Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio this morning that a somewhat local to me, award winning high school marching band has been invited to march for Trumps inauguration but the sore loser people in charge are saying no and not allowing the band to travel to DC.

The only thing I could find online is that the band leader submitted the application and is still waiting to see if the band is accepted.

The way I see America has just elected it's 45th President and it would be an honor and an experience that those kids would remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine traveling to DC and marching for a new President in a parade.

Is it wrong for the parents and faculty to deny the kids such an experience just because they don't like the new Presidents policies?

What are they teaching here?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
the other question to the side of that coin if you find trump repulsive for his mocking the disabled, his vile comments about women. his disrespect for a POW, his bigotry towards people based on their race or religion. then yes you do not send your kids to honor a man you find repulsive.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the other question to the side of that coin if you find trump repulsive for his mocking the disabled, his vile comments about women. his disrespect for a POW, his bigotry towards people based on their race or religion. then yes you do not send your kids to honor a man you find repulsive.
...and unfortunately his being elected president erases none of that. Perhaps he will prove to be a respectable and honorable president, but that possible Trump will only have the chance to appear after the inauguration. In the meantime, this is not a guy that kids should be honoring.

It's not about "sore losers," it's about the man's abominable behavior and foul mouth.

Last edited by kevxu; 12-22-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
There will be many who boycott the inauguration and some who do attend will do so only to burn flags and throw eggs.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
There will be many who boycott the inauguration and some who do attend will do so only to burn flags and throw eggs.
Well, in the first case there is no obligation to attend a presidential inauguration, and I cannot believe that the affair will lack for participants or watchers.

As for burn flags and throw eggs that's more than a bit premature.

Rest easy, why would a goodly number of his millions of supporters not be there?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,017,738 times
This will not be a celebratory event. And half the subway system is apt to be closed for repairs. Getting there will not be half the fun.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that a somewhat local to me, award winning high school marching band has been invited to march for Trumps inauguration but the sore loser people in charge are saying no and not allowing the band to travel to DC.

The only thing I could find online is that the band leader submitted the application and is still waiting to see if the band is accepted.

The way I see America has just elected it's 45th President and it would be an honor and an experience that those kids would remember for the rest of their lives. Imagine traveling to DC and marching for a new President in a parade.

Is it wrong for the parents and faculty to deny the kids such an experience just because they don't like the new Presidents policies?

What are they teaching here?
Well some might argue they don't won't to expose their kids to a vile, despicable human being and his barking trained seals.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Well some might argue they don't won't to expose their kids to a vile, despicable human being and his barking trained seals.
That's the way I see it. I wouldn't let my younger children watch the debates or any of his speeches. I don't want them thinking Trump's words, tone, attitude, or behavior is acceptable.

They won't watch (much less attend) his inauguration.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:30 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
...and unfortunately his being elected president erases none of that. Perhaps he will prove to be a respectable and honorable president, but that possible Trump will only have the chance to appear after the inauguration. In the meantime, this is not a guy that kids should be honoring.

It's not about "sore losers," it's about the man's abominable behavior and foul mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
That's the way I see it. I wouldn't let my younger children watch the debates or any of his speeches. I don't want them thinking Trump's words, tone, attitude, or behavior is acceptable.

They won't watch (much less attend) his inauguration.
Two questions.
Do any of you or your kids watch current TV shows or movies?
Have any of you listen to highschool kids' conversations when they think adults aren't listening.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I am going to try and write this in as balanced a fashion as I can.

Trump doesn't enjoy the popularity that other presidents before him have. He takes office with 3 million fewer votes than his opponent did. George W. Bush had fewer votes than Al Gore did in 2000. However, Bush only lost by 500,000 votes. Additionally, he was a more conciliatory person who didn't continually demean his opponents. As others have pointed out here, Trump repeatedly acted in a crude and vulgar manner during his campaign. There were parents who complained to television stations about his language and demeanor because they didn't want their children exposed to it. He called women derogatory names. He made fun of a disabled person. He made comments about a Muslim woman that could only be described as based on prejudice. Than there is the "Access Hollywood tape" which is probably the most vulgar statement that can ever be linked directly to a presidential candidate.

Entertainers are refusing to come to his inauguration. It doesn't surprise me that some marching bands which are full of young people from 15 to 18 years of age might refuse to attend at all.

Finally, Trump has talked about "bringing this country together". His actions do not show it. His cabinet so far, does not contain one democrat or person from the opposing political party. This is not true of presidents in the past. George W. Bush named Norm Mineta, a democrat congressman, as his Secretary of Transportation. So far, we see no attempt to reach across the aisle.

This is not an event many of us are going to be proud of. Perhaps, marching bands can be found from areas where Trump is popular.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-22-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.