Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 AM

983 posts, read 738,030 times

Advertisements

By that I mean, what if the U.S were to:

A. Close every foreign base it has.
B. Recall every American abroad home.
C. Have no spies/intelligence agencies in any foreign countries.
D. Drastically cut down it's military force and subsequent spending to merely coastal defense.
E. Fully and completely dismantling every nuke it has.

So, basically, the U.S would truly not be as others say an Empire and instead solely focus on itself not getting involved in any way shape or form with anything pas the U.S borders.

Do you think that it would be best for both the U.S and the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
I think we should start by cutting the Security State (all of the above) by 40 or 50%. There is not really a big difference between having 2,000 nukes or 8,000.

Intelligence, tho, is important. You need to know what is going on in the world and in this country.

But it's not going to happen. This kind of money and policy is self-sustaining (somewhat like medicine) and so much money is involved that Reason and Logic are thrown out the window. Think of the jobs...that's what they will say. They will also say that making more enemies (which is what our current fighting does) keeps you safe. This is even when the odds of you being killed by a terrorists are so low as to hardly be measurable.

At the same time, when the proliferation of guns kills thousands (or school kids in bulk), they will say little or nothing - those deaths don't matter because they are profitable (sales of guns, ammo, accessories).

Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Whether or not it would be best for both USA and the world is moot. The genie has been out of the bottle for a long time and it's not motivated or willing to be put back in.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
The powers that be behind the curtian like to keep the economy in a limbo state as make it easier to fill the ranks of the military with desperate people in order to continue said activities. Our society is incrediby complex made so by the puppet masters.

Our military is not like some of the best european nations, there are folks on the military sub forum who dislike, I think it was belgums, military because they, gasp, get to choose what deployments they particiate in, and I think that choice is made at relativly low ranks. Most nations militaries dont send people into hell holes for oil away from their wives for over a year at a time.

The claim its to protect america and our freedom, when in actuality its not clear if this involvement is making us more or less financially free.

If I had to guess 80% of military members tolerate it because they need to get paid, need the training, college, pension what have you. There is probably a very small sliver who just want to go over and legally kill people because they are a few sandwiches shy of a picknic and managed to hold it together enough in civilian life to not have any felonys.

If we had a thriving economy it would greatly hurt the military and the only people in a recruiters office woudl be demanding to do something cool like fly F-22's (contracted in stone specificly the F-22 airframe) or they would simply walk out and go to their good paying awesome job. But when you have a mc-economy you can get people to sign open ended contracts where the military has tons of discression as to where you go, "to meet the needs of the military".

Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think we should start by cutting the Security State (all of the above) by 40 or 50%. There is not really a big difference between having 2,000 nukes or 8,000.

Intelligence, tho, is important. You need to know what is going on in the world and in this country.

But it's not going to happen. This kind of money and policy is self-sustaining (somewhat like medicine) and so much money is involved that Reason and Logic are thrown out the window. Think of the jobs...that's what they will say. They will also say that making more enemies (which is what our current fighting does) keeps you safe. This is even when the odds of you being killed by a terrorists are so low as to hardly be measurable.

At the same time, when the proliferation of guns kills thousands (or school kids in bulk), they will say little or nothing - those deaths don't matter because they are profitable (sales of guns, ammo, accessories).
Uh, the odds of being killed in a school shooting are about the same as being killed by an arab terrorist. I am assuming you are making a distinction between home grown terrorism and forign born terrorism because in reality both events are terrorism.

Although we have more responsibility as a socity for the homegrown type with the kid glove punishments we dole out on "minors" who are responsible for creating the school shooters. Treating high schoolers like their kids with little kid punishments is the biggest issue. If your doing this in high school your future should be on the line, kicked out of sports permenantly, scholarships pulled, black listed for 4 years from top tier universities or even just completely kicked out of high school. But thats another discussion.

Once a "kid" turns 14 the consequences need to start to hurt long term.

BTW good luck taking away peoples means to defend themselves, most people will retain fire arms even if they are made completely illegal. Most people will hide them and claim they were lost or stolen. People will import them on the black market or start black market maufacturing, etc.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:01 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The powers that be behind the curtian like to keep the economy in a limbo state as make it easier to fill the ranks of the military with desperate people in order to continue said activities. Our society is incrediby complex made so by the puppet masters.

Our military is not like some of the best european nations, there are folks on the military sub forum who dislike, I think it was belgums, military because they, gasp, get to choose what deployments they particiate in, and I think that choice is made at relativly low ranks. Most nations militaries dont send people into hell holes for oil away from their wives for over a year at a time.

The claim its to protect america and our freedom, when in actuality its not clear if this involvement is making us more or less financially free.

If I had to guess 80% of military members tolerate it because they need to get paid, need the training, college, pension what have you. There is probably a very small sliver who just want to go over and legally kill people because they are a few sandwiches shy of a picknic and managed to hold it together enough in civilian life to not have any felonys.

If we had a thriving economy it would greatly hurt the military and the only people in a recruiters office woudl be demanding to do something cool like fly F-22's (contracted in stone specificly the F-22 airframe) or they would simply walk out and go to their good paying awesome job. But when you have a mc-economy you can get people to sign open ended contracts where the military has tons of discression as to where you go, "to meet the needs of the military".
I know a fair number of people in the military, and I don't think one of them would agree with even one paragraph of your post. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's just that.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
By that I mean, what if the U.S were to:

A. Close every foreign base it has.
B. Recall every American abroad home.
C. Have no spies/intelligence agencies in any foreign countries.
D. Drastically cut down it's military force and subsequent spending to merely coastal defense.
E. Fully and completely dismantling every nuke it has.

So, basically, the U.S would truly not be as others say an Empire and instead solely focus on itself not getting involved in any way shape or form with anything pas the U.S borders.

Do you think that it would be best for both the U.S and the world?
If we do those things some one will move in and take our place. Do you want to live in a world with Russia or China taking the lead? How about Iran?

I'm not happy with many things we do and where we do them but I would like the alternative even less.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
We need to keep the bases that we have, pulling out will only make things worse.

Never disarm, we need to keep developing the next generation of planes, tanks, ships, etc. We need to keep ontop of cyber warfare and immigration. Terrorism is more than killing people it is taking away your freedom and sense of security. Living in NJ I see and here the attitude and immigrants dissing the US.

There will always be someone willing to take the lead if we fail. America first is maintaining our influence around the world not pulling out.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
NO, it is great when the USA can manipulate other countries to benefit us.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know a fair number of people in the military, and I don't think one of them would agree with even one paragraph of your post. You're entitled to your opinion, but it's just that.
Its not an opinion, its a fact that during the bush and part of obamas administration all of those back to back deployment beat up the military bad, there was huge attition and the miltiary got a black eye. No one (other than the guy that makes necklaces out of human ears) wants to go on 3 back to back deployments to the crappyest crap holes in the world unless your an unmarried eunch.

I know just as many people who hated their time in the miliary as you know ear neckless guys who reveled in going over there to shoot people and be away from family for inordinate amounts of time.

Those things happened they are not my opinion, just because a hand full of arlee's liked going over there for 3 years out of a 4 year hitch does not mean thats the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates