getting onto an elevator, a woman assertively making a point in a meeting, a wheelchair bound person trying to access public transportation.
A white person reading the Internet . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates