Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times

Advertisements

Simple solution.....don't commit a crime! I have found that prison isn't something that interests me so I don't commit crimes. Crazy concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
Prison is punishment. Fair and square.

If we make it too comfy in there people won't care if they have to go there.
I would rather see their sentence be one of rehabilitation, where they exit that prison a better, more honest person who is better-equipped, mentally and emotionally, to escape the sort of bad choices that put them there to begin with. Instead of constantly degrading and humiliating them, provide training that can help them get good jobs once they're released. Hire better counselors who can work with inmates to give them a sense of self-worth and help steer them off the course of criminal mentality, so they can get out of prison and contribute something of value to our society.
But of course, we are not going to do that, because we need an never ending flow of prisoners, so we could make money out of their crime.

BTW: If States are increasingly utilizing prison labor, AND making great profit, are they still receiving taxpayers' money?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would rather see their sentence be one of rehabilitation, where they exit that prison a better, more honest person who is better-equipped, mentally and emotionally, to escape the sort of bad choices that put them there to begin with. Instead of constantly degrading and humiliating them, provide training that can help them get good jobs once they're released. Hire better counselors who can work with inmates to give them a sense of self-worth and help steer them off the course of criminal mentality, so they can get out of prison and contribute something of value to our society.
But of course, we are not going to do that, because we need an never ending flow of prisoners, so we could make money out of their crime.

BTW: If States are increasingly utilizing prison labor, AND making great profit, are they still receiving taxpayers' money?
Rehab only works if a person truly wants to change their life. Many people don't so rehab fails.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Simple solution.....don't commit a crime! I have found that prison isn't something that interests me so I don't commit crimes. Crazy concept!
Lucky you!
But not everyone is so lucky, some people are simply at greater risk of becoming offenders because of the circumstances into which they are born, or opportunities they were given.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Rehab only works if a person truly wants to change their life. Many people don't so rehab fails.
People go to prison for a reason, and in many cases there is very little or nothing that anyone can do to change the choices they will make in the future. Rehabilitation programs are not for every prisoner, and we should not waste money on those who lack motivation. But it would be foolish not to help those who wish to change. Effective rehabilitation and reentry programs that help offenders go home to stay are good for them, and good for the rest of us, too.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Lucky you!
But not everyone is so lucky, some people are simply at greater risk of becoming offenders because of the circumstances into which they are born, or opportunities they were given.
Judge much? You know absolutely nothing about me! According to the lovely government statistics, I should have become a drug addicted, alcoholic, homeless teenage runaway/prostitute, but I didn't! Life is all about choices. Everyone chooses their path. If you choose a life of crime, that's on 100% on you. No one is forced into a life of crime.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
People go to prison for a reason, and in many cases there is very little or nothing that anyone can do to change the choices they will make in the future. Rehabilitation programs are not for every prisoner, and we should not waste money on those who lack motivation. But it would be foolish not to help those who wish to change. Effective rehabilitation and reentry programs that help offenders go home to stay are good for them, and good for the rest of us, too.
If one wants to change, it's up to them to change. It is NOT up to taxpayers to keep footing the bill for their choices. Stop committing crimes or never commit one in the first place! It's really simple. We're not talking rocket science here.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Even if prison labor was eliminated altogether there is no guarentee and imho very little likelihood those jobs (manufacturing at least) would remain in the U.S anyway.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,844 times
the declaration of independence, louisiana purchase, thirteenth amendment, civil war, emancipation proclamation, women's right to vote, minimum wage, executive order 9981, brown v board of education, states abolishing capital punishment, roe v wade

The world was supposed to end if any one of these got instituted. No more prison slave labor? I think we could manage it ok.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Judge much? You know absolutely nothing about me! According to the lovely government statistics, I should have become a drug addicted, alcoholic, homeless teenage runaway/prostitute, but I didn't! Life is all about choices. Everyone chooses their path. If you choose a life of crime, that's on 100% on you. No one is forced into a life of crime.
The topic of "free will" is a philosophical issue which has been debated for thousands of years. Regardless of your take on this issue, it is a detraction from the point that some people have committed crimes and they have some level of rights as well that must be recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates