Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times

Advertisements

Progress. It is one of the animating concepts of the modern era. From the Enlightenment onwards, the West has had an enduring belief that through the evolution of institutions, innovations, and ideas, the human condition is improving. This idea of progress is supposedly the driving force behind new technologies, individual freedoms, globalization, etc. But, as we progress, we should ask this. Is progress inevitable? Critics will say that humans haven't progressed, simply that we've changed. That we are different, not better. What's seen as a human breakthrough or innovation can also be seen as a setback by others. The arguement is that progress is an idea, not an inevitable fact, and that the world is going (and humans) are going in the wrong direction...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
Progress is definitely not inevitable. Of course anyone can make an argument that we haven't progressed but just changed. That's where the definition of "progress" comes into play. To me progress is basically a better standard of living for more people around the world. I know that's an awfully vague definition but things like life expectancy, death rates from various diseases, access to clean water and food, etc. would be measure of progress. I do think we're headed in the right direction, though of course there are many hiccups along the way. Progress isn't a straight line. For every 3 steps forward there can be 2 steps back but over time we are progressing. I think this will continue in the future but of course there are no guarantees.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Progress. It is one of the animating concepts of the modern era. From the Enlightenment onwards, the West has had an enduring belief that through the evolution of institutions, innovations, and ideas, the human condition is improving. This idea of progress is supposedly the driving force behind new technologies, individual freedoms, globalization, etc. But, as we progress, we should ask this. Is progress inevitable? Critics will say that humans haven't progressed, simply that we've changed. That we are different, not better. What's seen as a human breakthrough or innovation can also be seen as a setback by others. The arguement is that progress is an idea, not an inevitable fact, and that the world is going (and humans) are going in the wrong direction...
The Enlightenment and more contemporary philosophers hadn't anticipated the rise of corporations, and their control over various aspects of life that are to the detriment of the common good, and, ultimately, human survival on the planet.
Oops. Their bad.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:32 PM

331 posts, read 316,144 times
When I was 40, I said I was glad I was 40 and not 4. When I was 50, I said I was glad I was 50 and not 5. At 67, I say I am glad I'm 67 and not 6.7. Humanity's best days are in the rearview mirror. If the world is a place anyone wants to be in 100 years, I'd be very surprised. If the planet is still populated by humans in 200 years, I'd be astounded. I don't think I'm a pessimist; I think I'm a realist.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,338,888 times
The future being Good or Bad is all about perspective, your goals and where you are in life and where you plan to be in life and and if you can adpat to changing world.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:14 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,913 times
I believe we are in the last century of humanity, which is more than we deserve.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
When I was 40, I said I was glad I was 40 and not 4. When I was 50, I said I was glad I was 50 and not 5. At 67, I say I am glad I'm 67 and not 6.7. Humanity's best days are in the rearview mirror. If the world is a place anyone wants to be in 100 years, I'd be very surprised. If the planet is still populated by humans in 200 years, I'd be astounded. I don't think I'm a pessimist; I think I'm a realist.
I'm with Troglodyte. Glad to have lived in the era I have and pity those who will follow. The human race has managed to send the entire planet off on a huge tilt a wheel ride that is now only just beginning. Everyday 100's more species go extinct and biologists tell us that we are facing one of the greatest mass extinction events in the history of life on this planet. Progress is not inevitable - just ask the trilobites or the dinosaurs. Modern man has been around a lousy 200,000 years or so if that. Much of this time was spent in a hunter gatherer type existence. If our species is around 300 years from now, we'll be hunter gathers again.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:40 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,327,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
"Progress" doesn't necessarily mean overall better lives for most people when the good and bad are both taken into account. IMO, the computer revolution started too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
Any reasons why people won't want to be here in 100 years? Reasons people may not exist on earth in 200 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I believe we are in the last century of humanity, which is more than we deserve.
Any reasons/ideas for that?

Old 05-28-2017, 02:11 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Any reasons/ideas for that?
If we continue to poison the well in the name of bettering ourselves rather than acting in the planet's best interests, it won't be long before the earth rejects us like the cancer we've always been.

Whether or not humans are entirely responsible for climate change and the damage to the ozone layer, I have no doubt we've made a significant contribution to it. Any attempts to address that situation and minimise any further damage have been exploited for financial or political ends and ultimately achieved flip all. We are racing towards an apocalypse of our own creation and seem determined to carry on with business as usual while we leave the next generation to clean up our mess.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
To progress is essentially to move on in a forward direction, it says nothing about whether one stumbles over a cliff or comes upon a pot of gold.

The noun progress has become nothing more than a kind of verbal bling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates