Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Workplace drug testing is a gateway to harder drugs - I know people who have stopped smoking pot and replaced it with meth, to reduce the risk of a positive in a random test.

i've been smoking pot since ice creams were 40 cents a scoop, and have literally never had the desire to try anything harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 12:18 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Breaking the law to get the pot is the gateway to future crime. One you cross that line it's easier to do so again.
I’ve seen plenty of pot heads on instagram who aren’t crime lords nor have criminal records.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Cigarettes were more of a gateway for me.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Its a gateway drug, sellers have other drugs for sell too. Marijuana introduces them to the dealers

As long as we're making allegations I'd say legal pharmaceutical prescription drugs introduce far more people to street dealers and 'hard' street drugs than marijuana does. Marijuana will stopp getting the blame when its lobby is as strong($$$) as BigPharma's.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anti-marijuana folks seem to point to this argument. But what do the studies say:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mar...up-in-smoke/2/

Interesting. So marijuana itself is not a gateway drug but rather those in high risk socioeconomic environments might use it as a gateway

I say we legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Like alcohol, it can be enjoyed responsibly.
I remember a quote it went something like "80% of drug addicts admitted marijuana as their first drug usage"

The main issue we have is that like alcohol, you'll have some addicted to the low level of them. Then you have people who want a "Higher" kick and that's the path to addiction.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is a HUGE generalization, and shows how strong the typical marijuana user stereotype is.

You, and many others in this thread, are basing your conclusions of only on the visible surface of marijuana use. By that I mean the typical stereotype you so eloquently described: "uneducated and haven't got a clue how to do an honest day's work".

But for every user like that, I can produce 100 that hold great jobs and are productive members of society. In fact, you are around them every day and you don't even realize it, because there is literally no way to distinguish them from a non-user.

^^^THAT ^^^ is the typical user, and they number in the tens of millions.

They are the ones that can afford to spend the $4 Billion+ in Colorado alone on marijuana products since it was legalized. The "uneducated and haven't got a clue how to do an honest day's work" could never afford to subsidize the marijuana industry to the lofty heights it has obtained, don't you agree?

So in the same way you have mistakenly described the typical pot user, you have also done the same for the typical pot dealer. In the non-legal states, the dealers that supply people like the ones I have just described are doing it more to fund their own use, or even just to help friends out. They are NOT pushing junk just to be making money. Leave that stereotype for the heroin dealers.

You know, I've been using it daily for 47 years (I am 61). I wonder when I'm going to gateway???
i'm talking about the pushers, not the USERS. I have friends that use all the time and think nothing of it. I like my glass of wine, they like their joints so they can get a bit high... who cares.

It's the PUSHERS that buy directly from the growers (not your buddies selling a bag here and there) that I'm talking about. They make huge bucks selling bales of it, not bags of it. THEY are the ones who will be without an income if pot becomes legalized.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as we're making allegations I'd say legal pharmaceutical prescription drugs introduce far more people to street dealers and 'hard' street drugs than marijuana does. Marijuana will stopp getting the blame when its lobby is as strong($$$) as BigPharma's.
And medical drugs are regulated so it isn't recreational...

If marijuana is good for medical use, then it shouldn't be used for entertainment

Old 06-02-2018, 03:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
The precise answer. Yes.

The only ppl making good on legalizing is the tax man and distributors. The buyers are mired in the 'mental vacation' mode . Unaware of the reality.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I don't think so. I will use myself as an example. I was first introduced to MJ when I was about 14. Smoked it off and on, it was available everywhere. Probably till I was about 20 or so. Took a 23yr break and didn't use any. Went on vacation with some old friends and smoked for a week straight. Took another 20 year break and didn't smoke at all till 2017 when it became legal in Nevada so of course I had to go to the dispensary and get some. Today I use edibles a couple times a month to get a really good night's sleep. I use indica so it makes you more sleepy than high.

It was always available. Sometimes I smoked it but more often I did not. I did not find it to be even mildly addicting. I quit effortlessly and it was never a concern. Never did pot use make me more interested or more likely to try other drugs. I was never interested in hard drugs even though I had easy access if I wanted to try them.

I think almost all drug users started out with pot. But very few pot users go on to use hard drugs.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:34 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anti-marijuana folks seem to point to this argument. But what do the studies say:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mar...up-in-smoke/2/

Interesting. So marijuana itself is not a gateway drug but rather those in high risk socioeconomic environments might use it as a gateway

I say we legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. Like alcohol, it can be enjoyed responsibly.
Yes, it is a gateway drug. University studies done on our dime, BTW, often get funded only if they reach the proper conclusions. So it is with global warming and a host of others.

I would legalize, regulate, and tax all drugs. Sell them at drug stores, put the cartels out of business, put the Chinese and the Russians and the other government/cartels or drug gangs out of business.

It's anecdotal, but numbers run to perhaps 100: Everyone I ever knew who tried pot, tried other, "better" stuff. Often with eventually tragic results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates