Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of hate for the welfare society but I think it's beneficial for the educated/ambitious to have a "weaker" class of people. Yes, we pay for their food and housing but we are helped by the fact that there's less competition for jobs, upscale housing and even romantic partners. The money you pay is minimal to have less people vying for your lifestyle
Do you think A- the country would be better off with everyone being educated and in the work force
B- your personal situation would be better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
The assumption here is that more education and ambition amongst others would predispose you to less.

What if it opened more opportunities because thinking developed beyond pre-conceived current ideas?

What would it look like if education and safety were provided to all citizens?

Perhaps more flourishing for everyone.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
"What everyone sees as 'beautiful' is, by definition, ugly." (anonymous)

For openers, the value of a baccalaureate degree, and its perception, varies greatly under the circumstances under which it's obtained , and while I have recognized for many years that it enhances the appreciation of daily life for most of us, that viewpoint doesn't immediately set in upon graduation -- and would probably be less prevalent and/or would be accepted later in life in an "over-sophisticated" society. And as we should all be able to recognize this, given both the apparent detachment and arrogance of the current occupant of the White House and the childish, irrational hostility among many of his opposition.

Allow me to offer a better example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-15-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM

^^^ you think so? Maybe, but more jobs would have to be created. You can't say crime would disappear bc many people who are productive members of society have bad kids. The value of money would change. There would still be a lower class who would be treated poorly by higher earners. Taxes wouldn't necessarily go down bc you'd need much more infrastructure, etc.
I'm not committed to any POV but I think it's interesting bc many people have a kick the dog mentality and I think they'd just find a new dog.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
The short answer is that it would be unrealistic. For starters everyone having a Masters degree would devalue the degree. As much as it pains me to say it in a Capitalistic system there must be an under class, not so much to live on welfare but to do the menial grunt work that educated professionals will not do. These menial jobs aren't glamorous or high paying but are important in helping society function.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The short answer is that it would be unrealistic. For starters everyone having a Masters degree would devalue the degree. As much as it pains me to say it in a Capitalistic system there must be an under class, not so much to live on welfare but to do the menial grunt work that educated professionals will not do. These menial jobs aren't glamorous or high paying but are important in helping society function.
I agree. Even things like welfare and crime keeps many people employed in jobs that pay enough to raise a family. Police, social workers, parole officers, courthouse workers, etc. In a capitalist system, the welfare state seems to provide more in the way of employment than one would think.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
70% of the country has no college degree.

Who do you suppose is actually going to do WORK?

Like...um...building stuff, fixing stuff, making stuff, selling stuff.

The elitist attitudes are hilarious (not really). Grunt and menial jobs are all that exist outside of people with a bachelor's degree, and therefore those people are substandard.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I notice a lot of hate for the welfare society but I think it's beneficial for the educated/ambitious to have a "weaker" class of people. Yes, we pay for their food and housing but we are helped by the fact that there's less competition for jobs, upscale housing and even romantic partners. The money you pay is minimal to have less people vying for your lifestyle
Do you think A- the country would be better off with everyone being educated and in the work force
B- your personal situation would be better
WHAT are you even talking about?

Conflating welfare recipients to everyone else who doesn't have a bachelors degree?

What planet are YOU "studying"?

Whatever your liberal Progressive education...they and your parents failed you tremendously.

Talk about an individual who is totally CLUELESS about what jobs exist and what they "pay".

70% of Americans have no college degree.

We won't even MENTION small business - which happens to be 80% of the business in America.

BTW it's" FEWER" people not "LESS" people. Basic ENGLISH COMP 101.

Do you know any FLESH AND BLOOD people? Plumbers aren't "ambitious"????

OMG seriously. Also HILARIOUS that you're stating a bachelors degree means you're "ambitious". Look around. Starting with Millennials. Or the Work and Employment forum.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There are people who are on welfare that are happy with it and they have no plans to get off it. Where is the incentive to get a job then be forced to pay your own bills. It is not easy.

Not everyone benefits from a college education. It does not ensure a better higher paying job.

We already have enough "scholars" that sit around and talk about the problems of the world and how unfair it is.
We need more people that will do and not just think.

College is not for everyone.

Of course we would be better off if everyone was working.
I would be better off because my business depends on people with disposable income.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
WHAT are you even talking about?

Conflating welfare recipients to everyone else who doesn't have a bachelors degree?

What planet are YOU "studying"?

Whatever your liberal Progressive education...they and your parents failed you tremendously.

Talk about an individual who is totally CLUELESS about what jobs exist and what they "pay".

70% of Americans have no college degree.

We won't even MENTION small business - which happens to be 80% of the business in America.

BTW it's" FEWER" people not "LESS" people. Basic ENGLISH COMP 101.

Do you know any FLESH AND BLOOD people? Plumbers aren't "ambitious"????

OMG seriously. Also HILARIOUS that you're stating a bachelors degree means you're "ambitious". Look around. Starting with Millennials. Or the Work and Employment forum.
Huh? Why are you so angry? Get a grip.
I could care less about whether people have a degree or not. I was just wondering what the outcome would be if the things that many people complain about were erased. The forums are full of hate for welfare recipients. They are full of snark for people not earning X amount.
But you're right about my parents failing me. My mom dumped me with my grandma to be with her (ex) husband and my dad abandoned me until adulthood. So thanks for reminding me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates