Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 03:39 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times

Advertisements

Number of people in the US (2016) reported using heroin in the past YEAR - 948,000
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...-united-states

Number of marijuana users (2015) in the past MONTH - 22,000,000
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...-united-states

There are also these numbers from a different survey/source

"In a Yahoo News/Marist survey, studies showed that approximately 35 million Americans use marijuana on a monthly basis. At least 78 million surveyed reported having tried the substance at some point in their lives.
Altogether, 55 million residents reported using marijuana within the past year."
Marijuana Statistics in 2017: 55 Million Americans Admit Use

So 55 million users of MJ in the past year vs 948,000 users of heroin in the past year.

The idea that pot use leads to heroin use is false. If it were true, there would be many more heroin users. The Feds want you to believe this nonsense, when in fact, OxyContin (oxycodone) is the real gateway drug to heroin and it is a prescrition. The Feds knew what a disaster OxyContin was going to be and never took action to control it until recently. Th huge increase in heroin use during the last 15 years mirrors the OxyContin epidemic. The 2 sides of the Big Pharma coin - push OxyContin while trying to limit marijuana use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Still, who is foolish enough to declare that its usage is healthy, leads to greater productivity and has greater benefits than potential negative consequences? In some respects, legalizing marijuana is like removing the helmet requirements for motorcycle riders. It may be legal, but, (except for isolated health conditions), is it really useful and desirable and does it generally lead to a positive outcome?
I will. It does wonders for pain management, anxiety, and a host of other things with fewer side effects.

Sativa strains are popular among certain demanding professions like software development as it can help with focus, creativity, and energy. More uplifting than a cup of coffee. https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-...us-and-addadhd

But if you do want to just chill "in da couch" with a stereotypical heavy indica to wind down after a long week of work why should that be any more stigmatized than a beer?

Edibles, topicals, and all other sorts of delivery mechanisms are out there now as well. So no second hand smoke or stink necessary.

We've recently been giving our elderly dog a CBD oil to help with his arthritis, nerve degeneration, and other issues. It has totally transformed him from being near the point we were ready to put him down to having a new lease on life.

The stores I've been to here in WA state are all well lit, clean, friendly, and have better customer service than most retail experiences these days. Also very much sticklers for following the rules laid out by the state

Last edited by notnamed; 06-04-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 04:05 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I will.

Sativa strains are popular among certain demanding professions like software development as it can help with focus, creativity, and energy. More uplifting than a cup of coffee. [url]https://www.leafly.com/news/strains-products/best-cannabis-strains-for-focus-and-addadhd[/url
I will too. You just described me, my strains, and my usage pattern in one succinct sentence!

Exactly 180 degrees opposite of the stereotype that is so strong in some people it blinds them to reality.

It is truly amazing how those with little to no experience post here like they know the facts, when in reality they COULD NOT BE more clueless.

Emphasis added because I'm losing patience with those types. Especially those types whose self-proclaimed expertise is based on "25+ years in 'street ministry' with hundreds of hard drug addicts". Sorry. That completely disqualifies you as being able to levy an objective opinion on this subject.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Emphasis added because I'm losing patience with those types. Especially those types whose self-proclaimed expertise is based on "25+ years in 'street ministry' with hundreds of hard drug addicts". Sorry. That completely disqualifies you as being able to levy an objective opinion on this subject.
Yeah, something completely missed by someone with an experience like that or the LEO earlier. Their perception is heavily skewed by the environment they are working in. That is not a cross section of marijuana users. It's just criminals and addicts who are most likely there due to socioeconomic issues. Completely unaware that the friendly upstanding neighbor that goes to church with them could be enjoying it as well.

Not entirely their fault though. It's a product of decades of government propaganda.

Last edited by notnamed; 06-04-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I will too. You just described me, my strains, and my usage pattern in one succinct sentence!

Exactly 180 degrees opposite of the stereotype that is so strong in some people it blinds them to reality.

It is truly amazing how those with little to no experience post here like they know the facts, when in reality they COULD NOT BE more clueless.

This is truly priceless. Here are your words earlier in the thread: "Very interesting. Especially since in my 47+ years of experience with the plant, my finding are diametrically opposed to yours. In other words: JUST THE OPPOSITE."

Ah, so his subjective experiences render his opinion null and void, but your subjective experience is valid. Why? Because you use the drug and he does not and you thus must get a better cross-section of the marijuana abuser population! Brilliant! Spiffy good logic, mate!

Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, something completely missed by someone with an experience like that or the LEO earlier. Their perception is heavily skewed by the environment they are working in. That is not a cross section of marijuana users. It's just criminals and addicts who are most likely there due to socioeconomic issues. Completely unaware that the friendly upstanding neighbor that goes to church with them could be enjoying it as well.

Not entirely their fault though. It's a product of decades of government propaganda.
For clarity purposes, what specific "government propaganda" dealing with marijuana has the state foisted upon us over the last twenty years? Which claims are demonstrably untrue?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:01 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
For clarity purposes, what specific "government propaganda" dealing with marijuana
has the state foisted upon us over the last twenty years?
More like 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_..._United_States
https://www.history.com/news/why-the...ijuana-illegal

Quote:
Which claims are demonstrably untrue?
Which aren't untrue?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes, I'm quite familiar with these mantras. I too was libertarian at one time and gravitated towards this sort of sophistry in defense of my belief system.

Let's try again: cite a specific piece of state propaganda from the last couple decades about marijuana that is demonstrably untrue.

To the contrary, over the past 15-20 years, we've been inundated with "bro science" in support of marijuana use. It's on full display in this very thread. Thus, we get these endless empty mantras and fallacious arguments, like, "Well, alcohol is worse and that's legal! Therefore, marijuana should be legal! Isn't that a tremendous, logical argument?

Standing against the massive tide of pro-weed propagandists (many of whom stand to financially profit off the suffering of others, a la the tobacco and alcohol industries), there are a few brave researchers studying the long-term effects of marijuana on the brain. It confirms the experiences of those of us who work with young people, and I mean people up through their twenties. Marijuana exacerbates the symptoms/effects of mental illnesses. Long-term marijuana deleteriously affects the brains of young people with psychosis, schizophrenia, chronic depression. It also adversely affects IQ: Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife | PNAS Again, this is a "duh" proposition to those of us who see weed zombies march in each day, but it's good to find more and more research confirming this. A loss of 10 IQ points with a person of average IQ, is significant.

It would be refreshing if advocates were frank about their advocacy. If you simply stated,"Look, I want to do what I want to do. I know there are serious risks in using this chemical, but adults should be free to do foolish, harmful things," I could respect that. Instead, we get fallacious arguments coupled with bro science, meant to obscure the legitimate data about the harm done by the long-term use of this chemical.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:40 PM

Some more research an data on marijuana:

"One of the biggest faux pas found with the common misconception of marijuana is how it compares to other drugs. Many people assume that the drug isn’t physically addictive, but in reality it can be incredibly mentally and socially addictive. A person’s mind begins to require it to experience a relaxed state, making it difficult for the body to naturally induce relaxation by itself. In 2009, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health stated:

'Marijuana is currently the leading cause of substance dependence other than alcohol in the U.S. In 2008, marijuana use accounted for 4.2 million of the 7 million people aged 12 or older classified with dependence on or abuse of an illicit drug. This means that about two thirds of Americans suffering from any substance use disorder are suffering from marijuana abuse or marijuana dependence.'

Dr. Phyllis Boniface, who specializes in psychiatric care, emphasizes how damaging marijuana can be.

'To compare it to alcohol … humans are designed to metabolize alcohol in the liver at a certain rate per hour. The brain is largely fat and this drug is stored in fat. So after the intoxication is long over we have a drug that’s hanging around, exerting an effect on your nervous system for weeks to months.'

As mental health studies become more advanced we are able to see the possible long-term effects of partaking of marijuana with one of the biggest problems being schizophrenia. Dr. Phyllis Boniface, who was quoted earlier, also goes on to discuss how individuals who partake in marijuana at a young age have earlier onsets of psychosis and schizophrenia. Studies are discovering that there may be a gene linked to schizophrenia, that when exposed to marijuana, can become active up to three years earlier than the standard diagnosed age.

When it comes to any sort of bodily health issues, studies show that the chemicals in marijuana can cause the body to kick its production of myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSC’s) into overdrive. MDSC cells are used to keep the rest of the immune system in check. They make sure that just the right amount of force is used to fight off infection. An increased amount of MDSC’s can cause them to suppress the immune system to the point where it can’t effectively fight off infections."

https://jenchapman.weebly.com/biology-1090.html

Old 06-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Yes, I'm quite familiar with these mantras. I too was libertarian at one time and gravitated towards this sort of sophistry in defense of my belief system.

Let's try again: cite a specific piece of state propaganda from the last couple decades about marijuana that is demonstrably untrue.

To the contrary, over the past 15-20 years, we've been inundated with "bro science" in support of marijuana use. It's on full display in this very thread. Thus, we get these endless empty mantras and fallacious arguments, like, "Well, alcohol is worse and that's legal! Therefore, marijuana should be legal! Isn't that a tremendous, logical argument?

Standing against the massive tide of pro-weed propagandists (many of whom stand to financially profit off the suffering of others, a la the tobacco and alcohol industries), there are a few brave researchers studying the long-term effects of marijuana on the brain. It confirms the experiences of those of us who work with young people, and I mean people up through their twenties. Marijuana exacerbates the symptoms/effects of mental illnesses. Long-term marijuana deleteriously affects the brains of young people with psychosis, schizophrenia, chronic depression. It also adversely affects IQ: Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife | PNAS Again, this is a "duh" proposition to those of us who see weed zombies march in each day, but it's good to find more and more research confirming this. A loss of 10 IQ points with a person of average IQ, is significant.

It would be refreshing if advocates were frank about their advocacy. If you simply stated,"Look, I want to do what I want to do. I know there are serious risks in using this chemical, but adults should be free to do foolish, harmful things," I could respect that. Instead, we get fallacious arguments coupled with bro science, meant to obscure the legitimate data about the harm done by the long-term use of this chemical.
You apparently missed the update in the same publication that refuted that IQ study. Discounting the effect simply as being due to socio-economic status. Absolutely no causation was shown. Heck, that certain folks keep pointing to that study is an example of said propaganda. That very study also found that there was no impact on those who started using it as an adult. So even if it were valid, only to prevent minors access. Ironically, it also showed that those that had used marijuana had a higher overall IQ than those that abstained for life.

Have you not heard anything Sessions has said about it, just recently? Including simply "good people don't smoke marijuana". Science was never behind the ban, simply cold outright racism.

It should be kept from minors with developing brains except for medical purposes. But why should a 40 year old be prevented from using it in their own home? Great grandma in hospice care? It has proven benefits and negligible proven risks.

https://herb.co/marijuana/news/potbo...perfect-strain
Your Government Is Lying To You (Again) About Marijuana - NORML - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

Last edited by notnamed; 06-04-2018 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates