Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:31 AM

290 posts, read 366,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, it's time to abolish the mandatory draft registry.
Hell, let's bring back all conscription, so we can get a bunch of recruits where 9 out of every 10 either can't complete the ASVAB, can't meet the basic physical requirements, or both. The best military is one that plops kids fresh out of high school who are overwhelmingly either not educated enough, too obese, or just plain unfit, into an environment where a lot of specialized highly tech-oriented knowledge and physical endurance is required. I think that's a great strategy if making a laughingstock out of our servicemen and women is the end goal. And if we want to fight nations that have technically complex weapons and strategies with a plan right out of All Quiet on the Western Front or The Deer Hunter.

(That was sarcasm. I think it would put the country and its servicepeople into extreme danger if the draft came back. It is not even necessary, it is a relic from another era where war was fought on turf using vastly different weapons and strategy. Abolish it for all. It serves no use.)

Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
I'm for front line draft.

Tired how hearing Hillary screech equal pay for equal work. Well here's an M16 toots

Old 05-14-2016, 09:30 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
This should be mandatory and I will only vote for a presidential candidate that endorses female conscription.
I agree. You want equal rights you get all that goes with it. I hate when I hear Selective Service ads on the radio and it's a female voice telling men its the right thing to do.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Not the hill I wish to die on. There are more important issues that need addressing before this one, imo. (as far as voting)

If it hits the fan it would be nice to think Americans will answer the call. I don't know if everyone out there is eligible, male or female. The women Marine slogan used to be "Free a man to fight." They could do the back line jobs so the guys could be on the front lines. I miss those days. (having been a woman in the Marines for 9yrs)

Women are certainly being trained for submarines, North Beach. One of the facilities I manage has a wing "hardened" just for women trainees. You can't trust the guys in the barracks but you're gonna stick them together on a submarine. Brilliant.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not the hill I wish to die on. There are more important issues that need addressing before this one, imo. (as far as voting)

If it hits the fan it would be nice to think Americans will answer the call. I don't know if everyone out there is eligible, male or female. The women Marine slogan used to be "Free a man to fight." They could do the back line jobs so the guys could be on the front lines. I miss those days. (having been a woman in the Marines for 9yrs)

Women are certainly being trained for submarines, North Beach. One of the facilities I manage has a wing "hardened" just for women trainees. You can't trust the guys in the barracks but you're gonna stick them together on a submarine. Brilliant.

Ok, I thought the bubbleheads were still Male Only. Yeah, I agree with you on the barracks thing.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Since our military budget is one often increased, it can sustain either gender in enlisting or being mandated .

Where does the person qualify in service? What health issues may deter?

And since no privacy in person hygiene (use of bathroom facilities) is being federally mandated, it stands to reason that these young adults can be equally accountable to government regulations on conscription.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:42 PM

477 posts, read 276,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, it's time to abolish the mandatory draft registry.
This is the standard cop out. There is nothing wrong with having the appropriate registry of bodies needed in the event of an all-out war.

It's funny how little effort was put into calling for an end to selective service registry when it was only men who were forced to sign up in lieu of various punishments/fines, but similar to *a tiny few* women paying their former husbands alimony, now that the shoe may fit the other foot, it's time to end it?

Equality until it's inconvenient, or not fun, or too hard.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:05 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
This is the standard cop out. There is nothing wrong with having the appropriate registry of bodies needed in the event of an all-out war.

It's funny how little effort was put into calling for an end to selective service registry when it was only men who were forced to sign up in lieu of various punishments/fines, but similar to *a tiny few* women paying their former husbands alimony, now that the shoe may fit the other foot, it's time to end it?

Equality until it's inconvenient, or not fun, or too hard.
Or it could be that I'm a pacifist and not interested in being part of your war machine.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I agree the draft should be abolished. Until that happens, however, women should also be subject to it.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:09 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

Funny, I was reading a piece today honoring this guy who was a WW1 pilot and was on the Selective Service Board at the beginning of WW2. He lamented that men were getting married saying they were sole-support for their wives, or their parents who suddenly became unemployed. I think in the civil war, people paid others to take their place, something similar went on for WW1. After the Japanese attacked people attitudes changed I guess. During Vietnam people got college deferments, some joined the National Guard, they didn't seem to activate them as much to go to Vietnam. I think it's ironic that George W. Bush was in the Air National Guard and didn't go to Vietnam, yet a lot of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan were reservists or National Guardsmen, some doing multiple tours.

It's usually the poor that go off to war, although there is the odd exception. Some countries have mandatory govt service, I think that's a better idea. Everyone does something in service to their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates