Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,971,365 times

Advertisements

I have a cell phone, but have never text even once.
Why do people text as opposed to actually talking on their cell?
Talking is so much faster.
Can some of you tell me why you text instead of talking?

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 02:47 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,091 times
I prefer texts over calling in many situations. One big reason is that I have a bad memory and don't always remember every detail in a conversation. For instance someone might call me to reschedule an appointment. If I can't update my calendar as we are talking, I will ask them to text me the new day/time so I won't forget. I really like having info, especially addresses, dates, names, and numbers in writing to refer back to. Also, unless I have a really clear connection, I might mishear and mistake words with similar sounds like "f" vs "s".

Secondly, while I agree that calling is faster than texting for the caller, it's not always faster for the person on the other end. If I miss your call, I will have to listen to my voicemail messages, which I am really lazy about doing. I don't know if I am alone in this but I find the whole voicemail system (entering my password, listening to the automated voice) tiresome and a chore. I might not check my messages until the end of the day. Im really bad about that.

Thirdly, phone calls are disruptive and intrusive moreso than a text.

Additionally, I can communicate with friends and family internationally by text without the expense of an international calling plan.

Lastly, if I should find myself lost in the jungle, or in need of emergency help, and there's poor cell reception, or my phone battery is nearly dead, I take comfort knowing that a text is more likely to send successfully than a call.

So there you have it. Those are my reasons.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,925,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
For work-related texts, I'll text out of consideration for the person's preferred form of communication (this goes for replying to and initiating texts). Personally, I prefer texts because I hate talking on the phone. I have a speech impediment and texting is so much easier. It does take more time for me at least because of the type of phone I have, though I think you may encounter some different opinions on this from those who have those supposedly smarter phones where texting is rather quick. However, with phone calls there is the problem of ending the conversation. I've had conversations drag on and on because there wasn't an easy way out without just saying, "look, I've got to go" (which I've done a few times).

Thanks butterfly for reminding me of probably the biggest reason why I hate phone calls: A lot of times, I can't make out what the other person is saying and it is *really irritating*!!! Sometimes it's a bad phone connection and sometimes it's the way the person talks (some of it too is probably my not so perfect hearing). Especially at work, I really wish the patients would be able to text their questions to me; things would be a lot less aggravating that way (I don't know how many times people would spell their names to me and I'd be like "did they say a C or a V??? an F or an S???" Most people, unless they're good at annunciating--most of the people I talk to at work aren't--- need to incorporate the "C as in ...." "F as in ...." I know it sounds lame, but that's usually the only way I can understand what the other person is saying).

Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,557 times
It is quiet and can be done when babies/spouses are sleeping etc. I don't mean cheating I mean regular stuff with friends, relatives, parents, siblings etc. + often when we call nobody know how to stop talking so it takes 2-3 hours to finish

Old 03-28-2016, 05:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Hahaha...what year is this - 2000?

It is MUCH faster for short messages where you don't need or want a conversation. And nobody's phone has to ring and nobody has to be disturbed with a conversation. Also good if you don't want any chance of leaving a voicemail...and don't EVER leave ME a voicemail because I won't get it.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
I live in Central time zone and one of my sons is one the West coast. I can send him a text anytime and when it is convenient for him to read and answer he will. Not as simple when calling and trying to mesh 'work' time, 'awake' time and 'free' time

Old 03-28-2016, 06:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Just off the top of my head:

*If my wife wants me to pick up four things from the store, it's easier to have a list in the form of a text than to try and remember all those things.

*If the recipient is unavailable to answer, it's more accessible than a voicemail - all the recipient has to do is glance at the phone and the brief message is instant, as opposed to dialing VM then waiting for the ring, then listening to the message.

*It's discreet in places where people would otherwise be disturbed by a phone conversation - the library, etc.

*My younger son is on spring break down in Florida. Yesterday, he went fishing out in the Gulf and texted me a video of him catching a shark. Kinda hard to attach a file to a phone call.

*You only think talking is faster. A lot of exchanges are more efficiently conducted by texting than talking by text.

For me, a text is like a post-it note, whereas a phone call is reserved for something more important. It's like a crescent wrench. Sure, you can get along without it, but if it's in your toolbox there are times when it'll do the job better than anything else in there.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The real question is, why would anyone communicate by written message as opposed to verbally? Why send an email/letter/text message when you can just call? There are all kinds of reasons for that, the number one being a record of the conversation, the number two being able to copy the same information to multiple people at one time.

And of all the methods of written communication available today, the current fastest is text messaging via smart phone (I never did get into texting via dumb phone and the number pad).

That said, talking is not "so much faster" once all factors are considered. Yes, the straight transfer of information is faster via talking, so a long conversation is better via voice. But that's not all that has to happen. You have to dial the number, wait for it to ring, if the person you're calling is available you have to exchange pleasantries, transfer the info, then chat a few minutes before exchanging pleasantries again and hanging up. If the person isn't available right that second then you have to factor in either leaving a voicemail (I know people who can wait days before checking voicemail) or else calling again later.

As opposed to sending a short text and you're done. The other person can read it whenever they want and reply when they can. If they don't reply in a reasonable amount of time (for me this can be hours because I don't hover over my phone, I don't text and drive, and I often have my phone off during meetings; other people get irate if you don't text back within minutes).

Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
One son works long, long hours and spends his little free time with his gf. It's MUCH less intrusive for me to send him a text, and then he can reply when he has time. I'm not interrupting his work or his private life.

Same with everyone really....I'm not interrupting whatever it is they are doing. They can read and reply whenever they get a minute. They can view the text on their screen, so they do not have to go through the trouble of dialing their voicemail, listening, replying, etc. A quick view when they have time, and a response, again when they have time.

Last night, I planned a social outing for next weekend with a friend. We each threw out several ideas and locations, so we each had time to Google the other's suggestions, offer input, find the locations, etc. Once we settled on a spot, we both have the address, date, and time - all information is in the text, so there's no second guessing or whatever. It's all written down.

Oh, and yesterday, we took an Easter picture and texted it to others who could not join us.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,540 times
No phone tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates