Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They spend lots of time in NYC and LA fundraising. And Hillary has her marital bliss home in Chappaqua, New York.
Please pay attention and read my posts, or skip over them. I specifically addressed where they campaigned. I made it clear I was not talking about fund raising, nor was I talking about where someone lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
It will never go to a popular vote because it would basically make campaigning in urban areas way too strong.

Hillary lost because she played the stereotypical Democrat card and only pandered to people in large cities such as Philly. That's exactly how it should work.

It's working as intended.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The United States of America is a democratic republic. It is not a a democracy.
Yes, and? If we were a true democracy we would vote on every law/legislation that exists in this country. Direct election of the president doesn't preclude being a "democratic republic."

Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 PM

34,998 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, and? If we were a true democracy we would vote on every law/legislation that exists in this country. Direct election of the president doesn't preclude being a "democratic republic."
Better than a democratic republic is a democratic peoples' republic, as in North Korea.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
hillary was talking about this yesterday on the blame circuit, how we need to do away with the electoral college. I never knew she was that damn unintelligent and uneducated.
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...oes-it-prevail

Gallup Vault: Rejecting the Electoral College

In Gallup polls from 1948-2013, the number of Americans supporting the EC ranged from 14-31%, divided fairly evenly across all political parties/spectrum. It's only recently that the EC issue has become politicized. In fact, DJT himself is on record as being opposed to the system:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...494082?lang=en

The real issue is people such as the quoted poster who insist on politicizing every issue. There are posters throughout this thread who have strong, well-formed arguments on both sides. Those people can be respected even if one disagrees; political trolls cannot.

The reality is that even 12-18 months ago, most Americans would have claimed to be against the EC system. The argument that the losers are just crying sour grapes is not valid. Most Americans have been against continuing the EC system, but until very recently, the system almost always mirrored the wishes of the majority of American voters. Hence, while one might have been against the EC, why wage a long campaign for a Constitutional amendment to change something which, for all intents and purposes, seemed to be simply a formality? However, with the increased frequency it has occurred those opposed to it now have a reason to work against it.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Blacks View Post
In MLB, World series. If Team A Wins 3 games, 10-0, but team B Wins 4 games 1-0: Team A scored 30 runs, and Team B scored 4 runs. Yet team B Wins (as it should). In the Super Bowl, Team A gains more yards than Team B, but Team B manages to score a late field goal to Win. Usually, the team that gains the most yards also Wins the game, but not ALWAYS. Its the points that matter in the end, not yards (EC votes, not popular votes).

Or in tennis, I Win the first set 6-0, but then lose the next 2 sets 6-4, 6-4. I actually Won 14 games to my opponent's 12. But I don't deserve to Win. He Does. Why? Because he Won the games that were most important.
Long story short, long live the EC!
The people that don't like it are the people in certain areas that don't want the interests of the entire country represented. If it wasn't for the EC all someone campaigning would have to do is neglect the vast majority of the U.S. and pander to a select few areas...e.g. pledge to increase the funding for roads and infrastructure for cities of over 500k people by 4X, etc. It would be even easier to essentially buy elections than it already is now.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:06 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The people that don't like it are the people in certain areas that don't want the interests of the entire country represented.
That's because the people in fly-over country are "deplorables."

Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 PM

34,998 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
The people in fly-over country don't vote the way they're supposed to.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...oes-it-prevail

Gallup Vault: Rejecting the Electoral College

In Gallup polls from 1948-2013, the number of Americans supporting the EC ranged from 14-31%, divided fairly evenly across all political parties/spectrum. It's only recently that the EC issue has become politicized. In fact, DJT himself is on record as being opposed to the system:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...494082?lang=en

The real issue is people such as the quoted poster who insist on politicizing every issue. There are posters throughout this thread who have strong, well-formed arguments on both sides. Those people can be respected even if one disagrees; political trolls cannot.

The reality is that even 12-18 months ago, most Americans would have claimed to be against the EC system. The argument that the losers are just crying sour grapes is not valid. Most Americans have been against continuing the EC system, but until very recently, the system almost always mirrored the wishes of the majority of American voters. Hence, while one might have been against the EC, why wage a long campaign for a Constitutional amendment to change something which, for all intents and purposes, seemed to be simply a formality? However, with the increased frequency it has occurred those opposed to it now have a reason to work against it.
Ah, yes, "MOST Americans"...
Then why hasn't there been a massive letter writing campaign to Congress demanding that a limited Constitutional Convention be called to change the EC system to direct vote? Could it be that "MOST Americans" actually do not want it changed, or is it because "MOST Americans" do not trust the government to only change the EC system and not change any other part of the Constitution (parts of the Bill Of Rights, perhaps?).
No, I do not want to give the current crop of politicians the authority to recommend changes to our Constitution. No, I do not trust any of them! Nor do I trust the "Activists" that are crying for change!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The people in fly-over country don't vote the way they're supposed to.
Those states are only worth like 4 EC votes anyway. Also a lot of states are at least partially flyover country..poor little Hillary still lost PA because the Philadelphia vote wasn't enough to save her.

The Dems rely too heavily on the big city / urban vote whereas back in the day the Democrats always won states like WV for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates