Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
except the half of the planet that doesnt have access to lte wireless coverage in sub-sahara; or free wifi at the starbucks in bangladesh; ...
Sub-Saharan Africa doesn't contain half of the worlds population. It has about a sixth of the world population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Sub-Saharan Africa doesn't contain half of the worlds population. It has about a sixth of the world population.
Yes, you're correct. He gave an incorrect fact. But he still has an important that was made.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Internet penetration rates, sub-Sahara & Bangladesh

Quote:
except the half of the planet that doesnt have access to lte wireless coverage in sub-sahara; or free wifi at the starbucks in bangladesh; ...
Yah. See 85% mobile subscription penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa - ITWeb Africa

"85% mobile subscription penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa

Parent Category: Mobile "Published on 16 November 2016
By Chris Tredger

"A market dominated by youth, more affordable smartphones, growth in cellular Internet of Things (IoT) connections is driving the growth in mobile subscription penetration rates (in reference to all connected mobile devices) in Sub-Saharan Africa.

"This is according to the Ericsson 2016 Global Mobility Report announced at this year's AfricaCom hosted in Cape Town.

"Research by the firm suggests that there were 84 million new mobile subscriptions globally in Q3 2016, with 15m added in Africa. By the end of 2016, there will be 3.9 billion smartphone subscriptions globally.

"The continent has a subscription penetration (percent of population) of 82%, but this figure is expected to reach 100% by 2021 and 105% by 2022, with over 1 billion mobile subscriptions."

(My emphasis - more detail @ the URL)

Bangladesh's situation is dicey. The Internet arrived late there, there are bandwidth problems, & Internet is mostly urban - phone infrastructure. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ers_.28LSPs.29 for an overview.

But if the sources are good, then 86% of the 1/6 of the World's population (in sub-Sahara Africa) already has access to the Internet. Surely this is a good thing?

Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. See 85% mobile subscription penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa - ITWeb Africa

"85% mobile subscription penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa

Parent Category: Mobile "Published on 16 November 2016
By Chris Tredger

"A market dominated by youth, more affordable smartphones, growth in cellular Internet of Things (IoT) connections is driving the growth in mobile subscription penetration rates (in reference to all connected mobile devices) in Sub-Saharan Africa.

"This is according to the Ericsson 2016 Global Mobility Report announced at this year's AfricaCom hosted in Cape Town.

"Research by the firm suggests that there were 84 million new mobile subscriptions globally in Q3 2016, with 15m added in Africa. By the end of 2016, there will be 3.9 billion smartphone subscriptions globally.

"The continent has a subscription penetration (percent of population) of 82%, but this figure is expected to reach 100% by 2021 and 105% by 2022, with over 1 billion mobile subscriptions."

(My emphasis - more detail @ the URL)

Bangladesh's situation is dicey. The Internet arrived late there, there are bandwidth problems, & Internet is mostly urban - phone infrastructure. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ers_.28LSPs.29 for an overview.

But if the sources are good, then 86% of the 1/6 of the World's population (in sub-Sahara Africa) already has access to the Internet. Surely this is a good thing?
But let's stop and think about this for a while.

I can't speak about Africa. But I can speak a bit about Thailand, having lived there. You can sure get the internet there. But please don't think that the wealth of information we have in English on the internet is at all matched with most other languages in the world. Not comparable at all.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default It's all Greek to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But let's stop and think about this for a while.

I can't speak about Africa. But I can speak a bit about Thailand, having lived there. You can sure get the internet there. But please don't think that the wealth of information we have in English on the internet is at all matched with most other languages in the world. Not comparable at all.
Yep. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand#Language - which notes under Languages:

"English is a mandatory school subject, but the number of fluent speakers remains low, especially outside cities."

Other sources note that the Thai elites tend to speak English. So - the people with presumably the means to benefit from English Internet entries in Thailand probably can do so. People in the cities - who probably attended more school than people in the rural areas - can likely read English. The question of language facility may be a wash, of course - if someone has written a module for translating foreign languages into one of the major dialects of Thai. Even better, if someone has written a module for translating & speaking Thai from English (or whatever source, really).

Yah, it's a baby steps kinda situation. But Thailand benefits from being able to put up wireless cell phones, Internet, apps & so forth (low maintenance, you don't have to put up networks of copper wire, poles, get right of way & on & on, & have a workforce to monitor & repair lines ...)

There are print media in English in Thailand - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_...nguage_dailies - they operate under possible censorship, so press freedom is not guaranteed. If the English print media grow their audiences, the use of English may spread beyond the elites & large businesses there.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
i also mentioned bangladesh (which is in asia); and used elipsis (...) to indicate the hundreds more tribes, villiges, nations, countries, regions, ... that would take to long to name.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Yep. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand#Language - which notes under Languages:

"English is a mandatory school subject, but the number of fluent speakers remains low, especially outside cities."

Other sources note that the Thai elites tend to speak English. So - the people with presumably the means to benefit from English Internet entries in Thailand probably can do so. People in the cities - who probably attended more school than people in the rural areas - can likely read English. The question of language facility may be a wash, of course - if someone has written a module for translating foreign languages into one of the major dialects of Thai. Even better, if someone has written a module for translating & speaking Thai from English (or whatever source, really).

Yah, it's a baby steps kinda situation. But Thailand benefits from being able to put up wireless cell phones, Internet, apps & so forth (low maintenance, you don't have to put up networks of copper wire, poles, get right of way & on & on, & have a workforce to monitor & repair lines ...)

There are print media in English in Thailand - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_...nguage_dailies - they operate under possible censorship, so press freedom is not guaranteed. If the English print media grow their audiences, the use of English may spread beyond the elites & large businesses there.
Just because it is a mandatory class doesn't mean people are fluent. In this country a second language is required in most schools, usually Spanish. Do you think most Americans are fluent in Spanish?

Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
i also mentioned bangladesh (which is in asia); and used elipsis (...) to indicate the hundreds more tribes, villiges, nations, countries, regions, ... that would take to long to name.
What's your point? Are you saying that you didn't say what is highlighted below? It's not that big of a deal, but you DID say that half the planet was in sub-Saharan Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888

Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
What's your point? Are you saying that you didn't say what is highlighted below? It's not that big of a deal, but you DID say that half the planet was in sub-Saharan Africa.

[/i]
good point. what I wrote was ambiguous grammar; what I meant is that half the world in places such as sub-sahara, bangladesh, ... dont have adequate internet coverage.

my premise is wrong anyways because southwest posted stats that shows most improvised nations do have high-speed wireless internet coverage.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:

My best friend in Thailand had B.S. and M.S. degrees from Thailand's best university. One summer when I was there he was working on his dissertation on mangrove swamps. I happened to have a degree is geology, with a background in hydrology. He would bring these English books that he was using in his research, and I had to translate so much for him even though you would say he was fluent in English.

In Bangkok, many can use English...note I said "use". Effectiveness is another matter. In the rest of the country much more limited. For example, one day in a fast food restaurant a Thai fellow indicated he had wanted to sit at my table. Sure. Through some tough communication by hand gestures and drawing things on napkins we learned quite a bit about each other. He had just graduated from teacher college! Not one word of English.

As an addendum, a humorous anecdote. I was touring some schools in Bangkok, and one principal asked me to do some Q/A sessions in some classes of what we would call 6th grade so that the students could practice their English. Sounded like fun...and it was. Charming. Almost all the question were textbook type questions. Do you like pizza? My name is Thuy; what is your name? Etc. They were doing fairly well. I called on one boy and he said, "Do you like Thai women?" Dead silence until the principal burst out laughing. Then the whole class had a long laugh. (BTW, my safe answer was, "Thai women are very beautiful").

Last edited by phetaroi; 01-23-2017 at 03:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates