Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times

Advertisements

I came across this article the other day: Mother and son are becoming father and daughter | New York Post

It got me thinking about how many people still aren't very accepting of transgender people. I've read the comments people make about transgender people on various articles and CD posts, and few of them are positive. Why do you think that many people are still so intolerant of transgender individuals? It seems that most people are accepting of gay people now, but not transgender..

Is it because transitioning into the opposite sex is still too bizarre to comprehend? Do you think transgender people just have a form of body dysmorphia and need to see a therapist? Do you believe you really can be born in the wrong body?

I myself don't know too much about transgender people... I will admit that I do find it very strange and am not sure if it should be considered a mental illness or not. But I don't go as far as calling them freaks like many other people seem to do..

Share your thoughts please..

Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I don't care what someone else does as long as they aren't hurting others. So even if I find something strange or hard to understand, I can accept it in others under those circumstances and not pay much attention.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Many people are insecure in their own sexuality or fear that others view them as less than meeting some phony social standard. These people tend to lash out as a means of display.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I came across this article the other day: Mother and son are becoming father and daughter | New York Post

It got me thinking about how many people still aren't very accepting of transgender peoplbe. I've read the comments people make about transgender people on various articles and CD posts, and few of them are positive. Why do you think that many people are still so intolerant of transgender individuals? It seems that most people are accepting of gay people now, but not transgender..

Is it because transitioning into the opposite sex is still too bizarre to comprehend? Do you think transgender people just have a form of body dysmorphia and need to see a therapist? Do you believe you really can be born in the wrong body?

I myself don't know too much about transgender people... I will admit that I do find it very strange and am not sure if it should be considered a mental illness or not. But I don't go as far as calling them freaks like many other people seem to do..

For me, the answers to your questions, at this point in my life, and until I am convinced otherwise, are yes, maybe, no.

I think about the fact that humans have lived on this earth for thousands of years without surgeons chopping off male or female body parts, so it's hard to believe that such a surgery is necessary. If I wanted a surgeon to remove an arm or some toes or half of my face, for whatever reason, people would think I was pretty crazy. It seems crazy to me that surgeons would actually remove a person's breasts or penis just because they don't feel like those parts should be part of them.

If I ever meet someone who is transgender, I won't treat them hatefully. I'd probably enjoy talking with them and trying to learn more about them. But I doubt that I would ever grasp or accept as valid that they aren't the sex or gender they were born as. (And I say "sex or gender" because most of my life those two words meant the same thing, until the more "open-minded" or politically correct people began "educating" us old curmudgeons that they are actually two different things. I'm not convinced. I think one's sex can definitely be different from their masculinity versus feminism, but that is quite different than saying a person with a vagina and XX chromosomes can be of the male gender).

If a born-female-but-wants-to-be-a-male person wants to dress and do masculine things, just do it. I fully support anyone's right to live as they wish. But I probably won't ever be convinced that person IS a man. It would feel like I was pretending to go along with that person's make-believe fantasy. In fact, it seems so obviously make-believe to me, that I can't even believe this topic is in the news and everywhere. I don't get why we don't just embrace masculine women and feminine men, and why they don't embrace themselves as they are, without all the "transgender stuff" like chopping off body parts and changing names from Bruce to Kaitlin.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I don't "get" transgenderism.

But I also don't get why people have to be concerned with other people's sexuality.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
If I decided that I am really a legless person that was born into a body with legs, would a doctor amputate my healthy legs?

Seriously asking

Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
I think we're more disgusted with how everyone and the media has to jam it down our throats when someone does it.

Okay. Are we supposed to care?

I took a dump this morning, should the whole world know?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
My thought is that, as a cisgender person, I am in absolutely no position to judge or conclude anything regarding the transgender experience.

Personally, I think that if people actually bothered to educate themselves just a bit, there'd be way less negativity abounding. But, alas, that requires people to actually admit that their "beliefs" might just be way off the mark.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I think we're more disgusted with how everyone and the media has to jam it down our throats when someone does it.

Okay. Are we supposed to care?

I took a dump this morning, should the whole world know?
If you actually gave a crap about basic human rights and overall respect for your fellow human beings, yes, you would care.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
If you actually gave a crap about basic human rights and overall respect for your fellow human beings, yes, you would care.
Nope, not overall. Overall respect would mean you wouldn't want a person with man parts to be in a public restroom with a woman. Giving a crap about basic human rights means you wouldn't want a young boy that is experimenting as a woman, but still has all the hormones and parts of a man, to share a locker room with young girls. But I get it - transgenders deserve more respect than women in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates