Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that most people would agree that bigotry in ANY form is both wrong and stupid (with very few exceptions, such as bigotry against slaveholders and/or child molesters) and that the world would be a much better place if most kinds of bigotry did not exist. However, I am beginning to form the opinion that some people on both ends of the political spectrum would like to make it illegal for people to publicly express bigoted and/or unenlightened opinions if it was in their power to do so.

So, do you agree or disagree that people should continue to be free to publicly express whatever view they want, as long as such opinions do not result in actions that cause physical harm to someone? (And, if so, would you change the last part of my question to "cause ANY kind of harm to someone"?)
I think it's easy to distill what makes certain speech offensive. And it has nothing to do with the speech itself. There are a few obvious examples of harassment, and some not-so-obvious:

Blatant:
- Following someone around, shouting insults, getting close and screaming, communicating threats
- "Protesting" via blocking entry to a building, vehicle, corridor, or other destination of the targeted party

Less apparent:
- Embellishing accounts of interactions with targeted person with exaggerations and inclusion of elements which never occurred. It's very easy to be convincing when the other party agrees to certain basics of the account, "foot in the door", and you tack on additional, untrue statements to tarnish a reputation with the intent to impede, extort, or slander.

Freedom of speech is freedom of opinion, and it needs to remain opinion, refraining from calling your personal opinions facts and otherwise damaging yours and the named party's credibility. You can discuss what you like with your friends about your feelings, but don't make untrue statements. LYING can be a crime, dependent on the context. Defamation is an intentional tort, which is most often pursued in a civil suit and remedied with damages assessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Freedom of speech is freedom of opinion, and it needs to remain opinion, refraining from calling your personal opinions facts and otherwise damaging yours and the named party's credibility. You can discuss what you like with your friends about your feelings, but don't make untrue statements. LYING can be a crime, dependent on the context. Defamation is an intentional tort, which is most often pursued in a civil suit and remedied with damages assessed.
Freedom of speech isn't merely freedom of opinion. It is freedom of expression, and that includes calling one's opinions facts. It also isn't illegal to damage another's credibility. It also isn't illegal to make untrue statements, with a few exceptions. Lying is very rarely an actual crime. You can't lie under oath, and you can't lie to federal investigators. But in general, lying is far from criminal.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
People should continue to be able to refuse service to anyone.
Ah, so we should be able to go back to the "Whites Only" days if enough racist business owners open up shop?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:46 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
No!

Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Freedom of speech isn't merely freedom of opinion. It is freedom of expression, and that includes calling one's opinions facts. It also isn't illegal to damage another's credibility. It also isn't illegal to make untrue statements, with a few exceptions. Lying is very rarely an actual crime. You can't lie under oath, and you can't lie to federal investigators. But in general, lying is far from criminal.
Acknowledging Making False Statements and Perjury, you're agreeing with me, while still trying to tell me I'm wrong.

All it takes to constitute defamation, which would be the civil catch-all for the cases that did not constitute a crime under the first two categories, is making untrue statements to someone other than the subject of the aforementioned statement.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Acknowledging Making False Statements and Perjury, you're agreeing with me, while still trying to tell me I'm wrong.
Let's look at what you actually said:

You can discuss what you like with your friends about your feelings, but don't make untrue statements. LYING can be a crime

Lying to my friends is never a crime. In what case would a lie that I say to my friends be a crime?

Quote:
All it takes to constitute defamation, which would be the civil catch-all for the cases that did not constitute a crime under the first two categories, is making untrue statements to someone other than the subject of the aforementioned statement.
That's false. Defamation requires more than making false statements about someone. Those false statements must be statements of fact, not opinion. If I say I think a lady down the street is the ugliest woman on earth, it doesn't matter if she is actually Miss America. In addition, most states require that the defamatory statements were either known to be false when they were made or the speaker was negligent in trying to determine if they were true. Finally, those statements must have damaged the person being defamed. If I lie and tell a third party that you have an IQ of 200, that's not defamation.

This is all beside the point, though, because this isn't even a crime. It's a civil issue.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Let's look at what you actually said:

You can discuss what you like with your friends about your feelings, but don't make untrue statements. LYING can be a crime

Lying to my friends is never a crime. In what case would a lie that I say to my friends be a crime?

That's false. Defamation requires more than making false statements about someone. Those false statements must be statements of fact, not opinion. If I say I think a lady down the street is the ugliest woman on earth, it doesn't matter if she is actually Miss America. In addition, most states require that the defamatory statements were either known to be false when they were made or the speaker was negligent in trying to determine if they were true. Finally, those statements must have damaged the person being defamed. If I lie and tell a third party that you have an IQ of 200, that's not defamation.

This is all beside the point, though, because this isn't even a crime. It's a civil issue.
Yes, that's why there's a hearing and you don't just automatically get a bill in the mail.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:23 PM

643 posts, read 329,197 times
I heard of an interesting interpretation of free speech involving a " street preacher" and a woman in Minneapolis.

A nut was standing on the street corner yelling " all women are whores" at women who passed by.

He yelled that at a woman as she approached and as she was going way.
She got fed up and found a cop and said she wanted to press harassment charges.

A public defender got a judge to throw out the case.
The judge ruled he did not not yell "you are a *****" nor use her name in the accusation.

By yelling " all women are whores" he was just stating his opinion.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I heard of an interesting interpretation of free speech involving a " street preacher" and a woman in Minneapolis.

A nut was standing on the street corner yelling " all women are whores" at women who passed by.

He yelled that at a woman as she approached and as she was going way.
She got fed up and found a cop and said she wanted to press harassment charges.

A public defender got a judge to throw out the case.
The judge ruled he did not not yell "you are a *****" nor use her name in the accusation.

By yelling " all women are whores" he was just stating his opinion.
I don't think there would've been a case even if he had used her name in private. Saying Miss Smith is a ***** is still expressing an opinion. Yelling it on a street corner might be a different story due to the potential for harassment. But telling a woman she is a ***** or telling a friend that she is a ***** is probably protected by the First Amendment.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
...Speech of all kinds should always be legal so long as it wouldn't reasonably be expected to cause physical harm...
If that were the case a couple of hundred years ago, we would still be British subjects.

Sometimes, speech that can be expected to result in harm is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates