Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't see why not. Women deserve those benefits, as well.

If they don't want to serve, they'll just get pregnant, won't they? Expect a baby boom, then.

Once it's explained to young women that if they serve, they'll have all sorts of benefits throughout their lives, they'll probably be on board (not that anyone asked the young men). Ability to finance through USAA, housing assistance and special rates, benefits on insurance, medical benefits, death benefits, and other things both current and for the future.

They don't have to serve in combat positions. There are a lot of other types of positions.
I'm sure some would decide that they suddenly needed to have a baby, but there's a big difference between a two year and an eighteen year obligation.

You don't get those benefits unless you qualify for disability or stay in for twenty.

Selective services? I say everyone in or everyone out. If it continues, I think it should be a branch of the IRS. They do a terrific job finding people--except for the illegal residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 05:17 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I really never understand this mentality that women will get pregnant to get our of something. Kids are loud, time consuming and expensive. If the sales of birth control say anything its that most young people don't want to get pregnant.

Also practically everybody under the sun can qualify for USAA. Its a private organization which loosely "requires" someone from your family to have been part of the military. Had a grandparent in WWII? (majority of millennials) BOOM! USAA card. It is nothing but a marketing ploy.
My father was a veteran of a foreign war. Mom couldn't become a USAA member because dad had never been a member. They don't accept everyone.

My son qualifies because dad was career military and was a USAA member. He has their credit card and terrific auto insurance. Score!

You're flippin' clueless.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm sure some would decide that they suddenly needed to have a baby, but there's a big difference between a two year and an eighteen year obligation.

You don't get those benefits unless you qualify for disability or stay in for twenty.

Selective services? I say everyone in or everyone out. If it continues, I think it should be a branch of the IRS. They do a terrific job finding people--except for the illegal residents.
Many benefits available even if you just serve 2 years.
GI Bill for education, eligible for a GI Loan, VA healthcare, burial for free in a Veteran's cemetery,

Old 08-06-2016, 08:59 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post
The female politicians pushed heaven and hell to get women able to serve in any combat position. Not only that, but in many services and positions they continue to have a lower fitness standard than men of the same job.

They absolutely should have to register. Maybe more women would pay attention to what their congressmen are doing. Everything should be the same. Selective Service. Qualification and fitness standards.

Then you have situations like this:

Woman who failed FDNY physical test 6 times gets another chance | New York Post

Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Now that Women can go into combat, they must register for selective service just like guys have to.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 AM

477 posts, read 276,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Somebody has to stay behind to help run the society, and take care of the children and elderly in times of war.
It is AMAZING how often we hear "women can do anything a man can do," unless that "thing" is dangerous, unappealing, or unfulfilling.

It is also AMAZING how asking women "to stay at home and take care of the children and elderly" is sexist, misogynist, etc, etc, UNTIL it's what women WANT to do when it becomes preferable to going to war.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Yes, the 14th ammendment means ALL U.S. citizens should be force to register for selective service OR none should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates