Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Countries are in peoples dna,there are specific markers that people have from their country of origin,race is sacred.
Most african americans are mixed race in just about any dna test and should call themselves mixed race.
I don't think so. There are no German or Spanish or Nigerian or US genes that would allow someone to tell where someone else came from, just based on their genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 05:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Any autosomal/admixture dna test will tell you if you have markers in common with Spanish,german,nigerian people etc.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
I used to go out with a white girl from South Africa. She used joke that she is more African-American than 99% of black people in the USA, and she was right.

A mutual acquaintance of ours was originally from Ethiopia, and coming into the US. He was telling us about the incidence at a party, and it had everyone in stitches. (We are all Canadians, BTW).

Guess when he went over the border, he had to fill out a card that included a choice of races, one of them being 'African-American'. Now, he was not familiar with the PC term, so he was puzzled, and finally asked the border guard what this was. The reply was that he was to put down AA. He resisted, saying A) he wasn't African but Ethiopian, and B) he wasn't American. Long story short, he finally ticked the AA box to get through.

What had us in stitches was that he said that was the first time he had to argue with anyone about his blackness. We all thought what PC fools so many have allowed themselves to get roped into, because some special snowflake would get 'offended'.

Crazy.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I refer to Cracker Barrel as Caucasian Barrel now just to be PC.
No, you have to call it Euro-American Barrel!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You could be Japanese American and not speak Japanese or Irish American and never been to Ireland.
African American is simply a label of ethnic origin.

I personally prefer black but I use African American when I speak about the collective. However, one of my biggest pet peeves is that some people have begun to call ALL black people African American even if the people are Afro-Canadian, Afro Latino, etc.
...such as our president. He is African, he is American, but he is not in the common understanding of the term "African American" because he is not a descendant of any West African slave brought to the United States before 1865.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I used to go out with a white girl from South Africa. She used joke that she is more African-American than 99% of black people in the USA, and she was right.
Sure, in terms of nationality. But whites in South Africa are really British (except, of course, that all of us originally came from Africa - - so I guess we're all African-American now).

Old 04-09-2016, 01:05 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Sure, in terms of nationality. But whites in South Africa are really British (except, of course, that all of us originally came from Africa - - so I guess we're all African-American now).
Except, of course, those whites who may be Boers, of Dutch origin. Or Jews, which came from Europe/Middle East.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:28 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Some column I read a while back showed a picture of actors Charlize Theron and Chiwetel Ejiofor and asked which one was African-American. Of course the only real answer was Theron, who is of course a white woman born in South Africa who now has dual citizenship. The black man was born in Great Britain.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:01 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Jesse Jackson first used that term in some kind of media interview back in the 80's, and it immediately went viral among human rights organizations worldwide, though it took awhile to catch on back home. It was viewed as more respectful. It was an effective way of getting white people to show respect in their speech. If a new generation decides something else is better, they can set a new standard. It's not written in stone.
If people want respect, they should earn it by the way they act, not by insisting on silly, self imposed labels.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:41 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Some column I read a while back showed a picture of actors Charlize Theron and Chiwetel Ejiofor and asked which one was African-American. Of course the only real answer was Theron, who is of course a white woman born in South Africa who now has dual citizenship. The black man was born in Great Britain.
Wouldn't that also make Levar Burton (Reading Rainbow) and Ruben Studdard more German-American than white people in the US who call themselves German-American but have never been to Germany?
Come to think about it Kobe Bryant speaks more fluent Italian and has spent more time there than many white people who call themselves Italian-American.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-09-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates