Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times

Advertisements

What bothers me is that many people have no shame. Where is the shame not working and accepting handouts?

I think people should be required to work for their welfare benefits - maybe a government program working on our infrastructure - people need to realize life is not fair - you can be born into a poor family or a rich family and that determines your life - its not fair but that's the way it is - unless you work your way up by hook and by crook - not fun - not easy -

Birth control is also free for the poor - why are they still having kids? You should not have kids if you cannot afford them. Having 5 or more kids is only for the rich nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:45 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton08865 View Post
once upon a time I use to drive past the projects to get to my full time career job. One morning my husband was driving me to work and I said to him ,"Its not fair that you and I have to work a full time job and these people don't have to do anything and get all that was mentioned in the article. Food stamps, phones, help with electric and he stopped me in mid sentence and said ........ Honey is that all you want out of life. living the way they chose to? Do you really think they can go on vacations and all the perks and we get? I thought about it and said you are right they are happy getting all of those things but there life is so much smaller not to mention all the kids they have. We stopped a one since that is all we could afford.

So today both of us are retired and have so much more then the generations of families that choose to live that kind of life. its not for us to judge its only about what we contribute in our world. lesson learned...
But the alternative for people living in the projects on welfare is not living an upper-middle-class life, it's living a just barely working-class life. They don't have the talent to earn an upper middle income or they'd be doing it. Faced with the prospect of working and not making much money, it is understandable that many of them don't. People respond to incentives.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 PM

366 posts, read 493,785 times
Quote:

So today both of us are retired and have so much more then the generations of families that choose to live that kind of life. its not for us to judge its only about what we contribute in our world. lesson learned...
When they are forcefully taking my money, which they are, you can darn well bet I stand in judgment of them. I am not willingly paying any taxes to support the poor - period. I consider it theft. And consider people who vote to assist people thieves also.

However if you want to liquidate all your assets and give it to the poor, or take a bucket down to the homeless shelter and wash their feet, well please, feel free to do so and exercise your compassion without picking my pocket.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
once upon a time I use to drive past the projects to get to my full time career job. One morning my husband was driving me to work and I said to him ,"Its not fair that you and I have to work a full time job and these people don't have to do anything and get all that was mentioned in the article. Food stamps, phones, help with electric and he stopped me in mid sentence and said ........ Honey is that all you want out of life. living the way they chose to? Do you really think they can go on vacations and all the perks and we get? I thought about it and said you are right they are happy getting all of those things but there life is so much smaller not to mention all the kids they have. We stopped a one since that is all we could afford.

I love this post, and thank you for sharing it.

I work with the poor. Most of them do work, and they work hard, far harder than I do assisting them.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
What bothers me is that many people have no shame. Where is the shame not working and accepting handouts?

I think people should be required to work for their welfare benefits - maybe a government program working on our infrastructure - people need to realize life is not fair - you can be born into a poor family or a rich family and that determines your life - its not fair but that's the way it is - unless you work your way up by hook and by crook - not fun - not easy -

Birth control is also free for the poor - why are they still having kids? You should not have kids if you cannot afford them. Having 5 or more kids is only for the rich nowadays.
How do you know they feel no shame? How do you know they have the skills, the health and the education to support themselves? How do you know they aren't living the hell of long term poverty with no way out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
When they are forcefully taking my money, which they are, you can darn well bet I stand in judgment of them. I am not willingly paying any taxes to support the poor - period. I consider it theft. And consider people who vote to assist people thieves also.

However if you want to liquidate all your assets and give it to the poor, or take a bucket down to the homeless shelter and wash their feet, well please, feel free to do so and exercise your compassion without picking my pocket.
Too bad. You also benefit from government subsidies, every single day of your life.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
We are coming to a point where there won't be jobs for everyone, especially for people on the lower end of of the IQ scale.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Before getting into heated ebate on how "poor" people need support from "rich" ones and "society" everyone needs to read on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe

And see what happens when low life and marginal folk is encourage with "free" welfare.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So you'd punish the children by withholding food on the basis that their parents might be irresponsible?
The answer, of course, is no.

Please read my post and see if you get it.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 AM

366 posts, read 493,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Honestly, I think you have to start shaming them yourself. Every time I see someone use their Link card I try and disparage them as much as possible. For the life of me, I think both food stamps and the electronic cards were horrible ideas. If we are forced to subsidize the nutrition of people at all, then I think it should be in the form of some bland, flavorless gruel that supplies all their nutritional needs. We certainly should not have welfare recipients shopping in the same stores as the people who are forced to support them. I want them so miserable and wallowing in despair and misery that there every thought is how do I lift myself out of this, not, gee this Pop-tart taste pretty good. ever look at what is in the shopping cart of people on public assistance; it is sickening.

Quote:
They now have birth control shots - at a minimum they should be mandatory. I believe sterilization of both sexes should be a prerequisite for receiving welfare.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The answer, of course, is no.

Please read my post and see if you get it.
The OP is referencing a program that provides meals to children who depend on free/reduced lunches during the school year and who are at risk during the summer months. Regardless of one's thoughts about the reasons for that, these are children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates