Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,166 times

Advertisements

Interesting "Everybody and their mama likes to talk about how the suburbs are going to be dead in XYZ years and how the cities will be where it's at soon!"

No one I know talks about that.

No one we hear about is moving to bigger cities. People are fleeing LA and NYC and moving to Texas to escape the bigger cities. Texans love small towns and when cities get to big they move to rural areas.

So I have no idea what you mean about people talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker
- Suburbs allow for a high quality of life that even moderate-income people can afford.
Sprawl is functionally obsolete (and suddenly not as "affordable") once we quit subsidizing it and go to a per-mile gasoline tax, and/or expanding tolls to currently free roads and highways.

Quote:
- If you live in the suburbs and want access to the "culture", amenities, museums and unique restaurants that cities offer then you can just take the train or drive into the city
If that train exists. Most suburbs fight that stuff tooth and nail because they're concerned about "undesirables" taking the train to their development. Or, never mind a train, a bus. So in those places you will drive. Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do in most any city, by the way.

I'd rather live either in a city or out on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Suburbs tend to have most of the city aggravations (high taxes, traffic, and yes - crime) without the amenities beyond shopping strips.

This description does not apply to every place that gets labeled a "suburb" of a nearby larger city. You've got Alexandria, Virginia which was there before Washington, DC across the river, for one example.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Sprawl is functionally obsolete (and suddenly not as "affordable") once we quit subsidizing it and go to a per-mile gasoline tax, and/or expanding tolls to currently free roads and highways.

If that train exists. Most suburbs fight that stuff tooth and nail because they're concerned about "undesirables" taking the train to their development. Or, never mind a train, a bus. So in those places you will drive. Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do in most any city, by the way.

I'd rather live either in a city or out on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Suburbs tend to have most of the city aggravations (high taxes, traffic, and yes - crime) without the amenities beyond shopping strips.

This description does not apply to every place that gets labeled a "suburb" of a nearby larger city. You've got Alexandria, Virginia which was there before Washington, DC across the river, for one example.
Except many people like to live in the suburbs, do not want to live in a city or to be cut off living out in the country. What is your objection that you would want to make driving more difficult and expensive.

You better believe we drive into the cities. Even crazy driver cities like Boston. No problem, just a little adventure. Trains? No, no, and no.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Except many people like to live in the suburbs, do not want to live in a city or to be cut off living out in the country. What is your objection that you would want to make driving more difficult and expensive.
It's not even that I want to. I'm here to say it will happen.

It's like when I say a magnitude-8 earthquake will hit LA one day. It's not that I want it to happen. But it will.

My mileage of course is going to vary on the city/suburb/country question. I have no kids, so schools aren't a consideration, and I don't need a lot of space.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Yeah, suburbs are unsustainable if we want to preserve the natural beauty of this country. A city just uses land in a much more thoughtful way. Everywhere there are suburbs there are millions of acres of possible natural habitat that is destroyed to make way for them.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's not even that I want to. I'm here to say it will happen.

It's like when I say a magnitude-8 earthquake will hit LA one day. It's not that I want it to happen. But it will.

My mileage of course is going to vary on the city/suburb/country question. I have no kids, so schools aren't a consideration, and I don't need a lot of space.
What makes you so certain these things will happen?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What makes you so certain these things will happen?
Because we cannot support this sort of infrastructure, funding it inadequately as we do right now, for much longer.

It's not that you can't live 30 miles from your job anymore, it's just that it will become significantly more expensive than it is now.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Most of the people bashing suburbs are pretentious idiots with no kids, or people who are rich enough to pay for a quality of life that will never be attainable for the average person.

It's easy to commit to $25,000 per year nursery school when you have a lot of money, but the average person needs an environment where they can raise their kids that doesn't cost so much to avoid a deprived childhood.

Cities work well for the very rich, and to some degree for the poor; not so much for everybody else
This is the correct answer.

That's why I laugh at all the folks on C-D who love to brag about how urban their trendy, super expensive (overpriced) city neighborhoods are and talk about how "boring," "vanilla,' and "lame" their city's suburbs are.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Most of the people bashing suburbs are pretentious idiots with no kids...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
...a lot of 'burb-bashing is done by childless hipsters rejecting where they come from. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
...People always bash places they know nothing about.
I’m one of the rare pretentious idiots without kids, who doesn’t bash suburbs. Instead, I bash the Heartland, having lived here for some 20 years, and thus having some experience with the place. I’d much rather live in the most anodyne and unimaginative suburb/exurb of a major Coastal city, than in the most glamorous downtown of a second-tier Midwestern city.

Suburbia has become shorthand for the drift, ennui and excess of late 20th century America. To bash suburbia simply means to bash the smug but ultimately ignorant trappings of a post-war America whose affluence was phony and unstable. It’s less a rallying-cry for environmentalism, public transit, recycling, bicycles, coffee-shops and organic food, than a condemnation of the sleepwalking stupor by which America frittered away its multiple advantages, through decades of insular conceit.

Of the many oddities of American history and American life, one that especially starkly obtrudes, is that so many Americans are the sons and daughters of landowners. Their great-grandparents moved to the cities for employment. Their grandparents grew up as city-dwellers. Then, these sons and daughters (and their parents) decamped to the suburbs. In most of the rest of the world, a tiny minority – the aristocracy – owned all of the land. Most people were peasants, working the land, but owning nothing. When they moved to the cities, they didn’t trade bucolic freedom for industrial oppression. On the contrary, they moved to the city to find greater freedom. And quite possibly, this urban migration was only 30 or 50 years ago… not in 1900. So, the attitude towards cities is entirely different. The city wasn’t a gritty place, from which to escape, for more space and better schools. Rather, the city was a place to go for indoor plumbing and electricity.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,489 times
cities are for rich people, and the service workers that support them

i personally would love to move to a suburban/rural area with 5 acres minimum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates