Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As with abortion, I assume it depends on when the fetus is viable.
Seems totally reasonable that that should be the criterion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
If it's still in the womb, it does not have personhood. So one murder. You don't get a dependent tax deduction while you are pregnant, you have to wait until it is born.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
You are ignoring the issue of consent. If a woman is murdered and her fetus dies, she did not consent to the act that lead to both deaths and depending on the jurisdiction the killer could be charged with two counts of murder.

If I take some of my own money, place it in a fireplace and burn it, no crime took place. If you take the same money from me without my consent and burn it, you would be charged with a crime.

It is completely logical if you actually think about it absent a political agenda.
Money isn't a living being though so I don't think your example works. The reason why this question is so interesting is because the fetus is considered something different depending on who does the killing. If it is a third party killer, the fetus is a human being. If the mother is the killer, the fetus is a lump of flesh. Probably not since slavery has there been a similar situation with regard to killing.

For the record, I am pro-choice, though I find abortion to be disgusting. This particular obvious inconsistency in the law just really annoys me.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:36 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
As I thought, it depends on the state as I have seen this come up more than once and the abortion advocates get all hot and bothered realizing that a human fetus (unborn young) is considered a "person". This negates their whole argument about human rights. Anyone that ends the life of a human is a murderer in my book.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/...tate-laws.aspx

Two humans died and the person should be held accountable for both deaths.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It's only a human if the mother decides she wants it.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
There has been people convicted of double homicide when the killing of a pregnant woman. It depends on when the state recognizes the unborn fetus a actual person mostly in the last few months of gestation most states it will be a double homicide. Federal law does recognize unborn as a victim. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unborn...f_Violence_Act

Abortion isn't a factor in this because a homicide is use of force to kill. Abortion is a mothers choice I don't feel the 2 have anything to do with one another even though Anti Abortion groups would like it to be.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
As CatTX said, the IRS does not consider a fetus as a person. It is not deductible on income taxes until it is born. This should therefore represent the federal position. The states should not be able to supersede.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
A few weeks ago, a male* murdered his pregnant wife in their home. He is being charged with TWO counts of murder.

Man charged in pregnant wife's murder | KARE11.com

*he is most definitely NOT a man, since a man does not murder his wife.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:57 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is not how the supreme court views abortion. There is a gestational cutoff dependent on the point at which the fetus is viable outside the womb then abortion becomes illegal. Why would it be different when considering the murder of the host. If you murder a pregnant woman 12 weeks along the fetus would not survive anyway, if you murder her at 24 weeks the fetus could survive outside the womb, if it dies you essentially have murdered two.
I could give two $hits about what the Supreme Court thinks. This country has all but been ruined by lawyers, they should be shunned to the edges of society.

Now, try to actually argue the point I was making...

You can't.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:54 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
The thing that people always forget is that if abortion is legal, that simply means a woman has a choice of whether or not to get an abortion. It does NOT mean that random people are going to be forced into having an abortion. If a woman is pregnant, you can probably assume she made a choice to have that baby. If someone murders that woman, then he is taking her choice away from her along with taking her life and yes, he should be charged with a double homicide.

If a woman is forced to have an abortion, then the person forcing her should also be charged with a homicide, a double homicide if the woman dies in the forced abortion. If the woman chooses to have an abortion on her own, it's her choice, and there shouldn't be any more discussion about it.

The laws making abortion legal are not about abortion per se. They're about a woman's right to do as she pleases with her body and to protect any choice she makes. Making abortion legal is making a woman's choice legal. So if a woman decided to have an abortion, she can't be forced to have a baby any more than a woman who wants to keep her baby can be forced to have an abortion. The same law covers both instances. Pro-lifers tend to confuse that issue and make it what it's not. It's an issue about choice, not an issue about abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates