Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:02 PM

981 posts, read 899,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, there is scientific evidence that alcohol is worse than meth, here you go:

Experts: Alcohol More Harmful Than Crack or Heroin

https://sobernation.com/3-reasons-wh...angerous-drug/
Totally agree with this, the damage to society through domestic violence, job loss, addiction, etc. is far worse with alcohol than any other drug. Talk about the ultimate gateway drug, without the hard data at hand, I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that every addict drank alcohol before any other drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
and yet we have criminals in jails who injected the lethal dose into a young person.
So there is that to contend with. Sorry but I see very little good in this style of "pleasure" seeking, Numbness.

why not allow anti biotics to be over the counter.... Why not allow healing drugs to be more prevaliant , but instead we (as a nation) say ...ohh let the kid smoke pot...or shoot up. Its not hurting anyone.
My answer to this is simple. Keep banning it and keep out of the closed mindedness of thinking its "ok" just because you are alive to tell a story.

Back in junior high I recall our teacher discussing legalizing certain "street" drugs. I never thought as a nation we would consent to this...but here we are...a nation selling drugs to keep the zombies at bay and the economy going. Best way to control a nation is to feed its peoples drugs....well done folks.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
First of all, here is my stance on the drug war. I think marijuana is a relatively harmless drug that should be legal. It's less addictive than alcohol and tobacco and it's popularity helps keep the drug cartels in business. Legalizing marijuana nationwide would be a huge blow to the black market. This also could have a side-effect of making harder, more dangerous drugs less available. One of the ways that marijuana actually is a "gateway drug" is that people go to their dealers for weed and sometimes are offered harder stuff. This wouldn't happen in a society with legal marijuana. Studies also show that teen marijuana use is dropping in legal states, which makes sense being that dealers will sell it to anyone while to get it legal you have to be 21 years of age or older.

However, I don't think the same approach that is best for marijuana should be applied to cocaine, heroine, or meth. These drugs, especially heroine and meth, have a much greater potential for dependence and to destroy a person's life than marijuana. Like marijuana however, prohibition doesn't work and these drugs are still widely available despite their illegality. Education doesn't work either as kids are taught in elementary school the dangers of these drugs yet so many still try them anyways. With meth in particular, it's game over for many even after one use. If there is any drug that absolutely should be eradicated, it's meth.

I don't think the current approach is working however. Going after users and treating them as criminals doesn't do anybody any good. Addicts to drugs like meth and heroin are actually victims. They took the bait and fell for a false promise that has whittled away at their entire lives. Instead of being thrown in overcrowded jails, users of these drugs should be helped to get off the drug and re-assimilated into productive society. The current policy of jail time followed by a felony offense that makes them unemployable seems to almost encourage addicts to return to the pipe once they get out of prison. At the same time, you cannot legalize and regulate these drugs because they are too dangerous. They must be kept out of the hands of as many people as possible until they are completely eradicated.

What do you think is the best means to solve this problem?
Good parenting

Old 01-15-2017, 11:17 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Is it pleasure that people are against?
What people are against is buying drugs from organized crime. When you pay them money for drugs, that money is available to grow their enterprise. They can buy more guns to murder more innocent people, as one of many examples of the kinds of crime you support when you buy illegal drugs.

The fact that people are willing to support such crime marks those people as undesirable. We don't need to rehabilitate them, because they will still have criminal attitudes even if they stop using drugs. We need an efficient way to keep them isolated from the civilized world forever. A concentration camp in the desert might be a lot cheaper than prison. It should be designed to keep them from escaping, but with rock bottom costs. Their food should be the cheapest possible, and they should be required to work hard for their keep. And they should never get out. At some point we have to stop being soft on crime, by keeping criminals confined forever.

Making drugs legal is a whole different discussion, unrelated to the depraved criminals we have now. Even if drugs become legal, our present drug criminals should still remain confined forever. Because they aren't just drug addicts, but also have criminal attitudes which support organized crime. Their depraved crime is not that they do drugs, but that they buy illegal drugs. There is a vast difference between those two.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:28 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Totally agree with this, the damage to society through domestic violence, job loss, addiction, etc. is far worse with alcohol than any other drug. Talk about the ultimate gateway drug, without the hard data at hand, I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that every addict drank alcohol before any other drug.
You can't compare alcohol with heroin. What dosage would you compare? For any particular amount of alcohol, there is an amount of heroin that would do more harm. And vice versa.

If you're comparing the overall harm of all the alcohol being consumed with all the heroin being consumed, that's a silly comparison too, because, obviously, many times more alcohol is being consumed than heroin.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 PM
eok

Quote:
War on Organized Crime? I didn't know there was such a thing. It's more about supply and demand.
Good point. I forgot that we're in a partnership with organized crime, and spend our time helping it grow.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:37 PM
eok

Quote:
You'd have to line up and execute a LOT of doctors, pharmacists, sales people and others who have pushed the pills - which EVERY study agrees has caused the current heroin problem(s).
Nonsense. We don't line people up to execute them. We give them fair trials first. We have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that they deliberately attempted to buy or sell illegal drugs. Besides that, we shouldn't be executing people. We should put them in a big concentration camp in the desert, keep them there forever, feed them the cheapest food possible, and make them work hard for their keep.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
In the past, then countries who are now considered industrialized nations stopped this practice while some third world countries still engage in it.
That's no excuse to support organized crime.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
I don't think drugs are that big of a problem -just keep doing the education at school thing, and decriminalise all drugs.

As long as is there no decriminalization of drugs, then alcohol should be illegal as well. The hypocrisy surrounding it is astounding-if there is one drug that has the potential to kill a first time user, or make a first time user violent, it's alcohol.

If alcohol is to remain legal while other drugs aren't, then all lawmakers and law enforcement must be banned from it's use - drug users are drug users, and the law should always act to avoid hypocrisy.

People I know that use meth, do it to get around workplace drug testing, with pot being the primary drug that lands people in hot water- testing should be more concerned with identifying drug use on the job, rather than making the unproven assumption that moderate use in private time is a liability in work time.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think marijuana is a relatively harmless drug that should be legal.

Every pothead I have worked with has been a blithering idiot whose -eff-ups I have to handle. So no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates