Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:06 AM

510 posts, read 370,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Tobacco used to be the big gateway drug, but now that more people smoke pot than tobacco they have to figure out another reason why people smoke pot. I wonder what that could be?

Alcohol is a big gateway drug to hard drugs. Almost 100% of people who use narcotics started out on alcohol.

Or maybe there is no such thing as a gateway drug. People who want to get high will use whatever is available. Airplane glue. Canned duster. Banana peels. Whatever.

Why people smoke pot: 25% or so of Americans say they are in chronic pain. Pills from Big Pharma have killed millions, plus some don't work and/or cause side effects so bad they had to stop. Tobacco has killed millions, and many have serious health problems long before death. Alcohol has killed millions, between accidents and illnesses. Many of our foods have killed millions, often from drugs/chemicals allowed. 85,000 toxins have been approved for our are soil, air, food and water. Why are these things allowed?

As one gets to know more cannabis facts, one comes across info like over 1 billion have used it since our earliest recorded history, with no proven fatalities as a direct result. Sources of info include doctors around the world who've made cannabis their main study for many decades. Also, many cannabis users have used it daily for 40-50 years and still seem to be in good to excellent health. Some of these people include those who are very wealthy and productive, with 1 to a few hundred businesses owned.

A poll many years back asked those smoking it for medicinal reasons what they were treating and the #1 answer was depression. I've seen many say it saved their life. Smoked cannabis treats maybe 75 conditions but vaping cannabis oil treats hundreds of conditions, including making many stage 4 cancers go away.

Cannabis users aren't likely to make or lose a fortune whether or not it is illegal. Does it seem logical that those who fear losing the most are the ones most likely to deliberately lie, mislead, or hire lie believers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 04:57 AM

510 posts, read 370,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yes, it is a gateway drug. University studies done on our dime, BTW, often get funded only if they reach the proper conclusions. So it is with global warming and a host of others.

I would legalize, regulate, and tax all drugs. Sell them at drug stores, put the cartels out of business, put the Chinese and the Russians and the other government/cartels or drug gangs out of business.

It's anecdotal, but numbers run to perhaps 100: Everyone I ever knew who tried pot, tried other, "better" stuff. Often with eventually tragic results.

The FDA (pill company lobbyists) had to approve every researcher that wrote about cannabis using tax $$.
Finding good things to say about cannabis would reduce pill cos. profits, so they blocked those researchers from funding. 20,000 defective studies at an estimated cost of $1 trillion to taxpayers. I believe I read it was Gerald Ford in 1976 that gave the pill companies the exclusive right to choose only those researchers that would help them maintain or increase their wealth.

I've read about 20,000-25,000 pages about cannabis from hundreds of sources. If I wanted to lie, all that wouldn't have been necessary.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:28 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Those people are dying fast. Cannabis will be legal soon

Legalize it. There will still be rules at the work place, it you happen to be a pothead with a job. That will test you maybe after an accident, whereas if you come up positive, you are let go, or put in a drug program for 6 months or so until you come up clean. Some places like my work, has random tests that come up at anytime. Some have lost a good job because they cant stay clean.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is such an incorrect myth about the pharma industry!

Do you remember how hard the govt and DEA cracked down on opioid prescription drugs a few years back? Consider this was at a time when Oxys and other opiates were flying off the shelves and the pharma companies were making mega bucks from all the sales...we are supposed to believe this super powerful/ influential industry was OK with govt coming in and killing its cash cow drugs? LOL, YEAH RIGHT!

If they were so powerful and influential, they would have stopped Govt from enacting ANY new laws or regulations aimed at its profitable drugs.

When theres profits to be made off drugs, usually they ensure they are extremely easy to obtain...not nearly impossible! LOL
I know, you're like a broken record on that subject.

Except, you're wrong. Big Pharma has been spending many millions every year for quite a few years in order to protect their many billions in profit every year. Most off that money goes either directly into corrupt lawmakers pockets or into major 'perks' for those same lawmakers. In return, they are promising to keep marijuana illegal for as long as they possibly can.

That alone is a big enough force to get us into the predicament we are currently in. Whatever role cartels play in this just icing to the lawmakers. The mega-industries who are furiously lobbying to keep marijuana illegal includes Big Pharma, Private Prisons, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Law Enforcement. The combination makes the drug cartel money pale in comparison. And money is what it is all about.

Big Pharma has already recouped the R&D costs on opioids. Every pill they sell now is mostly profit. It doesn't cost them nearly as much to make them as they as charging for them. The more the government interferes and tries to clamp down, the more they can charge for them. Their profit is protected. On the other hand, such protection is not afforded or even possible once marijuana is legalized. It will cost them billions per year, there is nothing they can do about it, and they know it.

Last edited by Raddo; 06-03-2018 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 07:49 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
Marijuana is no more a gateway drug than sugar is. I've known many people over my life that smoke marijuana who do not do any other drugs. Most of these people are upstanding citizens, educated, with good jobs.

The whole gateway argument was nothing more than propaganda, reefer madness, lies made to the American people.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:01 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Except, you're wrong. Big Pharma has been spending many millions every year for quite a few years in order to protect their many billions in profit every year. Most off that money goes either directly into corrupt lawmakers pockets or into major 'perks' for those same lawmakers. In return, they are promising to keep marijuana illegal for as long as they possibly can.

That alone is a big enough force to get us into the predicament we are currently in. Whatever role cartels play in this just icing to the lawmakers. The mega-industries who are furiously lobbying to keep marijuana illegal includes Big Pharma, Private Prisons, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Law Enforcement. The combination makes the drug cartel money pale in comparison. And money is what it is all about.

Big Pharma has already recouped the R&D costs on opioids. Every pill they sell now is mostly profit. It doesn't cost them nearly as much to make them as they as charging for them. The more the government interferes and tries to clamp down, the more they can charge for them. Their profit is protected. On the other hand, such protection is not afforded or even possible once marijuana is legalized. It will cost them billions per year, there is nothing they can do about it, and they know it.

And let's not discount the anti-depressants etc. etc. etc. they push via ads on the evening news.
It is of little wonder why Big Pharma has opposed citizens growing their own medicine.

As I'm sure you know, most pills are derived from plant sources. Some of these can be purchased in both forms. Valerian root as an OTC capsule, and valium as its' extract would be 1 example.

Patenting issues are another reason pharmaceutical companies began their anti-cannabis campaign during the 1930's. Richard Nixon sealed the deal.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:24 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Is Marijuana a gateway drug?

NO! Especially in legal states where people don't have to buy it from a dealer who also sells the bad stuff. Keep it against the law, and people in pain will have to seek it elsewhere. It really does work, and has made a big dent in the opioid epidemic. Of course Big Pharma doesn't like that one bit. It reduces their obscene profits.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:16 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Marijuana is no more a gateway drug than sugar is. I've known many people over my life that smoke marijuana who do not do any other drugs. Most of these people are upstanding citizens, educated, with good jobs.

The whole gateway argument was nothing more than propaganda, reefer madness, lies made to the American people.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It really does work, and has made a big dent in the opioid epidemic. Of course Big Pharma doesn't like that one bit. It reduces their obscene profits.

How are pharma companies profiting so much, when hardly any doctors will give out prescriptions for opioid drugs anymore?

I guess they just accepted all their former addict customers taking their money to cartel supplied heroin?

Old 06-03-2018, 12:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Its not about R&D on opioids, before the crackdown, doctors everywhere were writing opioid scripts...that means LOTS were being sold.(lots of $$$ coming in)

However after the crackdown, its rare to find doctors that will give out opioids (MUCH less $$ coming in).

I dont see why its so hard for some to understand this, do you think the alcohol companies liked it when prohibition was enacted...of course not, it meant they were going to loose customers and money, due to a Govt law...same exact thing happened to the pharma companies...new laws = drastic decrease in sales on their most popular drugs. (thats pretty simple to understand imo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates