Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:03 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

As I woke up this unusually warm September morning to go back to work, I was thinking about myself, my family and my country, in no particular order.

The U.S. is great, and maybe the greatest nation ever. From the incomparable beauty of the ocean beaches, to the waving fields of grain. to the forests of the Appalachians and the rugged beauty of the Rockies and the desert, the physical beauty is incomparable. As a general proposition. America has been and remains a land of opportunity. If you come to work and improve yourself as well as your adopted land, America gave and still gives people a second chance in life. I do carry the flag for my people, the Jews, and the Jews would not be alive in viable numbers in the world if not for America. This greatness has a history.

Prior to the colonization of the New World, the Old World was dominated, depending on where you were, by Islam and/or Christianity (we'll leave Buddhist and Hindu Asia out of the discussion for now). The one thing both had in common was that each was rife with rules and restrictions on what non-majority religions or ethnic groups could do or not do. These restrictions often took a deadly form, with the Spanish inquisition as but one example. Even Moorish Spain, considered a bright spot by many, imposed humiliating restrictions on Jews, known as "dhimmitude". Virtually all European countries prevented Jews from owning land, holding office and, where applicable, voting. These restrictions existed even in England, the cradle of liberty and freedom.

Fortunately, the dam burst during the two centuries after 1492. The Americas were a place where, at least initially, the various King's courts and priests' writs did not run. The focus was on what people could do to tame a wilderness, not the way they chose to worship G-d.

Now, there are other countries that have some or many of these aspects. But not all of them.

America does not need to be made "great again." It is great. And America is by no means perfect. But at least it tries.

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-04-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
We had slavery for hundreds of years. We had the Trail of Tears. We had Jim Crow. We had internment camps during WWII. We took our sweet time allowing 1) those who did not own property, 2) women, and 3) non-whites, to vote. We criminalized homosexuality until 2003. We did not legalize same-sex marriage until 2015.

Despite all that's positive about the U.S., I think all of that disqualified the country from ever being considered "great."

Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
We had slavery for hundreds of years. We had the Trail of Tears. We had Jim Crow. We had internment camps during WWII. We took our sweet time allowing 1) those who did not own property, 2) women, and 3) non-whites, to vote. We criminalized homosexuality until 2003. We did not legalize same-sex marriage until 2015.

Despite all that's positive about the U.S., I think all of that disqualified the country from ever being considered "great."
Are there any countries that meet your criteria for greatness?

I suppose countries whose origins are utopian ideals meet the grade. Those include:
  1. The USSR;
  2. Democratic Republic of North Korea;
  3. Democratic Kampuchea;
  4. Cuba;
  5. Italy circa 1921-1944; and
  6. Germany circa January 30, 1933 - May 8, 1945.
Movements aspiring to greatness typically have names and ideologies such as Seminoro Luminoso, an organization dedicated to remaking Peru. Or Students for a Democratic Society.

Sarcasm aside, the path to greatness is an evolution.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:58 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are there any countries that meet your criteria for greatness?
That is a good question. Maybe not.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
That is a good question. Maybe not.
Even though it is inconceivable I would agree with you on anything I appreciate the honesty and sincerity of this post. We stand on opposite sides on most issues but I value quality debate.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:10 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sarcasm aside, the path to greatness is an evolution.

You mean Revolution.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Great can be temporary. I think the people of many countries are already happier than the US and many countries are in a better position to sustain what they have going forward.

Too much hubris at the wrong time is like a canary in a coal mine. And this is the wrong time.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Great can be temporary. I think the people of many countries are already happier than the US and many countries are in a better position to sustain what they have going forward.
Which ones? And happiness based on what measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Too much hubris at the wrong time is like a canary in a coal mine. And this is the wrong time.
What to your mind is the difference between hubris and pride?

Old 09-04-2018, 02:49 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
I think our nation is better than most, maybe all. But even if we are the best, all too often we fall short. We have had terribly dark periods and incidents, as well as times that should make people's hearts soar. We have the potential to be great, but that is not what I have seen of late.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think our nation is better than most, maybe all. But even if we are the best, all too often we fall short. We have had terribly dark periods and incidents, as well as times that should make people's hearts soar. We have the potential to be great, but that is not what I have seen of late.
Except perhaps for the last sentence your post says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates