Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times

Advertisements

The minimum wage needs to catch up with and be indexed to inflation. Anyone willing to work full time should be able to afford a studio apartment, utilities, food, clothes, healthcare, and a bus pass. A minimum but decent existence. Employers should pay some sort of tax penalty for failing to provide healthcare/pensions. The revenue from these penalties should subsidize higher education.

We could cut the cost of healthcare tremendously right now if we forced all providers to compete by transparency in pricing. Have it all available on the internet so people could shop for what they need.

I always loved Ben and Jerry's business plan that said the CEO could not make more than 8X the salary of the lowest paid worker. And that should be all compensation of any kind. Makes sense to me.

Members of Congress should be limited to total and complete compensation of the average worker in the US. Same benefits and retirement too. The only way for them to get more money would be to help the workers make more money. We probably wouldn't need to worry about term limits anymore because they couldn't afford to spend a lifetime in office and maybe we would get some officials who actually wanted to represent the people. They have all sorts of bennies the average person knows nothing about like 1K per month for a car.

The only allowed political contributions should be personal and limited to $100 per person or corporation, per candidate, in their state. Fix it so big money can no longer OWN our representatives. The people need to own their representatives. Level the playing field!

I want Richey Rich to pay his share of taxes but I am not wanting to take his money and give it to Penny Poor. I just want Penny to have a fair chance to improve his lot in life. He will still have to work plenty hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
In a world where the “wealthy” become “richer” and the working class strive to get by, should there be a redistribution of wealth to put everyone on an equal footing?

Aren’t we just playing a game when we talk about “balancing budgets” and paying off “government debt”? After all, it’s not like we’re going to be wealthy in the event that this debt ever does get paid off.

Let’s wipe the debt clean, redistribute wealth equally and start over!
That sounds great! How much of your wealth are you giving up? Unless you live in a third world slum or some village in rural China, Africa, or India, you are going to be on the giving side of this equation, not the receiving side.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:26 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
There's no "fair" way to redistribute wealth. What we can do though, is make future taxation fairer.

The truly wealthy benefit by having their assets invested, and their maximum long term capital gains tax will be 20%. Now, I am upper middle class, but I pay a higher percentage of taxes than they do. Even after this new tax bill, next year my tax bracket will still be 24%.

I'm not even going to get into all the corporate tax breaks that are out there.

Now, some people will say that anyone can benefit from our current tax rates from investing... Sure, in theory. But most Americans don't have individual investment accounts. They may have retirement accounts, but those are treated differently. VERY FEW Americans (only the rich) really get to take advantage of those taxable gains rates.

Warren Buffett is well known for saying that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary does. When you have a system of taxation set up like that, it accelerates the wealth inequality in the country.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Today, the Dow is down around 177 points, and the NASDAQ about 40. This is an indication that my wealth will be reduced by approx $12K.

Redistribution is working.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:07 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,236 times
I watched Money Masters by Bill Still a few weeks ago and learned how it all works. The truth is that a debt based financial system is designed to enslave people, not to serve them. The system is designed to get everyone wage slaving to service our debt. And the battle is over who prints the money; private companies, or we the people. The federal reserve is privately owned, as are all the central banks. They create money fraudulently out of nothing. It is not backed by gold or assets, and banks further down the chain can lend out many times what they have on deposit, and with interest - what they lend out, with respect to commercial loans is created out of nothing, simply based on a promise to repay.

This doesn't directly address the OP, but there's a serious lack of appreciation about how the elite intend to screw everyone below them over. Time to wake up. Monetary reform is required.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
When one relies on global terms like "let's, they should, we ought to" etc., it becomes clear that it is really a rant, not a serious discussion.

Likewise, it's somewhat revealing that the OP has not returned to the thread to clarify, in spite of about half the posters commenting on what they 'think' the OP meant.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
There's no "fair" way to redistribute wealth. What we can do though, is make future taxation fairer.

The truly wealthy benefit by having their assets invested, and their maximum long term capital gains tax will be 20%. Now, I am upper middle class, but I pay a higher percentage of taxes than they do. Even after this new tax bill, next year my tax bracket will still be 24%.

I'm not even going to get into all the corporate tax breaks that are out there.

Now, some people will say that anyone can benefit from our current tax rates from investing... Sure, in theory. But most Americans don't have individual investment accounts. They may have retirement accounts, but those are treated differently. VERY FEW Americans (only the rich) really get to take advantage of those taxable gains rates.

Warren Buffett is well known for saying that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary does. When you have a system of taxation set up like that, it accelerates the wealth inequality in the country.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#7f0b715b3279

This article at Forbes was an interesting analysis of that statement.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:35 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
There's no "fair" way to redistribute wealth.
Of course not, since it is nothing more than theft and distribution of stolen goods. By definition it cannot be "fair".

Old 01-29-2018, 05:01 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Today, the Dow is down around 177 points, and the NASDAQ about 40. This is an indication that my wealth will be reduced by approx $12K.

Redistribution is working.
Damn I’m good, just over $12.2K

Old 01-29-2018, 05:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The minimum wage needs to catch up with and be indexed to inflation.
You don't understand Inflation. The sole purpose of Inflation is to prevent goods, services and commodities from being over-consumed or depleted.

Indexing wages to Inflation guarantees that goods, services and commodities continue to be over-consumed or ultimately depleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates