Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times

Advertisements

Originally, service animals were guide dogs for the blind. But it's gradually coming to the point where almost anyone can consider almost any animal to be a service animal and insist it be allowed where other animals aren't allowed.

If it's likely to gradually become a major problem, should we draw a line somewhere, between a legitimate service animal, and just any random duck prescribed by any random quack? If so, where should we draw that line, and how should we enforce it, without causing problems for those who legitimately need service animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 12:50 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
When a refugee leads his camel in, it will definitely be a problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:57 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Originally, service animals were guide dogs for the blind. But it's gradually coming to the point where almost anyone can consider almost any animal to be a service animal and insist it be allowed where other animals aren't allowed.

If it's likely to gradually become a major problem, should we draw a line somewhere, between a legitimate service animal, and just any random duck prescribed by any random quack? If so, where should we draw that line, and how should we enforce it, without causing problems for those who legitimately need service animals?
"support animals" is similar to SS Disability

Some claims are legit but both systems have been badly abused.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:19 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
...but until then camels are OK for native-born Americans

Old 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The support animal is supposed to lead the disabled person, not vice versa.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"support animals" is similar to SS Disability

Some claims are legit but both systems have been badly abused.
I think it's SSI, not SSD, that has the kind of claims you're thinking of. The difference is that SSD is for disabled workers, but SSI is for those who can't work in the first place. If you held a job as a cop or barber for 20 years, it's hard to pretend you're suddenly retarded or whatever. It's much easier to pretend your children are, who never held a job. Some parents even prevent their children from learning to read, to make it easier to qualify them for SSI.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
No.

It will never be anything but a first world problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
The only animals allowed to serve as service animals are any breed of dog and, in some cases, miniature horses. With respect to Emotional Support Animals, there are no species or breed restictions. Consequently, cats, rabbits, miniature pigs, ferrets, birds, etc. may be ESAs. https://www.nsarco.com/faq.html

So strictly speaking, service animals are restricted to dogs and maybe a mini horse.

An emotional support animal (ESA) is a dog that belongs to a person who is emotionally or psychologically (psychiatrically) disabled. Some people refer to them as a "Comfort Animal", but that term isn't recognized in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The person's doctor (a licensed mental health professional or LMHP) has determined that the presence of the animal is necessary for the person's mental health and that they are considered disabled as a result. The LMHP must also write a letter of prescription stating the dog is necessary for the normal day to functioning of the disabled person. The letter must be very specifically written to be acceptable to property managers and airlines. Under current ADA and Fair Housing laws, an ESA is ONLY protected as follows:
  • An ESA may fly in the cabin of a commercial or private airline with their disabled handler, and the handler does not have to pay a pet or other fee. A very specific prescription letter from a licensed mental health profession is ALWAYS required by airlines, as well as advance notice in most cases that the passenger will be flying with an ESA.
  • Landlords and property managers must make reasonable accommodations for tenants or prospective tenants with ESAs, even if the apartment, house, college dorm, or other residence does not allow pets. Reasonable fees may be asked of the client, similar to a pet fee. Besides requiring a letter of prescription. Property managers/landlords may require that the (prospective) tenant's mental health professional complete and sign a Third Party Verification form.
This is where the problems could come into play.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:39 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,449 times
A friend has two dogs trained as comfort dogs. They went through special training, are certified, and a physician's note and prescription were required in order for them to become true service dogs (under the ADA).

It is very common in SF for millennials to own "service dogs," thus legally allowing their dogs in tiny apartments, restaurants, workplaces, public transportation. Anyone can go online for "certification" documents and harnesses indicating service animal.

There really aren't strong regulations in place. However, a landlord may require proof from a legitimate organization. Most restaurant owners are disgusted with the practice because of Health Department concerns. Plus, not every patron is a dog person, and heaven help the person allergic to fleas.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
It's already a problem as far as I'm concerned. There are dogs in practically every store I go into these days and I find it disconcerting enough that I usually leave. I used to work in retail and you wouldn't believe some of the inappropriate things I've seen people allow their dogs to do. I especially don't like to see animals in restaurants.

I took my mother to a clinic earlier this week for an out-patient medical procedure she needed. There was a man in the treatment area holding a dog with a pink rhinestone collar and its claws painted with bright pink nail polish. One of the nurses was cheerfully fussing over the animal instead of doing her job. A patient in the area asked why the dog was there. The man answered, "My wife's getting shots and this is her comfort animal." (That's the term HE used.) So I guess her husband wasn't comfort enough? She couldn't wait until she was back in the car to be reunited with her beloved?

I and the other caregivers left the area as soon as we had delivered our patient, yet this man stayed in the treatment room with a dog.

I certainly can tell the difference between a trained service animal and one of these pets. People who have service animals don't pick them up, chatter to them, dress them in costumes, or allow strange children to kiss them (which I have seen in Costco). I know there also are people who are legitimately helped by an emotional support animal — people with severe traumas, etc. But they are few and far between. If we have this many disturbed people in the U.S. who can't pick up groceries or have a meal in the local diner without their "comfort animal" we are in even worse shape as a society than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates