Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times

Advertisements

I will donate my organs when the doctors and the hospital donate their services.

I am not donating anything that produces profit for others unless I get a piece of the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
The uninsured would be in a position of being required to donate their organs upon death, but not (financially) able to obtain an organ if they needed one.

That bothers me a lot.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Good point above...what say you OP to this (the above) post???

Old 06-30-2018, 12:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Seems to me the OP regards any respect shown towards a deceased person (or body ) as totally unnecessary.
If that's the case OP, why even make out wills.....isn't a will supposed to be a LEGAL document?
Do you think that a will is of no good as the deceased decisions no longer matter anyways???

I would be very afraid that making harvesting of good organs "mandatory" would open up a huge can of worms (so to speak).
The wishes of the deceased and the dividing of his/her assets may be something that they (the deceased) spent a LOT of time deciding....sometimes years in the preparation of what they want left for their heirs...
You seem to believe that it doesn't matter WHAT someone thinks or says once they're dead......well you're dead wrong.
The human owns his/her body...not a gov..not a doctor...he/she deserves to know that when they go it'll be how they want it..........
OP, do you believe a person has the right to know how their body will be treated after death???
Should we lie...tell people what they want to hear....and then do what we want anyways, once they're dead?

Old 06-30-2018, 01:14 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
In order for organ donation to meet its goal would be to harvest it very soon after being verified deceased. Never mind that the person's organs could well be contaminated with cancer cells,blood borne pathogens....let's just perpetuate the human problem of slapping an organ into a live being and cross our fingers .

My sister is on a heart list...yet due to her current weakness she is not a good candidate for recovery. The irony is...her current heart is what is causing the weakness. She is a catch 22.

No mandatory...we have voluntary for good reason. A person's live choice.

I'm not on a donation list...my parts aren't serving me to well as it is..I highly doubt or wish to contribute to someone else's health getting worse. And my organs would do just that..

Old 06-30-2018, 02:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Another thing is that forcing donation could probably be argued as against the First Amendment under Freedom of Speech, just as it might be argued that forcing one to vote is against the First Amendment.

We have in this thread the constant argument that once dead, rights do not matter. If a person says when they are alive, however, "I declare that my body will not be defiled once I am dead,", is that not Freedom of Speech, is that not exercising it?

If once we are dead what we have said alive has become meaningless, then why have a Will?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:11 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
You are proposing a Totalitarian state. That's not anything most Americans are interested in living in.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The uninsured would be in a position of being required to donate their organs upon death, but not (financially) able to obtain an organ if they needed one.

That bothers me a lot.
This is absolutely correct.

Not that I agree with the OP anyway, but certainly it would only be reasonable to require donation if we had true universally accessible healthcare regardless of any ability to pay premiums.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
I think that would be too drastic. When you renew your drivers license the clerk should ask you at that point if you would like to register as an organ donor. Most people would not think of it right then unless reminded like this.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Compulsory is a dangerous path. As Parnassia eloquently put it, each of us has medical issues. That information is going to be helpful in determining if an organ is even wanted. I'm an organ donor, but for the life of me I'm not sure if someone getting one of my organs would be a gift or just cruel. My kidneys are shot, and I'll likely need a transplant myself at some point. I'm not sure how that affects the other organs. When I was younger, I smoked and drank a fair amount, as many of us did at that point. Someone is free to have my organs if they helped, but I'm not sure how one digests all of my medical information into an organized fashion to convey that on to transplant doctors in a timely fashion.

In a nutshell, I don't think they can, but I know little on the topic. All I know is that an old friend who does these told me to move near his office in Texas when the time is near. He told me the combination of drive-through liquor stores and no helmet laws for motorcyclists means he never makes plans for New Years Eve.

Still it leaves a rather unpleasant thought. If we owe our organs to society as a whole, does that mean that our estate (the true owner of the corpse) should benefit when a use is found? Or does that give cause to start to license lifestyle and checkups for the living. In a country where 40M don't have insurance, this could be quite a task. Does the executor of my estate have a legal burden to provide access to my organs by a certain point?

I understand the logic in having good organs being wasted to rot, but the emotional appeal/demand is making a large assumption that all organs are needed and desirable to have. Some sort of analysis of what's required by the donor and what's expected from a recipient and facilitator is needed before this becomes any sort of proposal at all.

And, it's important. So Op, do some homework, and then try again. Remember, you're pushing for the change. Decrying reasons as terrible gets you no closer to actually addressing said reasons than you were before. Every human deserves their own way to go. Ceremonial burial is one of the first signs of civilization. The still water here runs very deep and with many many reasons. If you're going to be chaotic and challenging without reason, you set your cause backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates