Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times

Advertisements

Yes. Although, bachelor's degree level biology is nowhere as difficult as physics, chemistry, engineering, computer sciences, or post-secondary level math.

Generally, there's a fair bit of grey matter involved in applying that level of analysis, logic, etc.... and a dose of creativity. I don't think we're even close to understanding how the minds of skilled scientists even work.

"Social sciences" get more difficult at the graduate level IMO when quantified research takes a larger role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
I thought the topic of this thread was about math/science being as easy/hard to learn as other subjects, not about how useful it is going to be in life.

You feel that abstract ponderings are highly ordered and of no use in the real world. But they actually are! For example, your response itself is a logical fallacy - one of the techniques used to falsely win an arugment, and a part of the teachings of logic and philosophy. Specifically, your response was a straw man argument.

That is:

- Person A has position X.
- Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
- Person B attacks position Y.
- Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

I never spoke about physics or math being more or less relevant than other subjects in the real world. I was talking about it being harder or easier, and this is what OP also created this thread for. But by changing the discussion subtly to be something else, you basically changed the goalpost.

Real world is messy and complex. That is why you need complex abstract theories to properly explain it. If you want to understand how the Earth moves around the sun and what the orbit looks like, and why there are minor variations, you need to understand a whole bunch of complex theories and principles - of math, and of physics. Otherwise, you are left with overly simplistic analogies that we held hundreds of years ago of spinning tops and of a ball tied to a string and being whirled around.

And hundreds of years ago, everyone used to believe that it is physically impossible for metal objects to fly in the air, and that if you traveled faster than 40 miles an hour, all the blood will rush out of your body.

Since you just made up a claim I didnt make, a srawman is on you.You feel that abstract ponderings are highly ordered and of no use in the real world. I didnt claim the last part, you've made it up. Btw, I believe all the achievements you claim were brought to life by the people fairly removed from abstract ponderings. Deep thinkers joined later. If deep thinking leads the way we get "metaphysics", a convoluted mental equilibristics of no value. I dont believe you understand what I've said, so I'll repeat: both deep thinkers and lesser thinkers approximate the world using a few basic semi-intuitive concepts, deep thinkers cannot explain those concepts for the lack of more basic concepts to explain with.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
I have a well above average but not genius IQ and non-accounting type math (read Algebra, Geo, Calc) have never made sense to me. So I guess I'd like to point out that whether or not you have to have a high IQ to be great at Math/Science doesn't mean you will be so even if you do have a high IQ. Just sayin.
I hear allot of people claiming they have high IQ and that they have been tested. What does that mean? \
You say you are smarter than the Average person. You are not very good at math or science? What are you good at? If you have high IQ shouldn't math and science be easy for you to learn?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 04-07-2016 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 10:05 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There's a minimum threshold of intelligence necessary but beyond that, success is largely having a good teacher(s) and making a strong effort.
So, after an IQ of, lets say 75, its all just a waste of grey matter

Old 04-08-2016, 08:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
It is my opinion that they don't. Science is the study of nature, but one can also say that science "describes" nature. And the act of learning science is an act of learning it's language. And with that you can then learn how to decribe what you observe via equations. The key is that science is mostly visual and abstract reasoning, and it is intuitive to mankind. With all of the many thousands of years of scientific research, I feel that a person can actually learn science relatively easily.

Now the interesting point about mathematics is that there has never existed a society that has not figured out some system of mathematics. Mathematics is very innate to our humanity. As humans we innately understand quantities and measurements. And in doing that mathematics seems like it requires a very small amount of intellect.

Let's take one of the most complicated piece of mathematics. Calculus. It is concerning the rate of change. And this is based on the concept of derivatives. So once we are taught the methods in which we find the values of the function, then it's a fairly simple concept to understand. If we learn how to read the mathematical definition for solving a derivative, then we will know how to solve the problem.

Does this actually require any intelligence? Or does the concept of calculus just need to presented in an intuitive way?

I think it requires an high IQ to learn science in the horrible way schools teach them. But I don't believe it requires a high IQ to solve equations that require "higher mathematics". I think this is a myth about intelligence and needs to change so that we can better teach our young minds.
No . I have 137 but scored less in Math..

Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I hear allot of people claiming they have high IQ and that they have been tested. What does that mean? \
You say you are smarter than the Average person. You are not very good at math or science? What are you good at? If you have high IQ shouldn't math and science be easy for you to learn?

Well those smartypants people know that allot means to apportion, they know that alot isn't a word, like alittle isn't a word, and they know a lot of other stuff.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I had far more difficulty memorizing "times tables" than either algebra or calculus. Even so I still use a slide rule to do multiplication and division but use a calculator to figure out fractional exponents. It is just easier that way. I sometimes use trigonometry, algebra and calculus in my daily life but I have forgotten most due to disuse.

Once upon a time I could lay out a basin wide flood control and hydropower scheme including reservoir size, spillway capacity and channel size based on statistical stream flow. I could also figure out turbine capacity and size as well as expected power production. It was interesting work but relearning the details would take a while if ever as an ageing brain does not do as well as a young one.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

Now the interesting point about mathematics is that there has never existed a society that has not figured out some system of mathematics.
Well, yes, except that pra people counted real objects. So it was two cows. 3 rabbits. 10 sticks. So on.
Now mathematics is abstract. 2+2=4 but of what? It's pure abstraction and as such, does not really require high intellect as much as ability to work with abstract concepts and create them, adjust them, change them, as you wish or, as your theory calls for. As the result, you have very interesting mathematical twists, understood only to those who twisted them or have equally twisted mind.
I'd say this. Remember the old story about naked king? When ALL people "saw" his great outfit, and cheered and congratulated him on it, until a child, with clear mind yelled - The king is naked!
That's what people now mostly do. They listen to scientists putting all kinds of baloney into their ears and as it comes from SCIENTISTS, they cheer and congratulate them, no matter how ridiculous and anti common sense it is.
Say, go to the g'ol goof ball Einstein. 1+1=2; 1+1+1=3; but hey, 1+1+1+1 or 1+3 = bummer - 3 again. Past three, no matter what what your numbers are, it's 3. Will take hell of clear mind to say - King is naked!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,514 times
science yes. math no

Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM

708 posts, read 722,025 times
I don't if it requires a higher IQ but I do know that people with better math and science skills make more money
on the average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates