Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times

Advertisements

So people fight to keep from having segregation in schools and work place, and that is a good thing. However if you notice, we segregate our self's from one another. Each town and work place, their is always that part of town were all x race lives, and work place you get x groups. Since this is the case, why even fight it if were going to do it on our own.

This is thread is not be racial bias, so please keep it clean and civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 02:50 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
The book Color of Law addresses this topic and presents the argument that what looks like 'de facto' self segregation is actually the result of government policy that, while since removed, has never been remedied, and therefore still largely exists today. It is worth a look.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Self segregation usually follows cultural lines. I have been able to function in other countries, but I communicate and socialize better with folks whose background is similar to mine.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:59 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
This is an interesting topic...at least to me.

I have a different view of this than some. I lived overseas for a couple of years (Thailand) and had no desire whatever to associate with "my kind". I preferred spending time among the Thais, a very different culture. But, I guess most people are not like me in that regard.

What some of us fight for is the right of all people to live where they want to live, providing they don't want to exclude others. We fight against the old color code, housing restrictions, the old "Negro towns" that existed in many communities, etc.

There's a difference between personal choice and legalized discrimination.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is an interesting topic...at least to me.

I have a different view of this than some. I lived overseas for a couple of years (Thailand) and had no desire whatever to associate with "my kind". I preferred spending time among the Thais, a very different culture. But, I guess most people are not like me in that regard.

What some of us fight for is the right of all people to live where they want to live, providing they don't want to exclude others. We fight against the old color code, housing restrictions, the old "Negro towns" that existed in many communities, etc.

There's a difference between personal choice and legalized discrimination.
Precisely. Who someone chooses to hang out with is their own business. I might see some choices as myopic and narrow. However, I wouldn't challenge someone's right to make them.

The reason we have laws against segregation is not to force people to associate with one another. That's a lie that some right wing groups have tried to foist on those ignorant of history.

Laws against segregation exist so that minorities can have access to public facilities and accommodations, to decent schools, and to public transportation. They exist to prevent entire groups of Americans from becoming second class citizens in their own country.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
We fight for non-segregation but we segregation our selfs
Our parents fought to not have segregation imposed or forced upon any of our selves.
That their children would have the right to CHOOSE for themselves.

Quote:
However if you notice, we segregate our self's from one another.
People should have the right to make choices for themselves and mostly we do.
This principle extends to all manner of things.

Quote:
Since this is the case, why even fight it if were going to do it on our own.
Who's fighting? No one that I'm aware of.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I think most people buy the best house they can afford in the best school district that they can afford.

Also, developers tend to build neighborhoods with houses that are approximately the same size and cost.

The result is segregation by incomes, not race. My Black neighbor happens to teach calculus at the Air Force Academy. Another neighbor, who is from India happens to be a dentist. Most other neighbors are engineers or realtors, or finance professionals.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:23 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

The result is segregation by incomes, not race. My Black neighbor happens to teach calculus at the Air Force Academy. Another neighbor, who is from India happens to be a dentist. Most other neighbors are engineers or realtors, or finance professionals.
No one minds having minority neighbors as long as they're nice middle class or better people. But no one wants gang-bangers, MS13, Taliban people anywhere near them.

The problem is that there aren't enough of the former to go around. The latter either live with themselves or with lowlife whites. Since lowlife whites and lowlife minorities are the communities in which racism typically resides, these groups segregate themselves as much as they can.

That explains why good neighborhoods usually have some minority presence, although not representative of their share of the population. It also explains why low class people seem to live in communities more segregated than the better class ones.

That's my theory.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So people fight to keep from having segregation in schools and work place, and that is a good thing. However if you notice, we segregate our self's from one another. Each town and work place, their is always that part of town were all x race lives, and work place you get x groups. Since this is the case, why even fight it if were going to do it on our own.

This is thread is not be racial bias, so please keep it clean and civil.
I think segregation is ok if it's voluntarily. I would say most people prefer living around their own race, interests or socioeconomic status etc.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
There is often a correlation between race and culture so self segregation from one will also appear to be self segregation from the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates