Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 PM

272 posts, read 218,598 times

Advertisements

Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:13 AM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them. Look, I can understand if someone throws a punch at a cop and especially goes after them with a knife and gun the cop taking the person down, but when it comes to a purely verbal altercation other than deciding to give a guy a ticket why arrest and get violent with someone that is purely verbally say cussing you out or whatever? It's completely absurd.

It just seems as if most cops think any kind of "disrespect" warrants an arrest/beating. Hell, as awful as it would be a person could say something like "I'm going to rape your wife and kids!" and they still have no right to arrest them.
No. I do not. In fact, I do not view the role of the police in ANY instance at all, to administer beatings to suspects, no matter what the individual is suspected of doing, and certainly not in response to anything a person who is arrested says.

Police are their to protect and serve, and to enforce laws.

They are not "judge jury and executioner", although, nfortunatly there are many instances when that is exactly how they act.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 AM

24,713 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Time and time again you see videos where a person and a cop are arguing and despite the person not physically attacking them in anyway the cop eventually just grabs the person and arrests/beats them.
If a cop gives a lawful order then must comply, failure to do so results in an arrest and charge of "failure to obey a police officer" and "obstructing a police officer." You can hate cops all you want, but it's best not to be ignorant of the videos you are watching and what gives cops the 100% right to arrest/take you down.

America's cops are low paid and they deal with low life scum all day. They're not interested in arguing with you, they're just going to arrest you and I support that 100%.

The pure disrespect that citizens have for cops only justifies their actions even more. They are serving their community and we in turn treat them like pure crap. Unless you plan to be a cop, you have no room to judge.

So yes, what you do or say to a cop DOES warrant a beat down because cops are not going to sit back and take that bullcrap from the scum of society who they have to look for, arrest, or capture every single day. I don't see anyone here patrolling soutside Chicago.

Last edited by Rocko20; 08-31-2018 at 01:43 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 03:26 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,834,524 times
If you're not "obstructing," desturbing the peace, or disooeying legit orders, then no. They can leave the situation if they want to. They can't be trusted for the most part anyway, they think their gods among mortals.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:52 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. I do not. In fact, I do not view the role of the police in ANY instance at all, to administer beatings to suspects, no matter what the individual is suspected of doing, and certainly not in response to anything a person who is arrested says.

Police are their to protect and serve, and to enforce laws.

They are not "judge jury and executioner", although, nfortunatly there are many instances when that is exactly how they act.
Somebody is going to come along and say that their job is not really "To protect and serve", so I'll nix that right now by saying that I have seen many police departments have on their patrol cars the phrase "To protect and serve".

Old 08-31-2018, 09:54 AM

50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If a cop gives a lawful order then must comply, failure to do so results in an arrest and charge of "failure to obey a police officer" and "obstructing a police officer." You can hate cops all you want, but it's best not to be ignorant of the videos you are watching and what gives cops the 100% right to arrest/take you down.

America's cops are low paid and they deal with low life scum all day. They're not interested in arguing with you, they're just going to arrest you and I support that 100%.

The pure disrespect that citizens have for cops only justifies their actions even more. They are serving their community and we in turn treat them like pure crap. Unless you plan to be a cop, you have no room to judge.

So yes, what you do or say to a cop DOES warrant a beat down because cops are not going to sit back and take that bullcrap from the scum of society who they have to look for, arrest, or capture every single day. I don't see anyone here patrolling soutside Chicago.
No sir. We are American citizens. And whether you or they like it or not, we pay their salary. The legislators we elect write and enact the laws. So we have every right to judge. And actually, they do not have the right "to judge".

Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 AM

7,789 posts, read 6,411,593 times
Walk in the cops shoes for a time, it will change your opinion.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,785,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Walk in the cops shoes for a time, it will change your opinion.

OK, if I were a copper I’d take on the wrong attitude too. That doesn’t mean the attitude is correct.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:32 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,926,715 times
Quote:

Didn't we have a discussion on this just the other week on how police confrontations go? You have to put the argument into context. Police can require you to comply with a lawful act, for instance when facing arrest. The conversation usually goes in three stages - ask, demand, force. Textbook police procedure here:
1st step - Ask - Sir put your hand behind your back. No reaction from citizen.
2nd step - Demand - GET YOUR *** HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK NOW. No reaction from citizen.
Final step - Make - Cop face plants citizen and pins hands against back while applying tazer or bat against citizens skull.

So what do you suggest should be the approach after the ask phase? Police should return to squad car and bring out cookies and ask again?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,446,880 times
I think a lot of it has to do with human nature vs. following orders and laws to the letter.

I think when any new employee gets out in the field among non-criminals and criminals, they're not thinking about pages of the law books. They're operating on gut feelings and the same fight-or-flight that a non-officer would have when they have a suspicion. They operate fairly independently (supervisor not in the car with them) and do not have the immediate fear of their job that, say, someone whose manager resides within 10 feet of them at all times.

[My opinion] The problem is that, when these candidates are being screened, the go-getters and enthusiastic cadets who seem like they'd be an excellent fit, may in fact be too aggressive in some areas of the job. I believe that an officer must exercise just as much restraint as he or she does grit and proactive behavior. By all means, if someone tries to run or strike, take them to the ground.

I have heard more than once that a judge was "having a bad day" when someone received the maximum sentence for a non-aggravated crime. Even the most basic, entry level job expects you to leave your baggage at home and not bring your problems into work. There is no exception to sworn employees involved in enforcing and applying the law.

But I don't think this will soon change. People in general (non-criminals and criminals) are demonstrating an increasingly small tolerance for any type of discomfort and inconvenience. Whether seen on the streets as millennial entitlement, or seen in prisons as an increasingly violent population over the last decade or two. It's happening to everyone. Think of how many crimes have been committed because someone felt disrespected.

I'm not a psychologist. I don't know whether this is a broken link in the work input-reward relationship in the human brains, aggressive/abusive parents or classmates, or reinforcement that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. But it's being unabashedly displayed with no shame whatsoever in acting out when people don't get their way. In all people. I see this problem getting a lot worse before it gets better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates