Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times

Advertisements

In case you didn't notice, Bob, the answer to your question is, they really don't want you to bother them with your talking. Communicate with them by the means they dictate or they can't be bothered with you. Their need for speed is far more important than your dedication to your old-fashioned habits.

On second thought, don't bother learning to text. They're on to emojis now. Written words are so last decade. Shock them all. Get a Twitter account and just put pictures on it. Let them figure out what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,830,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Raise your hand if you do most of your C-D posting on a smart phone.
My phone is my internet.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,397,772 times
I prefer text. I find it quicker, no nonsense way of communicating.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 AM

792 posts, read 497,786 times
HELLO ******* YOU HAVE *ONE* NEW VOICE MAIL
TO LISTEN TO YOUR MESSAGE PRESS *ONE*
{press 1}
MESSAGE *ONE*
FROM PHONE NUMBER 8*6*4*1*2*3*4*5*6*7
RECEIVED *MONDAY* MARCH TWENTY EIGHT AT SEVEN OH FOUR AM

"Hi it's mom call me when you can"

Old 03-30-2016, 08:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Raise your hand if you do most of your C-D posting on a smart phone.

Yikes no. These old eyes and tecnotard fingers need a mouse and a big screen.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,933,812 times
I don't feel the need to send a text message to someone every time I take a deep breath. But, sadly, there are those that do...

Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,611,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
In case you didn't notice, Bob, the answer to your question is, they really don't want you to bother them with your talking. Communicate with them by the means they dictate or they can't be bothered with you. Their need for speed is far more important than your dedication to your old-fashioned habits.
It's not bout speed, it's about intrusiveness. When you call somebody's mobile, it's not like calling a land line. When land line rings you're at home, probably without visitors, more likely than not available and open for a conversation. However, when a mobile rings you could easily be in the middle of another conversation, in a place where you don't want to have a conversation or in the middle of a transaction. The odds of it not being a convenient time to chat are quite high. By texting instead you allow your contact to be polite to those around them by not talking, by finishing the transaction before they deal with you, or by just having a conversation uninterrupted.

Trust me, if you answer the phone in a bank queue and proceed to chat, everyone around you will hate you.

Quote:

On second thought, don't bother learning to text. They're on to emojis now. Written words are so last decade. Shock them all. Get a Twitter account and just put pictures on it. Let them figure out what you mean.
As in, instagram?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
There were times I felt like doing it, yes.

Sadly, alcohol was the most important thing in his life and it claimed his life.

Ha, you are funny. Was it a waste of time when my son texted me that he had safely arrived back at school yesterday? I can't always take phone calls at work, but I do get texts, so I knew immediately when my phone vibrated that he'd made it. A simple one word text - "here".

Was it a waste of time when I texted plans with my friend for next weekend, and we now both have a written record of place, date, time, address, etc?

Was it a waste of time when I texted a picture from Easter to my son who could not join us this year?

Luckily, that woman can text her friend to come save her from a date with you.

So you can take time to read a text but not answer your phone? I'm sure your boss would be happy to know that. Good for said woman I don't want someone in my life who can't put down their phone to make time for me. Sorry that you & your friends can't take the time to call perhaps you all need change your lifestyles.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Phone calls are WAY more intrusive. I don't want to sound happy when I'm busy, I don't want to stop in the middle of a task I'm doing to answer your call that is convienent for you. I want to get the text, read it in 2.4 seconds, and respond when I want to.... I hate/loathe/despise phone calls.

Sooo your too busy to take a phone call BUT you can find time to text said person?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have a cell phone, but have never text even once.
Why do people text as opposed to actually talking on their cell?
Talking is so much faster.
Can some of you tell me why you text instead of talking?

Bob.
Because texting on paper is inefficient...

People text because you can do it anywhere. You can be in a meeting or any place where you need to be quiet and don't need to leave the room or distract others to have a conversation with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates