Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times

Advertisements

Here we go again with the PC police running wild this time at Bowdoin college.

Sombreros at Bowdoin

The shocking bunch of racists and cultural appropriation robbing sorority girls held a "tequila party" and since tequila comes from Mexico naturally there were some sombreros there which were actually worn by the non latino girls. I know how dare they do that! Well some latino students were very upset by this and complained and now the girls are facing disciplinary actions.

The last time I went to a mexican restaurant I remember seeing sombreros and other "mexican" decore hanging on the walls but since no one took those down and wore them I guess that is OK?

ST Patricks day is right around the corner and I'm sure the local Walmart will be selling all sorts of junk including T shirts that poke fun at Irish people having drinking problems. One that is funny shows a bunch of people in weird positions passed out over beer kegs etc.. and the shirt says "Irish Yoga". My wife who is from Ireland doesn't appreciate it.

I think the Irish shirts are much more offensive then several girls wearing hats at a party.

Lets not forget that Cinco De Mayo is also coming up so who will be offended by that?
Lets not even talk about the super offensive religious day called Easter!

When will this silly PC nonsense end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:13 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
We have people who really try to not offend anyone, yet debates and discussion are so uncivil. The root of the problem seems to be a general lack of manners.

But, no, I don't think the PC silliness will end soon.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:46 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Kind of makes me want to go ahead and buy the biggest dang mariachi sombrero I can find, Color it green and decorate it with clovers and lepricons and alternate between chugs of beer and tequila all night long.

Me not being Mexican or Irish oughta really **** some people off. Oh well!

Jeeesh people! Lighten up!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
The stuff happening on college and university campuses is a different thing from how it is in society at large. Those insulated environments seem to foster mass insanity for some reason.

I read not too long ago an article by someone who thought that the Millennial generation was so coddled growing up, that this explains why they're behaving like such fragile snowflakes who need trigger warnings on every book and safe spaces in shared common areas, and so on. This makes sense to me. Such oversensitivity is a sign of the times, but just for a certain demographic.

When the PC stuff first became a major thing back in the 90s, it was really a backlash against the conservatism of the 80s, and it was part of the so-called "culture wars" of the era. Then it faded for awhile, now it's returned, in this new ultra-PC behaviour. I don't think it'll last, though. Society has fragmented into so many diverse special interest groups... this and "intersectional" arguments make all those PC lines in the sand difficult to keep firmly in place.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:18 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
“It’s not like the people who hosted the party were celebrating Mexican heritage,†she said.
That's the problem with this story, IMO. These sorority sisters decided to hold a party for themselves and their non-Mexican friends that parodied and stereotyped Mexican culture only because the alcohol being served was tequila. There was no celebration of Mexican culture, just drinking. The sorority is linked to Bowdoin, and its actions reflect on the school, so it's very different than if 10 friends got together and had a tequila party where some wore sombreros.

As someone who is partly of Italian ancestry, I'm offended by the near universal portrayal of identifiable Italian-Americans in movies and on TV as Sicilian Mafasios. That's not even what 1% of Italian Americans are or have been, but that's what we're always shown as in the media. So, yeah, I can see where some/many Latinos would be offended that a bunch of well-off non-Latinos in a school sponsored sorority decided to make a mockery of their culture.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:55 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Oh, pulled...this is stupid beyond imagination! If you want to have a freaking party...have one! Tequila or rum...or vodka...jeez...I'm not Russian, but I love my vodka! Am I "politically incorrect"? No...I'm just catching a buzz.

Lighten up, everyone!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I bought my sombrero down in the Yucatan from a Mexican, he was glad to take my money.

Remember to wear a skeleton t-shirt on Dia de los muertos.

My wife is convinced that I will be murdered if I wear an orange shirt on St Pats day.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:17 PM

50,856 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The stuff happening on college and university campuses is a different thing from how it is in society at large. Those insulated environments seem to foster mass insanity for some reason.

I read not too long ago an article by someone who thought that the Millennial generation was so coddled growing up, that this explains why they're behaving like such fragile snowflakes who need trigger warnings on every book and safe spaces in shared common areas, and so on. This makes sense to me. Such oversensitivity is a sign of the times, but just for a certain demographic.

When the PC stuff first became a major thing back in the 90s, it was really a backlash against the conservatism of the 80s, and it was part of the so-called "culture wars" of the era. Then it faded for awhile, now it's returned, in this new ultra-PC behaviour. I don't think it'll last, though. Society has fragmented into so many diverse special interest groups... this and "intersectional" arguments make all those PC lines in the sand difficult to keep firmly in place.
Moderator cut: Off Topic

As far as the college things go, they'll get over most of that once they get in the post-college world.

Last edited by Jeo123; 03-07-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 11:19 PM

50,856 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's the problem with this story, IMO. These sorority sisters decided to hold a party for themselves and their non-Mexican friends that parodied and stereotyped Mexican culture only because the alcohol being served was tequila. There was no celebration of Mexican culture, just drinking. The sorority is linked to Bowdoin, and its actions reflect on the school, so it's very different than if 10 friends got together and had a tequila party where some wore sombreros.

As someone who is partly of Italian ancestry, I'm offended by the near universal portrayal of identifiable Italian-Americans in movies and on TV as Sicilian Mafasios. That's not even what 1% of Italian Americans are or have been, but that's what we're always shown as in the media. So, yeah, I can see where some/many Latinos would be offended that a bunch of well-off non-Latinos in a school sponsored sorority decided to make a mockery of their culture.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow would roll over in his grave.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Here we go again with the PC police running wild this time at Bowdoin college.

Sombreros at Bowdoin

The shocking bunch of racists and cultural appropriation robbing sorority girls held a "tequila party" and since tequila comes from Mexico naturally there were some sombreros there which were actually worn by the non latino girls. I know how dare they do that! Well some latino students were very upset by this and complained and now the girls are facing disciplinary actions.

The last time I went to a mexican restaurant I remember seeing sombreros and other "mexican" decore hanging on the walls but since no one took those down and wore them I guess that is OK?

ST Patricks day is right around the corner and I'm sure the local Walmart will be selling all sorts of junk including T shirts that poke fun at Irish people having drinking problems. One that is funny shows a bunch of people in weird positions passed out over beer kegs etc.. and the shirt says "Irish Yoga". My wife who is from Ireland doesn't appreciate it.

I think the Irish shirts are much more offensive then several girls wearing hats at a party.

Lets not forget that Cinco De Mayo is also coming up so who will be offended by that?
Lets not even talk about the super offensive religious day called Easter!

When will this silly PC nonsense end?
Try telling someone you find being called a guy offensive. I just let it go although the word means a person of grotesque appearance. I think it is very rude to call someone grotesque. Guy and Bozo can replace each other. Would you call someone you have never met before Bozo? Waitresses do it all the time. That is what some are told to call clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates