Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,828 times

Advertisements

I think this mother has a great idea that is much overdue. Why shouldn't people be warned that there is somebody in the neighborhood who is a possible threat to their children? I hope this registry spreads nationwide.

He 'couldn't fight back': Mom of beaten baby wants abuser registry | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
I'm completely for that. Child abusers are just as dangerous and disturbed as sex offenders are.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
You may be aware that each state has a sex offender registry, but did you know each state also maintains a child abuse and neglect registry? Child abuse and neglect records are kept by state social services or child protection agencies to help investigate and prevent child abuse. Records and investigation results information is stored in databases and can vary by state.
Often referred to as central registries, these databases are used in addition to background checks to screen adults for various volunteer or employment positions that involve children. Some states require a registry check for applicants applying to be a child or youth caregiver. Employers and nonprofit organizations can access the records by following each state's separate process to obtain access and check those who are applying to work with children.

However, ( like with sex offenders list) - it only takes one person and a respective investigation resulting in "some belief" abuse occurred to be immediately placed on the registry. There is no requirement of finding guilt, only evidence. While some cases go to court and an individual is found guilty, there many cases where innocence prevails. Even if an individual is found innocent, their name remains on the list, and a separate hearing and legal process must be followed to get a name removed. Further, instances of false positives affecting innocent individuals sharing the same name have occurred.
https://www.intellicorp.net/marketin...Registries.pdf

Last edited by elnina; 03-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Edited...

Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,828 times
Of course I would be for it only if the evidence of child abuse by a person was indisputable.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:47 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,279,176 times
I would be very careful to label someone. We want functioning societies, will never have perfect societies. So labeling someone has an effect that anchors a person to a mistake.

Freedom of information is far more important than labeling someone. A registry is a label, and not all offenses are black and white.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I think this mother has a great idea that is much overdue. Why shouldn't people be warned that there is somebody in the neighborhood who is a possible threat to their children? I hope this registry spreads nationwide.

Yeah but overwhelmingly child abuse occurs within the family, as does spousal abuse. And both unions are generally "blessed" by the church and the state.

Of course sex offenders are more often than not, familiy members as well. I think the accuracy of such a registry would be about 2%.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:11 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
I don't agree with sex offender registries, so I certainly don't agree with child abuse registries. Why don't we have murderer registries or assault registries? The data regarding recidivism of sex offenders is often very misunderstood and believed to be higher than it is.

I believe our main goal in judicial punishment should be rehabilitation. These sorts of registries are obstacles to that.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:43 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
There should be an Abortion Registry that can be checked to see if someone chose to end the life of a human being.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:13 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post

Why not parking ticket registries? Or jaywalking registries? Tax evasion registries?

I know that's a bit on the extreme side, but the bigger question I would pose here is why do certain laws (which are basically a set of rules, voted by the people, enacted by our governments, and enforced by our governments) hold more "weight" than others?

It always seems that the ones that ruin other people's lives are the ones that hold the most weight, but I ask you this: Is there truly a difference between a domestic dispute and someone loitering? If your answer is yes, then we should look at why. My answer is that they both damage lives, are criminal acts, and if you are for punishing one category more harshly than the other, then why not do so with jail time, fines, etc.

I feel that the sex registry (and similar registries, look who got arrested websites, public shaming, etc) are over the top. I'm sure they are meant as a deterrent, but I feel that they can have negative effects as well.

Example: If you and your wife don't get along, she's beating you at least twice a week with a weapon (candle holder for example) and you push her off of you to defend yourself. She calls the cops, you go to jail, and it's the only time in your life that you make such a mistake. Should you then have a PUBLIC record on file for anyone to see for 10 years or the rest of your life?

If you do the crime, do the time. But Jeezus, at some point we gotta let people try to reform themselves.

If I'm a convicted sex offender, what do I have to look forward to in my life?
I will never get a job. My neighbors will always hate and shun me.
I can't travel near schools, churches, etc.

So how is this a deterrent? If I'm on that list, I've nothing to live for.

I am not sympathizing with sexual criminals, only stating that I'm more for no early release programs than I am for ruining a person's life forever. Some people can and do change.

Some people on the list made honest mistakes (19 year old boy dates a 16 year old girl and gets in trouble for it).

I think that there are more than enough laws, support groups, advocates, and vigilante lawyers/judges out there to help battered persons and victims of abuse. Just adding another layer to the pile simply adds more confusion and red tape.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
sex offender registries are overbroad and mostly useless, as most children are abused by someone close to them and known to them or their families. Over 90% actually.
they are also too easy to get on. There's over 200 offenses that could get a person registered from misdemeanors up to heinous crimes. And false accusations are on the rise.

As for child abuse registries. I wouldn't trust them either, CPS in some places, is majorly corrupt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates