Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times

Advertisements

No.

The press is free and sometimes they work with local governments to conceal information like this. But if I were the media I wouldn't. Still, they're free and it's up to them.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But what I mean is, is that the by mentioning race, they are insinuating racial motives. That's the insinuation.
mainstream media "insinuates" what they want into their stories whenever they want.
We pointed out an error in one of their broadcasts and were rudely told "It's only the news Mr ######, it's only the news".
Take from that what you want...pathetic I know!
The mainstream news media spreads propaganda and lies, and deceit in EVERY broadcast they give...it's just unfortunate that the masses believe everything they're told...I mean it must be true, it's the news..right?..WRONG!!

I agree that it's not right, but investigative broadcasting dyed for mainstream news media a loooooong long time ago....and I guess they discovered how easy it is to just make up their stories to suit what they want to say, and how easy it all goes down...so that's how they do it.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Why do you think its ok to legislate what the media does or doesn't report? That's what's really disturbing...

Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I have no respect for the 'media' anymore. IMO they are nothing but a bunch of partisan, anti-anyone that doesn't agree with their ideology or agenda, and Trump haters. Boy, Bush Derangement Syndrome was never this bad.
But I do agree - if they are going to report the race/ethnicity of a victim, they should do it consistently. Do it or not do it.
I only flip through American media looking for the 'good stories.' Otherwise, I watch BBC and Israeli news. It's like night and day. Actual factual reporting on US issues. Imagine that.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Basically a lot of homicide news headlines will mention the race of the victim, if the victim is not white, I noticed.

But I feel that this can create the wrong impression in people who watch the news, or read the articles, giving people the idea that the killings may have been racially motivated, which in many cases, they are not.

There was a homicide that happened where I live, for example, and people were fueled with racial frustration over it, even though it wasn't racially motivated, and the fact that the race of the victim was mentioned in the headlines, I think had a great deal to do with it.

It feels like the media does it to stir a reaction or create shock value, and I feel there should be a some sort of law in place that prevents them from mentioning race of homicide victims, especially in cases where the race was not motivated. But since they do not know the motivation, they shouldn't be mentioning anything that can suggest motivation, until the suspect is proven guilty, I think.

I'm not for censorship in general, but I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to suggest motives, to create shock value for the sake of shock value either, cause it gives people the wrong ideas.

I mean it's okay to mention it in the actual article, depending on how you go about it, but in the headlines themselves, when you read headlines that say things like "White police officer shot and killed a black man", you start to think that the media is really stirring the pot or pushing an agenda possibly, instead of an article saying something more like "police officer shot and killed a man", and then just tell the news story, and let people decide for themselves how to feel, rather than force an impression on them.

But what do you think?
So you want to restrict the media?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:46 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
First, how you gonna "not allow" the media to say something?

Second, I usually don't hear the race of the victim or the (alleged) perpetrator mentioned unless there is a specific reason for it (light-skinned suspect on the run wearing a blue jacket, etc). I think the OP is the victim of confirmation bias when he thinks he does or does not hear the race mentioned.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
But what I mean is, is that the by mentioning race, they are insinuating racial motives. That's the insinuation.
Sounds like you're making the insinuation. Just stating a fact doesn't insinuate anything.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Insinuation of a motive by reporting the race?

Sounds like you're a snowflake who gets upset over the facts.

I don't care if the suspect is black, white, yellow, or green. I want the facts. Does it suck that some demographics commit the lion's share of crime? Yes. But it's not going to affect my life.

I assure you white people get just as upset over a white mass shooter as blacks get over a local criminal thug or Muslims get over a Islamic terrorists. Every group has their bad apples.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Media is nothing but propaganda machine these days. They don't report facts, they shove their opinion down your throats and try to pass off their opinions as fact. Saddest part of it is that people actually take what the media says at face value.

I believe they add to the notoriety of crime. Look at how much they talk about school shooters.

If the media does not report the race/religion of the criminal, it seems like they're not white. If it's suspected terrorism and race/religion is withheld, that means they were Muslim because the media doesn't want to report that.

The media loves to stir racial tensions among people. They love to divide us and group us by sex/race/religion/economic status. Some of us are dumb enough to fall for it while the media keeps getting richer and more powerful.

Even places like ESPN have to interject politics into sports. Just give me the score to the game and shut up. I don't care what you think about Obama, Trump, same sex marriage or whatever social justice "cause" is the new fad for the week.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So you want to restrict the media?
Basically I feel the media should report crimes, but just report the stories as is, without making insinuations. That's all. By mentioning the race in the headlines, it sounds like they are trying to raise an eyebrow and make people think that it's the victims race that got him/her killed or something like that, when it could be something completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates