Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times

Advertisements

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his life -- literally -- for black Americans.

Does anyone think he would be disappointed now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,555,252 times
Yes. Immensely.

Not just for the problems blacks still face but also how ignorant many blacks have become of what he truly stood for. I think the modern SJW approach to racism and "safe spaces" and complaining about how whites should not be allowed to quote Dr. King would make him angry.

I think, also, the sight of many young black men and women allowing themselves to live the gang life would upset him. Sure, not everybody has the same opportunities, but a lot of people have more than they are willing to reach for. Laziness has as much to do with the ghetto life as anything else does.

I think he'd feel failed. Not a failure, but as though those he died for failed him.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 AM

12,967 posts, read 13,698,800 times
The tears that Jessie Jackson shed at The President's election speech says what MLK would feel today. Proof to the world that he was right . African Americans can do more than what white America expected out of them. Whether or not individual African Americans succeed is not a race issue but a social issue.

Martin Luther King didn't die for African Americans, he was murdered like many African Americans before him expecting to be treated with respect. Every African American who was murdered didn't die for the struggle. They where murdered so white bigotry could live another day.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,344,095 times
I think he would disappointed that despite black people having so much more opportunity than they did when MLK was alive too many prefer to join a gang, live the thug life and kill each other over imagined slights and drug deals. He was all about peace, however that is not what is going on in many black communities.

I wish I could have seen his face, however when President Obama took office.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:43 AM

323 posts, read 562,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

No, he didn't give anything. His life was taken from him. And if he wouldn't have been killed, he could answer this question himself.

But to answer the question, no I don't think he would be disappointed. I think he would love us now as he did then, and be proud to call us his, despite the issues we are still facing today.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,207,821 times
African American HS and college graduation is at all time highs with crime, teenage pregnancies, being at all time lows

Old 05-15-2016, 03:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,915 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-achsPnLQAw

Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,834,119 times
Disappointed? Yes.
Surprised? No.

Dr. King was a realist. He understood the necessity of striving for great things while understanding that the real world would invariably make that struggle a long and difficult and ever-imperfect one.

This thread, for example - wherein numerous posters pretend to care about the fates of blacks but really as just using the topic to complain about them - would not surprise him in the slightest, I think. If anything, he'd probably be surprised at just how far society has come in the past 48 years.

PS:
Is this really a great debate? And by 'this' I do not mean just this thread itself but this sort of thread, these BOY, WOULDN'T OUR IDEALIZED ANCESTORS BE BUMMED OUT 'CAUSE THE PRESENT REALLY SUCKS AND THE PAST WAS SO MUCH BETTER? threads in general.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:06 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,259,732 times
We don't have to speculate. We already know what he was thinking. People forget that when he died in 1968 - it was a full 3 years after the most significant civil rights legislation - the civil rights act and voting rights act.

MLK was already disappointed with the fact that legislation was not doing enough. In his final year, he had become much more concerned about wealth inequality more broadly and how it impacted blacks. He was killed not long after marching with a custodians union. He was planning a "poor people's march" on Washington that would be multi-racial.

He was not happy with where the civil rights movement had moved in the mid-to-late 1960s. He got a lot of criticism himself too, a lot of arguments that his new direction was too broad, too unrealistic.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,259,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

In some regard yes. I just watched some videos on Liveleak, bored as I was up so early, and there are so many videos of black women and men fighting with large groups of blacks cheering them on and recording everything. One fight had two ladies (used loosely) fighting then fall through a window with both ending up with massive stitches per the commentary. While stupidity and ugliness runs the gamut in all races for some reason I tend to see more of this in the black community, at least on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates