Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

I am sure anyone on here have seen this claim that Schools indoctrinate students for a while now. My two questions are why do people claim that and how do these schools that are alleged to do it, do it? I've seen this claim yet do not get proof behind this claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:41 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
"Indoctrinate" is a weasel-word most commonly used by people who wish to raise a commotion where none is actually warranted.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
If you have been indoctrinated then it would not be apparent what indoctrination is. Your brain has already been rewired and is apart of you. Indoctrination is obvious to those that were raised in another time or have the ability to see past the their own indoctrination.

So if the OP can't "see it" then the schools have done their job successfully.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times
Would someone please explain to me how teaching a student in Algebra I could possibly indoctrinate a student?
Could someone please explain to me how teaching a chemistry student about the steps needed to perform a stoichiometry problem could possibly influence a student's religious beliefs?
Could someone please explain to me how a health science teacher performing a lesson on the gastrointestinal system could affect a student's political stance?
Could someone please explain to me how an English teacher could threaten a student's moral beliefs by having them read Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher"?

The only possible place in which a teacher could have any potential influence or indoctrinate a student is in a History or Political Science class. And 95%+ of the students have close to zero interest in either of these topics. (BTW, I'm a 21+ year veteran of teaching science in public high schools).

Indoctrination is too often used by ignorant people to describe something being taught that they disagree with, without having any clue as to why they do.

Last edited by Starman71; 10-29-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 02:22 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Would someone please explain to me how teaching a student in Algebra I could possibly indoctrinate a student?
Could someone please explain to me how teaching a chemistry student about the steps needed to perform a stoichiometry problem could possibly influence a student's religious beliefs?
Could someone please explain to me how a health science teacher performing a lesson on the gastrointestinal system could affect a student's political stance?
Could someone please explain to me how an English teacher could threaten a student's moral beliefs by having them read Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher"?

The only possible place in which a teacher could have any potential influence or indoctrinate a student is in a History or Political Science class. And 95%+ of the students have close to zero interest in either of these topics. (BTW, I'm a 21+ year veteran of teaching science in public high schools).

Indoctrination is too often used by ignorant people to describe something being taught that they disagree with, without having any clue as to why they do.
All good points, but none of what you've written addresses the facts surrounding the early education regime wherein the student is "formed" by his/her experience with regard to the regimentation that is at the heart of every child's initiation to authority. Is that bad? Probably not, but it does constitute a kind of indoctrination. Any amount of reading about public school indoctrination reveals a huge body of suspicion on the part of conservatives, and to a smaller extent some liberals.

Most people hate to admit the fact of their children being exposed to a far more severe type of indoctrination in the home, instead, preferring to demonize the schools for allowing a different view of our world than that of the parents. Homeschooling was founded on that suspicion and to this day remains the number one reason for such isolation from the "world." As a side note: It is the teaching of US history that often is at the bottom of complaints regarding an exclusionary aspect to public school versions of our history. It certainly was the case in the fifties, but today not so much.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
It would certainly be a great way to reach of lot of receptive and developing brains! But it would take a huge effort to have all teachers or all textbooks teach the "right" thing. Some conspiracy theorists no doubt think it's being done now in the U.S. I'm sure it was done in China but not here....

Old 10-29-2016, 02:50 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Some today would say that any kid who was required to recite the pledge of allegiance every morning was indoctrinated into believing that America is something that it is not. Others would say that it instilled pride in yesterdays youth.

Indoctrinated is a "weasel" word as one wrote but if kids are only taught one side of an arguement which caters to an agenda such as global warming/ climate change or whatever they are calling it today what are we to think?

Kids should be taught to think for themselves and use all the evidence available to make an educated decision but many times that does not happen.
We have seen examples here on CD where people have posted how the dirty parts of the Civil War are not taught (sorry kids slavery did exist) and another post had kids being taught about Islam and the quran in depth but nothing was allowed to be discussed about Christianity. Why not?

A kid has many influences in their lives which starts with the parents then evolves to teachers then to friends so it is tough to point the finger of blame at the schools.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:

And dishonest people leave out anything that doesn't support their position. I doubt many people have accused STEM teachers of indoctrinating students. Teachers of social classes do it all the time.

How can teaching English influence a student? Easily by selectively picking the assignments students are given to read or write about, and by giving student poor grades when they contradict the teachers bias.

How can teaching history influence a student? Easily by leaving out facts or painting one side as good and another evil. You think the Revolutionary War history is taught the same in the US as in the UK? Or World War II the same in the US as in Japan?

How can teaching politics influence a student? Easily when you portray one viewpoint as good and any other as bad. Do you honestly think teachers are giving Trump the same treatment as Hillary or Obama? Do you think teachers wearing BLM shirts in class aren't pushing a certain viewpoint?

Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Exactly. It's a red herring. There's no indoctrination in language classes, the many sciences, music, art, STEM, anthropology, archaeology, even literature. The one area I can think of where that occurs, ok--two areas, are: Latin American studies, where there are some left or radical faculty members, but they're usually a minority within the department, and Women's Studies.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:12 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Indoctrinated is a "weasel" word as one wrote but if kids are only taught one side of an arguement which caters to an agenda such as global warming/ climate change or whatever they are calling it today what are we to think?
"Agenda" is a weasel-word implying that the facts warrant some other and more valid conclusion. When the global scientific community speaks in consensus, it is not over an "agenda".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates