Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM

146 posts, read 121,074 times

Advertisements

some people where having an argument about this subject and some people were saying they feel marijuana smokers are likely to have impulsive behavior. most of the smokers feel like some may be effected, but most are already bad and impulsive in the first place. the non smokers and some ex smokers also said its a gateway drug because the high goes away, while the smokers say the people who go to more harsher drugs are out of their minds.

i don't smoke weed, but how do you feel about the subject?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 398,743 times
I think the question as presented is not worth debating. Where is your evidence that marijuana smokers exhibit "bad" or "impulsive" behavior? How do you define "bad" behavior?

BTW, I also don't smoke pot, but your initial question is so loaded that it could be used as a definition of a loaded question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

"A loaded question or complex question fallacy is a question that contains a controversial or unjustified assumption (e.g., a presumption of guilt)."

Old 04-11-2016, 09:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
in answer to your question "do you feel weed causes bad behavior in smokers or are people already bad from the start"?

There's nice people who smoke pot, and there's [bad people] who smoke pot. It's not the "weed" that makes you "bad".
The only "impulsive behavior" that may come from smoking pot would be if it was mixed with the consumption of alcohol or other drugs...then you got problems, but not from the pot.

Marijuana on it's own does NOT create a bad person from a good person.
I've know a variety of people in a variety of professions who indulge and it doesn't harm them in any way...
I also know people who drink a lot of alcohol...and yes...that does do them harm...funny why that's acceptable, but a weed with all the fantastic medicinal properties (causes cancer cells only to die...anti inflammatory, etc etc) is thought of (in this day and age) as something harmful to you.
With the multitude of mood altering doctor prescribed pharmaceuticals out there, it's amazing that marijuana is still considered as being harmful.
I could slap a fentanyl patch on, drop a couple of dilaudids, and a few tramadols, hop in my truck and head out....no problem....but people would rather rant about marijuana, and consider me a dangerous driver because of a little cannabis in my system.

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-15-2016 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 AM

510 posts, read 500,548 times
This is one of the reasons "drug education" is an absolute disaster in this country. All that propaganda does is make kids and adults believe an otherwise straight-laced, future-young republican is condemned to a lifetime of crime and mayhem because they smoked a joint once, or drank some gross beer at a high school party. There isn't a perfect cocktail of drugs which leads people down the "slippery slope" of bad person-hood, that comes from the individuals personality, home life, mental health etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I could slap a fentanyl patch on, drop a couple of dilaudids, and a few tramadols, hop in my truck and head out....no problem....but people would rather rant about marijuana, and consider me a dangerous driver because of a little cannabis in my system.

Oh good grief. I don't give a hoot whether someone chooses to toke up in their own home, but yes you are a DANGEROUS DRIVER if you DRIVE WHILE HIGH. I mean come on. Go buy your munchies before you light up and keep your high Moderator cut: language at home. And that goes for anyone who is high off of ANYTHING. Huffing your spray deodorant? Swig some Nyquil? I don't care, just stay off the Moderator cut: language roads!! You are going to kill someone!

Geez people.

Last edited by Jeo123; 04-11-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM

854 posts, read 586,198 times
Potheads are rarely tidy people.

I believe in live-and-let-live, but I'd like them to live in households that are not shared with me personally.

Thank god my pothead roommate days are behind me.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:39 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Living here in WA where it is "legal", you see people from all walks of life going in to the marijuana stores. Old hippies, guys in business suits, nerds, hipsters, and even curious little old ladies asking if the lip balm will give them a high. Not just your typical stoners.

In states where it is still illegal it will of course skew to folks willing to chance breaking that law and people in careers that wouldn't be wrecked by a failed drug test.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Since the decision to smoke anything is a bad health choice, I would say that poor behaviors predate smoking pot.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Drugs and alcohol are the same. There are good drunks and good druggies just like there are bad drunks and bad druggies.

But to the very specific point, here in Potland, OR where weed is legal I get to see a lot of stoned folks. Some become totally obnoxious and others just get quiet or friendly. So, whatever.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Drugs and alcohol are the same.
Marijuana and alcohol are absolutely not the same. Lot's of people die from alcohol consumption, to date there are no deaths related to marijuana consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates