Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:18 PM

105 posts, read 118,764 times

Advertisements

In Japan there are places people can go and sleep for a night called capsule hotels. Which look like just as they sound:

You can stay for $15-30 a night and it has its own TV and free wi-fi. Other accommodations such as food, snacks and bathrooms are shared.

Now while it certainly isn't the roomiest place, I think for someone say on the road and just needing a quick stay it could be nice. Whenever I have travelled I have always hated having to spend $100+ just for a motel room that I'm going to barely use. I think something like this would be quite convenient. True it may not be great for someone really big but I have heard it's quite comfortable, and it's very cheap. But you do get access to some nice amenities such as the above.

I know it probably wouldn't go over well in America but I know I would use them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel

Quote:
The guest room is a modular plastic or fiberglass block roughly 2 by 1 by 1.25 m (6 ft 7 in by 3 ft 3 in by 4 ft 1 in). Facilities differ, but most include a television, an electronic console, and wireless internet connection. The capsules are stacked side-by-side, two units high, with steps providing access to the second level rooms, leading to comparisons to corpse drawers in a morgue.[1] The open end of the capsule can be closed, for privacy, with a curtain or a fibreglass door. Luggage is stored in a locker; and washrooms are communal. Guests are asked not to smoke or eat in the capsules.[2] Some hotels also provide restaurants (or at least vending machines), pools, and other entertainment facilities.[3] Capsule hotels vary in size, from fifty or so capsules to 700, and they are used primarily by men.[4] Some capsule hotels offer separate sections for male and female guests. Clothes and shoes are sometimes exchanged for a yukata and slippers on entry. A towel may also be provided.

The benefit of these hotels is convenience and low price, usually around ¥2000-4000 (USD 19-38) a night. They provide an alternative for those who (especially on weeknights) may be too drunk to return home safely, or too embarrassed to face their spouses.[5] With continued recession in Japan, as of early 2010, more and more guests - roughly 30% at the Capsule Hotel Shinjuku 510 in Tokyo - were unemployed or underemployed and were renting capsules by the month.[6] This style of hotel has not gained wide popularity outside Japan, although Western variants known as "pod hotels"[7] have been developed, with larger accommodations and often private baths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:14 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Americans like their space and don't mind paying for it but money does talk and if you only need a place to crash for a night that is a much cheaper option than an entire room I think that would appeal to some.

I have stayed in tents that look smaller than those capsules.

The capsules pictured do remind me of a kennel arrangement ! LOL

I say why not try it in America.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
No. But I think there should be more budget hotels available in the US. Howard Johnson's does a remarkable job at providing quality amenities for a ridiculously low price. Something like that, even with fewer amenities, should be done for the pricier markets, like NYC, Bay Area, Seattle, so people could have a decent place to stay on a basic level without paying $100+. I suppose the cost of real estate in those markets makes it impossible.

One reason those work in Japan is that they've been living in tiny micro-apartments in Tokyo for generations, now. They've adapted, and have a diminished personal space requirement. It would never work in the US.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
OMG! That picture made my claustrophobia really kick in! No, I would never be able to use it, but it is a good idea probably for some people.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:11 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I think they look cool! Sure, I can see for business travel but also if you're on the kind of vacation where you literally are only in your room to sleep. What do you need besides TV, wifi, and a bed? For $30? Compared to $200 - no question that I'd do it for at least part of a vacation to make my travel dollar last longer. It looks a lot better than sharing a space in a hostel-type situation. Count me in!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
I must have issues.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the pic of the capsules was. . . .

Great place to light up inside and and clam bake.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 AM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
YOTEL chain provide cabin sized rooms, the company largely operates in airports, including London Gatwick, London Heathrow, and Schiphol (Amsterdam). On 13 June 2011, YOTEL officially opened[ a New York City Times Square branch at 570 10th Ave, 10036 as a part of the $300 Million MiMA complex which includes residential units. Rockwell Group and Softroom designed.

Simon Woodroffe, Chairman and Founder of YO! Company drew inspiration from Japanese capsule hotels he discovered on his travels and, infused with a sense of compact luxury from the British Airways first class lounge, the YOTEL concept was born.

As of 2015, YOTEL announced plans to expand to Boston, Dubai, Singapore (Orchard Road and Changi Airport), Paris (Charles De Gaulle Airport), Miami, San Francisco, and Williamsburg Brooklyn.

YOTEL - Wiki

Affordable Luxury Hotels - YOTEL

Sleepbox is also a similiar concept with hotels in NYC and some other major cities.

Sleepbox - Wiki

Sleepbox

There are some other interesting hotels listed in this article -

Pipes to Capsules: 7 of the Smallest Hotels & Hotel Rooms | Urbanist

Some weird guy reviewing the YOTEL at Heathrow Airport, London.

Sleepbox

Sweet dreams? 'Sleep Box' opens at Moscow airport - BBC News

Another company Snoozebox provides portable box hotel rooms for events. The rooms are made out of recycled shipping containers. The Shipping Container concept for Hotels is also becoming popular in China and the Far East, as well as Europe and the US.

Snoozebox - Wiki

Snoozebox The Portable Hotel

Pop-up hotel made from shipping containers - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-24-2016 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Americans like their space and don't mind paying for it but money does talk and if you only need a place to crash for a night that is a much cheaper option than an entire room I think that would appeal to some.

The word that comes to mind for me is spoiled. Americans seems to want a 2,500 house not need just want. I would sleep in one no problem looks comfy. If you can't sleep in a tent these won't work for you.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
I worked as a over the road trucker for quite a few years and lived and slept in something very similar, it's OK but not fun trying to get dressed while lying down, now the sleepbox room on post #7 looked pretty good.

bill

Old 04-24-2016, 10:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't think the women comes with the box.
I don't know she kinda looked like one of those Russian bride's advertised on alot of web sites.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates