Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times

Advertisements

It seems to me, the biggest divide in our country right now isn't the racial or political divides, but rather the divide between those Americans who have some ability to see things from other peoples perspectives and those who are either unwilling or unable to. Some people seem to approach the world with absolute certainty that they are right and their opponeints are wrong and driven by negative intentions. Others believe the world is messy and no one person has a monopoly on wisdom or virture. Does anyone else agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I pretty much agree.

In fact, the only part I disagree with is that it is almost always an unwillingness, rarely an inability to walk in another person's shoes.

When you think back you can recall that we used to talk about Americans evolving into the "me generation". Well, when all you think about is "me", why even try to interact with people who are different than "me"?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I pretty much agree.

In fact, the only part I disagree with is that it is almost always an unwillingness, rarely an inability to walk in another person's shoes.
Yeah, I do struggle with why that seems like such a foreign concept to so many people. I get there are certain deeply held basic moral principals that do sometime make it hard to compromise or see the other side. But, I don't get why so many seemingly sensible, good natured people are attracted to uncompromising absolutist stands.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:21 PM

531 posts, read 384,798 times
I agree, people get set in their views, and refuse to see it any other way. No consideration for what someone else may have gone through, just a my way or youre wrong type of attitude.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:41 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, I do struggle with why that seems like such a foreign concept to so many people. I get there are certain deeply held basic moral principals that do sometime make it hard to compromise or see the other side. But, I don't get why so many seemingly sensible, good natured people are attracted to uncompromising absolutist stands.
One of the best comments I heard about this whole this situation came from former president George Bush today: "Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions." I would only depart in that with the word intentions, because as we have clearly seen here on City-Data, it would be more accurate to say: "Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our self-image, which is often excessively fictional."

Old 07-12-2016, 07:26 PM

436 posts, read 521,686 times
Then empathy goes both ways. Admitting a lack of empathy between two parties means meeting in the middle for a resolution.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
Empathy. That is exactly the word. A colleague, a teacher in middle school, is quitting this year. She told me she couldn't take it anymore, that the students had absolutely no empathy for anyone. She's done. Sad. She is an amazing teacher and I will dearly miss her.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Sadly it seems that human empathy has always had a positive correlation to the distance an empathizer is from the actual situation. In short, the greater the distance, the greater the empathy.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,445,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It seems to me, the biggest divide in our country right now isn't the racial or political divides, but rather the divide between those Americans who have some ability to see things from other peoples perspectives and those who are either unwilling or unable to. Some people seem to approach the world with absolute certainty that they are right and their opponeints are wrong and driven by negative intentions. Others believe the world is messy and no one person has a monopoly on wisdom or virture. Does anyone else agree?
I agree with your statement.

From experience, when you start questioning the absolutes in some people's thinking, they often react fiercely and become more entrenched then ever. It is amazing to me how loud some can be, it often comes as a substitute of at least attempting to see it from the other perspective (trying to put yourself in another person's shoes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates