Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times

Advertisements

Upon examining how people in society live, work, go to school, shop, vacation, behave and even think, a striking pattern seems to emerge:

A rich person is usually very much like other rich people.

An upper-middle class person is usually very much like other upper-middle class people.

A lower middle-class person is usually very much like other lower-middle class people.

And on and on.

Even a homeless person is usually very much like other homeless people whether they're in New York, Chicago or San Francisco. It's all the same.

So, are we under this big illusion about our own personal uniqueness and individuality when in fact who we are and what we are is largely determined by our socioeconomic status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, are we under this big illusion about our own personal uniqueness and individuality when in fact who we are and what we are is largely determined by our socioeconomic status?
Not completely, but yes, to a large extent. The problem is humans are copycats. And we copy the people around us/the people we're closest to. In America, we have this delusion that we're tough minded individualists, but we're actually very prone to groupthink and copycat behavior.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:06 PM

296 posts, read 413,915 times
There is a relationship between our SES and our unique individuality. Others can evaluate us by our behavior and vocabulary. Your house, car, and clothing, etc., reveal something about your income. Google analytics loves to size you up. You can tell by how they slow your computer down! It is not a coincidence that each stratification of SES contains similar elements; it is that way by definition. So then, after we fit into one of the stated groups (e.g., middle class), are we conditioned to fulfill those roles? Yes, to some degree. People influence each other especially if they are similar.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work, I drive a car with 225K miles on it, I wear running shoes or flip-flops most of the time. What socioeconomic status can you infer from that information?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I wear jeans and a polo shirt to work, I drive a car with 225K miles on it, I wear running shoes or flip-flops most of the time. What socioeconomic status can you infer from that information?
None. But I could probably deduce quite a bit in a 20 minute conversation.

The clothes on your back and the car you drive don't have a particularly high correlation to income and wealth these days.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
None. But I could probably deduce quite a bit in a 20 minute conversation...
Even then, you'll only know what I want you to know.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
My best guess would be that you're a brain surgeon.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:23 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,966 times
Regarding just cars people drive alone, just curious how would you group the following in terms of socio-economic status (i.e., middle class, upper-middle class, upper class, etc.):

1. Generic entry-range Honda or Toyota vehicle
2. (All intended as the mid-range or higher-end models) Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camaro, or Dodge Charger
3. BMW or Audi
4. Corvette
5. Ferrari or Lamborghini
6. Rolls Royce

My own personal best guesses:

1. middle class
2. middle class to upper-middle class
3. upper-middle class to upper class
4. upper-middle class to upper class
5. upper class
6. upper class

ETA: adds

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 07-15-2016 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
Regarding just cars people drive alone, just curious how would you group the following in terms of socio-economic status (i.e., middle class, upper-middle class, upper class, etc.):

1. (All intended as the higher-end models) Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camaro, or Dodge Charger
2. BMW or Audi
3. Corvette
4. Ferrari or Lamborghini
5. Rolls Royce

My own personal best guesses:

1. middle class to upper-middle class
2. upper-middle class to upper class
3. upper-middle class to upper class
4. upper class
5. upper class
I think that is spot on. These kinds of distinctions are fairly well-defined in our society.

Also, an upper-middle class person is going to live in a McMansion at some point (very typical). An upper class person is going to live in a mansion or have large condominiums or penthouse apartments in expensive cities like New York or San Francisco where others cannot afford such things.

It seems to me that socioeconomic status trumps everything else about a person in this day and age.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:55 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It seems to me that socioeconomic status trumps everything else about a person in this day and age.
While that may seem to be true for most Americans, as some people age, they actually mature.

Unfortunately, since maturity is not a characteristic sought by most Americans, you are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates