Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 PM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times

Advertisements

The National Anthem means different things to different people but it and the flag deserve our respect. I believe that people should stand when it is played at a sporting event and you have a choice to sing along, look at the flag and think about how lucky we all are to live in America and getting ready to watch a good game or you could even be thinking about what you will have for dinner but standing is a sign of respect for America as a whole.

The players should be extra grateful that Americans have the freedom to watch the game that ensures that the players get paid well and they can go on to make life better for their families.

There are not too many countries in the world that would pay a guy millions to run fast and throw and catch a ball.

Whatever it is that you reflect on when you stand for the minute it takes for the anthem to play out is up to you but you should stand.

If a player is not happy with the country then he should take his influence and a pile of money to try and enact change.

Did the kneeling players actually know why they were kneeling beyond protesting the rare but highly publicized police brutality?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The National Anthem means different things to different people but it and the flag deserve our respect. I believe that people should stand when it is played at a sporting event and you have a choice to sing along, look at the flag and think about how lucky we all are to live in America and getting ready to watch a good game or you could even be thinking about what you will have for dinner but standing is a sign of respect for America as a whole.

The players should be extra grateful that Americans have the freedom to watch the game that ensures that the players get paid well and they can go on to make life better for their families.

There are not too many countries in the world that would pay a guy millions to run fast and throw and catch a ball.

Whatever it is that you reflect on when you stand for the minute it takes for the anthem to play out is up to you but you should stand.

If a player is not happy with the country then he should take his influence and a pile of money to try and enact change.

Did the kneeling players actually know why they were kneeling beyond protesting the rare but highly publicized police brutality?
Rare. Well sort of. But once is too often.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I agree ^^^. I've never understood why the anthem is played for anything other than international competitions (and even then, we get it - people are proud of their countries, but patriotism doesn't need a sound track).
Is the US the exception or the norm when it comes to playing the anthem?
A quick google search revealed that the US is the exception. Most countries only play it in international competition. The only other country I did read that might play their anthem prior to non-international professional events is Ireland.

I'm of the opinion that the anthem loses what makes it special when it is overplayed. If it must be played at sporting events, it should have been kept to national holidays or maybe playoff series openers - season openers, etc.

More isn't always better. I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm at an event where the anthem is played - people "drone it." The anthem is rote . Honestly, it reminds me of what Catholic* church sounded like when I attended when I was younger. Many people just going through the paces with no actual thought on what any of it means.

*I'm not looking to start a debate/argument on religion here. But I did feel it was a good parallel. For the record, there are many devout Catholics out there that do not "drone on."

Old 06-06-2018, 06:13 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Obviously, many (especially those who do it) do not know exactly what kneeling traditionally signifies!
Kneeling before a person or object indicates total submission and fealty to said person or object.
Therefore, those players are indicating their total submission to the National Anthem and the United States. I'm OK with that!
Actually, a much more meaningful protest would be to take 50% of their huge salaries and donate it to the causes they espouse. That would most assuredly do more good than creating hate and discontent!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
I'm torn. I stand for the Anthem but it was never uncommon to see able bodies individuals not stand during the Bush years too. That said if you are not standing for it, why are you? If you just do it to do it, I have no respect for that at all. Honestly at least be silent during the anthem. I hate it when you have the cat-calls during high notes and find that more offensive than kneeling.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No link, haven't you heard all the controversy with the football players (Colin Kapernik et al) going down on a knee with anthem was being played. And now all the football club owners are making major stands on this issue.
That's not what your OP is about, though. According to the thread title, it's about a Civil Rights attorney making a statement about what the football players are doing. But there was no link in your OP to anything about that.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,118,548 times
You are free to do as you wish on your own time and on your own dime!

When you are being payed you are on someone else's time and dime and must conform to the image that they set. No different than wearing uniforms...you are representing your employer and conform.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
You are free to do as you wish on your own time and on your own dime!

When you are being payed you are on someone else's time and dime and must conform to the image that they set. No different than wearing uniforms...you are representing your employer and conform.
Some of us value freedom more than we value a tune.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
A quick google search revealed that the US is the exception. Most countries only play it in international competition. The only other country I did read that might play their anthem prior to non-international professional events is Ireland.

I'm of the opinion that the anthem loses what makes it special when it is overplayed. If it must be played at sporting events, it should have been kept to national holidays or maybe playoff series openers - season openers, etc.

More isn't always better. I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm at an event where the anthem is played - people "drone it." The anthem is rote . Honestly, it reminds me of what Catholic* church sounded like when I attended when I was younger. Many people just going through the paces with no actual thought on what any of it means.

*I'm not looking to start a debate/argument on religion here. But I did feel it was a good parallel. For the record, there are many devout Catholics out there that do not "drone on."
I guess you never watched a professional sport broadcast from Canads.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:45 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There has been a lot in the news with this standing for the Anthem and that those who "take a knee" are not patriotic. The attorney is taking calls and many veterans are calling in giving their position on this one and the two I heard said they have no problem with those who do not stand for the anthem. One lady called in and couldn't see it any other way.

I have always stood at events when it was played but when it's played on my tv I don't get up and stand in my living room.

Standing or sitting or kneeling or laying down doesn't make anyone more or less patriotic...IMO. The Attorney feels the very same way. Some out there come off like holier than thou and are selling our country out.

I don't want to get into any debate as I know what I believe, but didn't know where to place this. Maybe mods feel it should go some place else.

Bet you don't kneel when you're watching the game at home either 😏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates